The Student Room Group

Advice needed regarding housing benefit.

Hi,

I'm new and don't know if I'm in the right place, here goes. I'm a full-time student receiving student finance, my GF is pregnant and I wish to move in to help, If i did this would we/she be entitled to claim any extra help other than the student finance I currently receive which isn't really enough to run a house and support us all. Any advice would be appreciated.
It depends what other income you and her have, including savings.
Reply 2
Hi

There's no other income from work Etc, she is not working and gets IS etc, I know it'd all change if I moved in but was seeing if anyone is in the same boat. Also there is no savings, so I'd be moving in and taking just my student finance, as I'm not working ATM although looking.
Reply 3
Check DWP website for details

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Can't you abort if you can't afford a baby?

I'm not against the welfare system, but I think it should be for the genuinely needy.
Reply 5
I have it's really vague as if there is help you can get but they don't advertise it, if you get me.
you could try one of the benefit calculators, not too sure how they work if you are a full time student tho
Original post by chl0eellen
you could try one of the benefit calculators, not too sure how they work if you are a full time student tho

They won't work.
Reply 8
Original post by OU Student
It depends what other income you and her have, including savings.

Don't take this 100%, but I'm around 90% certain it doesn't depend. He wouldn't get SSG entitlement, unless she was also a full time student, meaning he wouldn't qualify for other benefits.

She should be able to claim HB/LHA and stuff though.

They won't work.

I'm actually trying to create one atm (mainly for disabled students), but it's such a murky area with regards to allowances and disregards and stuff that it's hell.
Reply 9
Thanks for all the replies, I went to CAB and we have an appointment to work out what help we can get, what I understand is child tax credits don't get affected by student finance, she can claim housing benefit, and there's something called parent learning allowance of up to £1528 a year which you don't pay back.
Original post by samba
Don't take this 100%, but I'm around 90% certain it doesn't depend. He wouldn't get SSG entitlement, unless she was also a full time student, meaning he wouldn't qualify for other benefits.

She should be able to claim HB/LHA and stuff though.

It does depend. He won't qualify if he was single. They'd qualify (it has to be a joint claim) if she's not a student.

And when you have a baby, providing you meet the income criteria, you're entitled to housing benefit as a student.
Reply 11
It does depend. He won't qualify if he was single. They'd qualify (it has to be a joint claim) if she's not a student.

And when you have a baby, providing you meet the income criteria, you're entitled to housing benefit as a student.

Just double checked for you: http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/documents/digitalasset/dg_195934.pdf

He will only qualify for SSG if she is a full time student. - There's no such thing as a 'joint' SSG claim, and there is no ESA/IB provision for fulltime students who are not eligible for ESA.

HB/LHA = Housing benefit :p:

edit: Worth noting that him moving in will likely hurt her benefits entitlement too, as his student grant/loan will be regarded as 'partners income'
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 12
Yeah her income support will be affected but no tax credits will be affected she can claim housing benefit and some of my maintenance grant will be taken into consideration I think they wipe £696 off for Uni equip books etc. And there's the parent learning allowance which I didn't know about which is up to £1528 for travel etc. So any students in the same boat as me ask about it as they won't tell you.
Reply 13
Original post by Chrisb1984
Yeah her income support will be affected but no tax credits will be affected she can claim housing benefit and some of my maintenance grant will be taken into consideration I think they wipe £696 off for Uni equip books etc. And there's the parent learning allowance which I didn't know about which is up to £1528 for travel etc. So any students in the same boat as me ask about it as they won't tell you.

Yea, it's £693 (£303 a year for travel costs and £390 a year for books and equipment) + an extra £10 a week disregard :smile: It 'could' you be better if you were 'officially' living elsewhere though, so it wouldn't cut into her support/entitlement. Unsure about exact numbers though; I'd need to consider it properly when less tired if it is a viable option for you.
Original post by samba
Just double checked for you: http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/documents/digitalasset/dg_195934.pdf

He will only qualify for SSG if she is a full time student. - There's no such thing as a 'joint' SSG claim, and there is no ESA/IB provision for fulltime students who are not eligible for ESA.

HB/LHA = Housing benefit :p:

edit: Worth noting that him moving in will likely hurt her benefits entitlement too, as his student grant/loan will be regarded as 'partners income'

eh? I never mentioned SSG.

The adults dependent grant is taken into account for tax credits. But no other student income is. She would have no income support entitlement, unless she receives carers allowance too.
Reply 15
eh? I never mentioned SSG.

The adults dependent grant is taken into account for tax credits. But no other student income is. She would have no income support entitlement, unless she receives carers allowance too.

https://www.gov.uk/income-support/eligibility

o.O

And you have an automatic ESA entitlement from about 8 weeks due too.

[ssg is a passport, so ascertaining eligibility is always useful]
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending