The Student Room Group

Few UMS off??

Hi guys
Quick question about A level results. I understand that universities don't see your UMS marks and only your grades. But say, if I was a few UMS of a certain grade (and this grade was required to fulfil my offer), would the universities know that I was a few UMS off? If this were to happen, would I need to contact the university before they decide on my place?

Hope this makes sense. Thanks
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by spanishovenfork
Hi guys
Quick question about A level results. I understand that universities don't see your UMS marks and only your grades. But say, if I was a few UMS of a certain grade (and this grade was required to fulfil my offer), would the universities know that I was a few UMS off? If this were to happen, would I need to contact the university before they decide on my place?

Posted from TSR Mobile

They won't know, and you won't be able to tell them before they make a decision because the universities get the results the weekend before you do and make their decisions accordingly. If it says unsuccessful on Track, it's game over because they will already have given you the benefit of any doubt they could have.
Reply 2
Hi guys

Posted from TSR Mobile

They wouldn't know you were close to the boundary- so definitely ring them up on results day and tell them how far you were away from the grade boundary. If you don't ring they won't know :smile:
Original post by smile:D
They wouldn't know you were close to the boundary- so definitely ring them up on results day and tell them how far you were away from the grade boundary. If you don't ring they won't know :smile:

Thanks for the help. Also to the above user too.

So if this were to occur, would I ring up a clearing hotline or ring the university up directly? Sorry about the questions, I just want to be prepared :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

So if this were to occur, would I ring up a clearing hotline or ring the university up directly? Sorry about the questions, I just want to be prepared :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh, also, between what UMS range would you suggest ringing up a university for? If I have calculated my marks correctly, I may be 10 UMS off an A* in one of my subjects. Would you suggest ringing up over 10 UMS or would this be pointless?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Oh, also, between what UMS range would you suggest ringing up a university for? If I have calculated my marks correctly, I may be 10 UMS off an A* in one of my subjects. Would you suggest ringing up over 10 UMS or would this be pointless?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't recommend ringing them up at all. Here's why:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1727737&p=33161254#post33161254

Parts of it are a little dated now there is no cap on ABB+ students, but it is still very, very sound advice. Please read it.
Reply 7
Ring them up and tell them that your xxx amount of UMS from the boundary AND that your sending your script(s) off for a priority (?) remark - Fingers crossed that they will hold your spot until then

I suppose it depends on the type of subject and how many exams you may be willing to pay for a remark.
Reply 8

Posted from TSR Mobile

To be honest, whichever gets you through to a person, so I would try both :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by carnationlilyrose
I don't recommend ringing them up at all. Here's why:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1727737&p=33161254#post33161254

Parts of it are a little dated now there is no cap on ABB+ students, but it is still very, very sound advice. Please read it.

That's very interesting, thanks for the link. I suppose it does depend on the uni though, my firm have asked me to send them my UMS if I miss the offer :dontknow:
That's very interesting, thanks for the link. I suppose it does depend on the uni though, my firm have asked me to send them my UMS if I miss the offer :dontknow:

Well, if they've asked, then you must do it.
Original post by Jkizer
Ring them up and tell them that your xxx amount of UMS from the boundary AND that your sending your script(s) off for a priority (?) remark - Fingers crossed that they will hold your spot until then

I suppose it depends on the type of subject and how many exams you may be willing to pay for a remark.

Thanks for the reply. Thanks to the others who replied to me too. So, if the university gets my results a week before, if they decide to give me a place despite if I miss a grade, would it inform me on track on 6am straight away that I have been confirmed? & if it is still pending, then I assume that means that I should ring up?

I'm like 90% sure that I'm 10 UMS off an A* grade in Psychology. With my other subjects, its a bit difficult to estimate alongside various resits. My firm choice is Aston and my offer is AAB.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by carnationlilyrose
Well, if they've asked, then you must do it.

Well yes, but the point I was making is that, from what I can see, there's no hard and fast rule about ringing them up, especially if your offer still shows as conditional. I also fail to see what the problem with ringing them up is; granted, it may annoy them but even if there is a minute chance that they might still be willing to take someone I'd say it's worth it.
Thanks for the reply. Thanks to the others who replied to me too. So, if the university gets my results a week before, if they decide to give me a place despite if I miss a grade, would it inform me on track on 6am straight away that I have been confirmed? & if it is still pending, then I assume that means that I should ring up?

I'm like 90% sure that I'm 10 UMS off an A* grade in Psychology. With my other subjects, its a bit difficult to estimate alongside various resits. My firm choice is Aston and my offer is AAB.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes it would show on track if they decide to accept you. If it still shows as pending/conditional definitely ring them up, I'd also say there's more room for manoeuvre if you get ABB+, as unis are allowed to take unlimited numbers of students with these grades :smile:
Well yes, but the point I was making is that, from what I can see, there's no hard and fast rule about ringing them up, especially if your offer still shows as conditional. I also fail to see what the problem with ringing them up is; granted, it may annoy them but even if there is a minute chance that they might still be willing to take someone I'd say it's worth it.

If Track still says conditional and they've asked you to contact them with your UMS, then do it.

If your offer is AAB then why are you worrying that you might have missed an A*?

Try begging the university, failing that go for a priority re-mark ASAP.
Reply 16

Posted from TSR Mobile

Track might not say at 6am. The uni might take a few days to decide and then they have to tell ucas and ucas have to update

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest