The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Is it possible to switch from a BEng degree to an MEng degree?

I have an offer from Manchester for Engineering with an Integrated Foundation Year which gets me into a BEng degree. I was wondering if it would be possible to upgrade to a MEng degree in my second or third year??
Original post by ioclops
I have an offer from Manchester for Engineering with an Integrated Foundation Year which gets me into a BEng degree. I was wondering if it would be possible to upgrade to a MEng degree in my second or third year??

I'm in a similar position to you except I've just finished the foundation year and will be starting year 1 of my engineering course in September. The first two years for both the BEng and MEng are usually identical so there should be plenty of opportunity to switch.

Also, as far as I can remember, there was no opportunity to select a preference when applying for the integrated foundation year. The fact that everyone has to apply using the same course code regardless of which degree they want to do suggests that the University gives you the opportunity to choose later on.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Hi, the normal course of events is that you make a final choice between the BEng and MEng at the end of second year. However, it is normally easier to apply for the MEng and drop down to the BEng than vice versa, particularly from a student finance paperwork point of view.

However, IIRC you just apply for the foundation year via UCAS and then you can go on to any of the engineering programmes - you don't have to choose between the BEng and MEng yet

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by HandmadeTurnip
I'm in a similar position to you except I've just finished the foundation year and will be starting year 1 of my engineering course in September. The first two years for both the BEng and MEng are usually identical so there should be plenty of opportunity to switch.

Also, as far as I can remember, there was no opportunity to select a preference when applying for the integrated foundation year. The fact that everyone has to apply using the same course code regardless of which degree they want to do suggests that the University gives you the opportunity to choose later on.

How did you find the foundation year? Was it difficult?
Reply 4
Original post by Origami Bullets
Hi, the normal course of events is that you make a final choice between the BEng and MEng at the end of second year. However, it is normally easier to apply for the MEng and drop down to the BEng than vice versa, particularly from a student finance paperwork point of view.

However, IIRC you just apply for the foundation year via UCAS and then you can go on to any of the engineering programmes - you don't have to choose between the BEng and MEng yet

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks.
Original post by ioclops
How did you find the foundation year? Was it difficult?

I didn't find it very difficult, no. Although it depends on whether you've studied Maths or Physics before. I'd already done A-Level Maths before so I was familiar with a sizeable chunk of the course. It is pretty fast paced though, due to the amount of tests and coursework spread throughout the term, I tended to find that I almost constantly had something important to prepare for.
Original post by ioclops

Like the other two said above you should be able to swap. Mention it to your tutor in first year to see what the requirements are - normally a 2i at the end of second year or January exams of second year. There'll be an option to swap somehow, but you might have to have an interview with some academics as well.
Reply 7
Original post by Origami Bullets

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi. On a totally unrelated topic, how can I apply for a foundation year bursary??
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ioclops
Hi. On a totally unrelated topic, how can I apply for a foundation year bursary??

You don't have to submit a separate application - you just apply for student finance and tick the box that allows SFE to share your household income details with the university. From there, it all works automatically :h:

Quick Reply

Latest