The Student Room Group

Medicine in Malta Competition?

Hi everyone, i wanted to know how competitive medicine is at the university of Malta. I have heard there are no tuition fees and the minimum entry requirements are B's in A-Levels. Of course i want to study medicine in the UK but studying in Malta is kind of like my back up plan if UK medicine somehow fails for me. So can i have a bit more information on how competitive it is? and What is the quality of teaching there? :smile:

Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by Jatyization
Hi everyone, i wanted to know how competitive medicine is at the university of Malta. I have heard there are no tuition fees and the minimum entry requirements are B's in A-Levels. Of course i want to study medicine in the UK but studying in Malta is kind of like my back up plan if UK medicine somehow fails for me. So can i have a bit more information on how competitive it is? and What is the quality of teaching there? :smile:

Thanks!

I'm sorry to have to tell you this but Malta has decided to up the grades for Uk students to A grades. And its not as just as simple as that. You need Chemistry and Biology at grade A in A2 plus a humanity and a language subject to at least AS standard. To make things worse they also require a Certificate in Medical Maltese that is only issued by the University of Malta, and they have not even published ANY information on what the exam is or how you might study for it. The closing date for international student entry is March 2015, but you need to check as they keep moving things around and changing their minds. Even the Certificate was postponed as a 2014 requirement. They might even drop the requirement again, but who knows?

If you have got the grades then you might as well buy your flight ticket. They are not interested in anything else other than your A-levels , and now also the Certificate in Medical Maltese. There is no competition you just need to meet the grades and places are unlimited and free so long as the UK stays in the EU.

The standard of teaching requires self determination and there is no spoon feeding. UK students seem to do well. You certainly need to be a confident individual if you are prepared to travel abroad to a foreign university in the first place. You will encounter some difficult English dialects from trilingual lecturers and resources that are well past their sell by date.

But ask any student there if they are pleased with their choice and they will tell you that they have no regrets in going to Malta, and many decide to not return to the UK once they have qualified.

If you want to go to Malta then you must seriously look into the Medical Maltese exam. It is the only serious hurdle to overcome apart from the two grade A A2s. There are hundreds of UK students who get rejected from UK Med Schools every year, not because they are not academically good enough, but because they have to be as there are simply not enough places for everyone. At least with Malta you know you will get in once you have passed the exams.
Reply 2
Original post by Heinz59
I'm sorry to have to tell you this but Malta has decided to up the grades for Uk students to A grades. And its not as just as simple as that. You need Chemistry and Biology at grade A in A2 plus a humanity and a language subject to at least AS standard. To make things worse they also require a Certificate in Medical Maltese that is only issued by the University of Malta, and they have not even published ANY information on what the exam is or how you might study for it. The closing date for international student entry is March 2015, but you need to check as they keep moving things around and changing their minds. Even the Certificate was postponed as a 2014 requirement. They might even drop the requirement again, but who knows?

If you have got the grades then you might as well buy your flight ticket. They are not interested in anything else other than your A-levels , and now also the Certificate in Medical Maltese. There is no competition you just need to meet the grades and places are unlimited and free so long as the UK stays in the EU.

The standard of teaching requires self determination and there is no spoon feeding. UK students seem to do well. You certainly need to be a confident individual if you are prepared to travel abroad to a foreign university in the first place. You will encounter some difficult English dialects from trilingual lecturers and resources that are well past their sell by date.

But ask any student there if they are pleased with their choice and they will tell you that they have no regrets in going to Malta, and many decide to not return to the UK once they have qualified.

If you want to go to Malta then you must seriously look into the Medical Maltese exam. It is the only serious hurdle to overcome apart from the two grade A A2s. There are hundreds of UK students who get rejected from UK Med Schools every year, not because they are not academically good enough, but because they have to be as there are simply not enough places for everyone. At least with Malta you know you will get in once you have passed the exams.

Thanks for your detailed reply! So would i have a shot at getting in? I am not doing a humanities or language, Is this a necessity for entry?

My AS-Levels are:
-Psychology
-Physics
-Chemistry
-Biology

I am thinking of dropping physics and caring on with the others to A2.
Reply 3
Thanks for your detailed reply! So would i have a shot at getting in? I am not doing a humanities or language, Is this a necessity for entry?

My AS-Levels are:
-Psychology
-Physics
-Chemistry
-Biology

I am thinking of dropping physics and caring on with the others to A2.

Anyone? I heard that the humanities and language A-Levels only apply to graduates???
Reply 4
Anyone? I heard that the humanities and language A-Levels only apply to graduates???

No quite the reverse, they are not required for grads. I think Psychology counts as a humanity as far as Malta is concerned, and also you can do English Language for the language bit. I think some people have used Eng Lit in the past but I might not be quite correct on that. It might just be that they managed to blag there way in with it on the quiet.

Sorry but you will not get in without the humanity and language.
Reply 5
Original post by Heinz59
No quite the reverse, they are not required for grads. I think Psychology counts as a humanity as far as Malta is concerned, and also you can do English Language for the language bit. I think some people have used Eng Lit in the past but I might not be quite correct on that. It might just be that they managed to blag there way in with it on the quiet.

Oh right. Thats a bit of a problem. So if psychology is classed as a humanity then i must have a language AS-Level. I am a native speaker of ------ so can I take that as an AS-Level instead?
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Heinz59

Or can i just state that i can speak another language in my PS and maybe they will not require it as an AS-Level anymore? Its just that taking a language AS-Level will be very difficult for me and i am no good at English lang/lit.
Reply 7
Or can i just state that i can speak another language in my PS and maybe they will not require it as an AS-Level anymore? Its just that taking a language AS-Level will be very difficult for me and i am no good at English lang/lit.

They just say you must have a language to AS level. You can do any language that is offered at AS level and I think it must be at grade D or above. You must also have GCSE English and Maths.
Reply 8
Original post by Heinz59
They just say you must have a language to AS level. You can do any language that is offered at AS level and I think it must be at grade D or above. You must also have GCSE English and Maths.

I have the GCSE's but i don't know any language, I do fluently speak ---- but reading and writing i can't do. Sorry about all these questions but can you give me some advice on what to do? I will never be able to do a language in a year and I was wandering if it had to be an AS-Level or another qualification that is more advanced level but only judges oral skills? (not in that way :tongue:)

Do you know of any such courses? This is my back up plan falling to pieces. :frown:
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 9
Surely a Grade D in English is easy enough at AS? You manage to write ok on here. You can study it online at various online providers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Heinz59
Surely a Grade D in English is easy enough at AS? You manage to write ok on here. You can study it online at various online providers.

But this would negatively effect me applying to UK medical schools which i intend to apply to if i get a bad grade in english lang/lit.
Reply 11
Well leave it til 2016 and take a gap? Also how would they even know you had taken it? You would enter as a private candidate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Heinz59
Well leave it til 2016 and take a gap? Also how would they even know you had taken it? You would enter as a private candidate.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good point! So shall i not declare the grade? I thought in Malta you have to take A-Levels within 2 years?

Thanks for all the help again.
So do we just check the website to see when we can start to apply?

Latest

Trending

Trending