The Student Room Group

Thinking About Becoming a Muslim. Ask me Anything

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Ggmu!
I'm not trying to convert you to Hinduism but I'd like to point out the actual concept of 'you have to be born into it' is alien to Hindus. There is no formal conversion ceremony so at what point do you call yourself a Hindu or not? If so why do you need to be born to carry out rituals or say prayers that anyone can say if they want to?

It doesn't make sense. It's just a label anyway. Most Hindus aren't the same.

Posted from TSR Mobile

i assumed you had to be born in due to the caste system. but maybe i've got the wrong end of the stick on that one
Original post by fojodef

I think you honestly need to take a look at what you're doing here. From what I have understood, you want to join islam because 'the people at the mosque were nice' which to me seems like a ridiculous reason. Furthermore, it appears as if you've gone 'testing out' all the other religions to see which you like best, hinting at a sense of you have no ****ing idea what you're doing.

Before you go into islam, you really need to do some research. It is an oppressive religion, extremely sexist, anti-any-other-religion and stuck in the dark ages.
Reply 42
Original post by fojodef
i assumed you had to be born in due to the caste system. but maybe i've got the wrong end of the stick on that one

Caste system is social and applies to indians.

Varna system does apply to Hindus but most modern Hindus reject the Varnas because society isn't split like it was into 4 distinct classes/occupations.

Varnas come from the Vedas and is religious. Caste is from other people and social.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 43
Original post by TheTechN1304
I think you honestly need to take a look at what you're doing here. From what I have understood, you want to join islam because 'the people at the mosque were nice' which to me seems like a ridiculous reason. Furthermore, it appears as if you've gone 'testing out' all the other religions to see which you like best, hinting at a sense of you have no ****ing idea what you're doing.

Before you go into islam, you really need to do some research. It is an oppressive religion, extremely sexist, anti-any-other-religion and stuck in the dark ages.

correct i dont and thats why im thinking about it. but thank you for your input
Reply 44
Original post by Ggmu!
Caste system is social and applies to indians.

Varna system does apply to Hindus but most modern Hindus reject the Varnas because society isn't split like it was into 4 distinct classes/occupations.

Varnas come from the Vedas and is religious. Caste is from other people and social.

Posted from TSR Mobile

i see. thank you for educating me.
Reply 45
Original post by fojodef
i see. thank you for educating me.

No problem, have fun picking a religion, or not.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by fojodef

Seriously, Islam is not presented in a good way in the Western media. The only advice I can give you is to read the Quran and the sayings of the Holy Prophet(pbuh) and decide it for yourself. Don't go on to look for the Islamic interpretations or Western ones. Just read and see how you feel about it. Religion is a very important aspect of one's life and you should be able to take a decision.

I know you don't have a religion right now but just try to pray to God to give you the strength to follow the right path. :smile:
Original post by fojodef
i dont follow one now.

nothing other than my own thoughts and considerations is stopping me.

things like the extremism, terrorism all the bad stuff that makes the news.

I'll spare you a 2 page long rebuttal and leave you with this; if you are ready and truly believe in your heart that there is none worthy of worship but Allah, that Muhammad is the slave of Allah and the seal of a long line of messengers, it's important you accept Islam as soon as you are able, not next year, next month, next week or even tomorrow, no-body has guaranteed you a tomorrow will even come.

Lastly, religion and faith are very personal things, don't concern yourself with what other people are doing or aren't doing, you will only be held accountable for your own deeds.
Reply 48
Original post by Anonymοοse

I'll spare you a 2 page long rebuttal and leave you with this; if you are ready and truly believe in your heart that there is none worthy of worship but Allah, that Muhammad is the slave of Allah and the seal of a long line of messengers, it's important you accept Islam as soon as you are able, not next year, next month, next week or even tomorrow, no-body has guaranteed you a tomorrow will even come.

Lastly, religion and faith are very personal things, don't concern yourself with what other people are doing or aren't doing, you will only be held accountable for your own deeds.

Do you think Jesus will love you for trying to increase your numbers?

Are you so insecure you need to talk down on Islam?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by fojodef

Are you looking for Rambo type action? (Jihadist?)
Reply 50
Original post by universal_set
Are you looking for Rambo type action? (Jihadist?)

yea im looking to join the royal marines.
so rambo yes. jihadist no.
Reply 51
Why do you think Islam has the answers that you seek as opposed to Judaism, Taoism, Jainism, or any other religion for that matter? Why does Islam happen to be the true path for you out of the myriad of world religions?
The Quran also mentions apostates should be killed. It is also disgustingly sexist.

You obviously do not know a lot about Islam. Only what you hear in the papers, it seems.
إِنَّ الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا ثُمَّ كَفَرُوا ثُمَّ آمَنُوا ثُمَّ كَفَرُوا ثُمَّ ازْدَادُوا كُفْرًا لَّمْ يَكُنِ اللَّهُ لِيَغْفِرَ لَهُمْ وَلَا لِيَهْدِيَهُمْ سَبِيلًا
Verily, those who believed and then disbelieved, then believed and then disbelieved and increased in disbelief, never will Allah forgive them nor will He guide them to a right way.
In this verse, Allah describes a person who apostates from Islam twice and He does not prescribe legal punishment for him, but rather He only warns the apostate about severe punishment in the Hereafter. This demonstrates that the general rule is an apostate should be left alone, as the Quran prohibits compulsion in religion.
Original post by fojodef
correct i dont and thats why im thinking about it. but thank you for your input

I'd strongly advise you to ignore all these Islamobes who are telling you this is an oppressive religion. The evidence they have for it is either non-existant or poorly cited. Unfortunately this is an aspect you're going to have to get used to if you join Islam, but haters will hate as they say.

What you might find helpful is study the Quran and the Sunnah, if you would like to know more about Islam and then you can be sure about your choice.

My mum is a convert, previously atheist, and so are quite a few of my friends, so I am quite aware of the issues/difficulties you might face as a convert into Islam. Therefore if you have any questions at all you are free to PM me, I will do my best to answer you.

Best of luck :smile:
Reply 54
Original post by Toxic_Legends
You obviously do not know a lot about Islam. Only what you hear in the papers, it seems.
إِنَّ الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا ثُمَّ كَفَرُوا ثُمَّ آمَنُوا ثُمَّ كَفَرُوا ثُمَّ ازْدَادُوا كُفْرًا لَّمْ يَكُنِ اللَّهُ لِيَغْفِرَ لَهُمْ وَلَا لِيَهْدِيَهُمْ سَبِيلًا

Verily, those who believed and then disbelieved, then believed and then disbelieved and increased in disbelief, never will Allah forgive them nor will He guide them to a right way.
In this verse, Allah describes a person who apostates from Islam twice and He does not prescribe legal punishment for him, but rather He only warns the apostate about severe punishment in the Hereafter. This demonstrates that the general rule is an apostate should be left alone, as the Quran prohibits compulsion in religion.

Even at that, I find it disconcerting. I don't like the idea of a God telling me that if I don't love him he'll just punish me in the afterlife because he didn't get what he wanted out of me.
Reply 55
Original post by Artorias
Why do you think Islam has the answers that you seek as opposed to Judaism, Taoism, Jainism, or any other religion for that matter? Why does Islam happen to be the true path for you out of the myriad of world religions?

when i went to a place of their worship they had the best sales pitch.

i havent found a taoism and jainism place of worship that im aware is near by.

ive visited whats available to me apart from coptic church and synagog
Original post by Artorias
Even at that, I find it disconcerting. I don't like the idea of a God telling me that if I don't love him he'll just punish me in the afterlife because he didn't get what he wanted out of me.

That's with any religion. All religions state if you do not follow their rules and teaching, you will go to hell fire. So, it isn't just Islam.

well it's a shame all those countries in the middle east ruled by islam don't seem to understand this as clearly as you do, otherwise they wouldn't be executing people for freedom of expression.
well it's a shame all those countries in the middle east ruled by islam don't seem to understand this as clearly as you do, otherwise they wouldn't be executing people for freedom of expression.

Every single country in the middle east which is supposedly ruled by Muslims and is under Sharia law is unfortunately corrupt. This is because if a king wants something to be halal they bribe scholars to pass a fatwa and say it's halal even if it isn't.
Reply 59
That's with any religion. All religions state if you do not follow their rules and teaching, you will go to hell fire. So, it isn't just Islam.

I'm aware, and it's one of the many facets of religion that I can't abide by and promote.

Quick Reply

Latest