The Student Room Group

The US and UK banning uncharged electronic devices on flights?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by carnationlilyrose
It's only flights to the USA.

No it isn't.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-28223150
It's only flights to the USA.

Really?? I went on a family holiday to Spain a couple of weeks ago and the airport security made my younger brother turn on his tablet & then scanned it with some hand-held device. :confused:
Reply 42
Has this happened or are you merely speculating?

It's in all the articles about this, I will post them in a second (I'll edit this post)

I'm going to Greece on Monday so I will also be able to say what the procedure is actually like first hand- I can imagine checking in/boarding will take a lot longer if every phone is checked.

1) This prompted Heathrow and Manchester airports to advise US-bound passengers to charge electronic devices to be carried as hand baggage before travelling on Monday.British Airways said customers with uncharged devices would not be allowed to fly and would have to rebook their flights or else leave their device behind and board their flight without it.

2)
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/terrorism-in-the-uk/10952671/Airport-security-you-wont-fly-to-the-US-if-your-mobile-phone-battery-is-dead.html

3)
http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/manchester-airport-security-passengers-flying-7389472

4)
The TSA has added the following statement: “As the travelling public knows, all electronic devices are screened by security officers. During the security examination, officers may also ask that owners power up some devices, including cell phones. Powerless devices will not be permitted onboard the aircraft. The traveller may also undergo additional screening

5)
http://www.futuretravelexperience.com/2014/07/consistency-needed-charged-devices-regulations-ensure-passengers-prepared-new-airport-security-rules/
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by tnetennba
Really?? I went on a family holiday to Spain a couple of weeks ago and the airport security made my younger brother turn on his tablet & then scanned it with some hand-held device. :confused:

Original post by skd1996
It's in all the articles about this, I will post them in a second (I'll edit this post)

I'm going to Greece on Monday so I will also be able to say what the procedure is actually like first hand- I can imagine checking in/boarding will take a lot longer if every phone is checked.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/manchester-airport-security-passengers-flying-7389472

This is what my local airport has to say on the matter. I'm going by this, since it's them I'll be dealing with.
Reply 44
My phone can only charge wirelessly. I'd be ****ed.
Reply 45

This is what my local airport has to say on the matter. I'm going by this, since it's them I'll be dealing with.

I'm not sure what part you are referring to- but since then there have been more government announcements stating it can be on any flight from and into the UK.
Original post by skd1996
I'm not sure what part you are referring to- but since then there have been more government announcements stating it can be on any flight from and into the UK.

This part:

The new regulations could lead to delays at security though airport chiefs have not issued any specific guidelines.And there is no suggestion at the moment the stringent new checks, initiated by the US Transportation Security Administration, will apply to destinations other than the US.
An airport spokesman said passengers with any issues regarding the new guidelines should contact the airlines rather than the airport.

This is the most recent thing to turn up in reference to a google search on Manchester airport security, but if something new turns up, then I imagine we will all just take it on the chin like everything else.
Reply 47

Well thats none to clever, that article is from all the way back on Tuesday.
Whenever you board a plane you have to go through security, and all electronic devices are scanned in the x-ray machines... doesn't this already show if there is a bomb inside one of the devices?
Original post by n00
Well thats none to clever, that article is from all the way back on Tuesday.

There is no newer comment from Manchester airport.
Reply 50
There is no newer comment from Manchester airport.

Then perhaps you should go on what the government are saying. :wink:
Original post by Abstraction
Just more of the usual to keep the population in a state of fear and dependency on our increasingly tyrannical government. More and more we're going to keep being duped into letting the elite eat away at our privacy.

How come it's when ISIS is marching towards Bagdad that now Al-Qaeda suddenly has some genius bombmakers we need extra security against? Why are the government being so selective about when to release information? Why is the UK always taking information and orders from the US? There is no way the security services expect to find anything with these checks, so what's this all for? These 'terrorist threats' wouldn't have happened if our deranged leaders didn't go abroad and demolish the political, economic and social stability of the Middle East anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What a load of nonsense. There was no political, economic or social stability in the middle east under any of the tyrannies which existed prior to 9/11. If there were, then 9/11 wouldn't have happened.

Right now the world is at war with Islamism, and some sacrifices have to be made. It's not all a big conspiracy.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by n00
Then perhaps you should go on what the government are saying. :wink:

Perhaps. I await an update since I suspect they are making policy up on the hoof and it'll be different by the time I go away. In any case, I won't have a difficulty keeping everything charged up. I can't remember ever letting anything of mine go flat.
Original post by felamaslen
What a load of nonsense. There was no political, economic or social stability in the middle east under any of the tyrannies which existed prior to 9/11. If there were, then 9/11 wouldn't have happened.

Right now the world is at war with Islamism, and some sacrifices have to be made. It's not all a big conspiracy.

Sacrifices have to be made? And who told you that, the BBC? I'm not saying there's one massive conspiracy, just that there are very obviously hidden agendas. And its a bit amusing that you'd rubbish my post, and yet not really answer my questions, which point out some oddities. You seem extremely opposed to anything that questions the integrity of the reports handed to us by the corporate media. No one is going to stop me from questioning.

The US and UK just milked 9/11 and used it as an excuse to ramp up their terrorist activities abroad. What you haven't noticed is that the West is extremely capricious when it comes to foreign intervention. One minute, we're supplying arms and aid to dictators or overthrowing democracies, next we're invading countries under the guise of eliminating tyranny. If we hate tyranny so much, why don't we overthrow the terrorist state Israel? Why didn't we help out the Congo after the US killed Patrice Lumumba and installed a murderous dictator? Or stop the Rwandan genocide? The only governing principle is that we preserve our own interests. In fact, it's not even us they care about. The State needs to protect itself from the domestic population through secrecy, and the private corporations need to have their profits safeguarded.

Here, I think you'll find this pretty useful: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/0099448394?pc_redir=1404696185&robot_redir=1 The UK and US governments are criminal organisations.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Abstraction
Sacrifices have to be made? And who told you that, the BBC? I'm not saying there's one massive conspiracy, just that there are very obviously hidden agendas. And its a bit amusing that you'd rubbish my post, and yet not really answer my questions, which point out some oddities. You seem extremely opposed to anything that questions the integrity of the reports handed to us by the corporate media. No one is going to stop me from questioning.

The US and UK just milked 9/11 and used it as an excuse to ramp up their terrorist activities abroad. What you haven't noticed is that the West is extremely capricious when it comes to foreign intervention. One minute, we're supplying arms and aid to dictators or overthrowing democracies, next we're invading countries under the guise of eliminating tyranny. If we hate tyranny so much, why don't we overthrow the terrorist state Israel? Why didn't we help out the Congo after the US killed Patrice Lumumba and installed a murderous dictator? Or stop the Rwandan genocide? The only governing principle is that we preserve our own interests. In fact, it's not even us they care about. The State needs to protect itself from the domestic population through secrecy, and the private corporations need to have their profits safeguarded.

Here, I think you'll find this pretty useful: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/0099448394?pc_redir=1404696185&robot_redir=1 The UK and US governments are criminal organisations.

The worldwide jihadist movement told me that sacrifices have to be made. I am willing to endure airport security for the sake of defeating Islamic totalitarianism (not that I fly more than once in a blue moon). If it were only the corporate media saying these things, then I would be much more skeptical. But the evidence is there for all to see. You don't need any corporate media to tell you about the Taliban, for instance, or Al Shabaab. Everybody knows about all of it.

Which terrorist activities did the US or UK get involved in? Getting rid of Saddam Hussein? Getting rid of the Taliban regime? There are arguments to be made based on pragmatism that doing that was counter productive or for some other reason didn't achieve any meaningful objective in the war on Islamism, but I find it very hard to listen to people who call these things "terrorist activities". Their opponents are terrorists (Ba'athist totalitarians and Islamists, in this case).

Israel is not a terrorist state. Its opponents in Gaza (Hamas) are terrorists. They wish to destroy Israel and set up a tyranny (like they set up a tyranny in Gaza already). If Israel really were a terrorist state then it would have destroyed every civilian in Gaza by now (that would be well within its means). Again, you can argue that Israel's military intervention in Gaza is counter-productive, excessive or whatever you like, but to call it terrorist is nonsense. The reason the West supports Israel is because it is a democracy, plain and simple. Not a perfect one by any means, but sure as hell a lot better than Saudi Arabia, Sudan, Iraq, Jordan or Lebanon (for instance).

You nailed it about self-interest, though. Yes, states don't act against their own self-interest. That's not much of a revelation.
Original post by skd1996
In my experience I have not found an available, free plug socket at Gatwick at any of the terminals. They are limited- and they are not actually allowed to be used by the public- they are for cleaners. There may be some there- but not enough to cope with the demand.

It is difficult to keep a smart phone charged- even if the screen is shut and locked. That's without delays or flight changes.

They are definetly not free in the airports I've used- I'd be fine with the regulations if they were provided for free.

That doesn't occur. You simply are either told you cannot board that flight and must rearrange another or have the device taken off you.

Completely agree with this.

Well I've never seen anyone be shouted at for using a cleaners plug socket, also if your phone cannot keep charged for two-three hours without being unused then I think you need to get a new battery because that's not particularly normal.
Presumably it shows it's a real functioning phone. I doubt the makers of iphones leave so much free space inside that you can stuff a bomb in there as well.

But then what if you've got a modified device, or an android phone running a custom ROM, which happens to contain some software on it that will trigger a bomb if done in the correct way...

As you say though, it's a pretty kneejerk reaction and they really should provide charging points if they want to implement it
Original post by de_monies
But then what if you've got a modified device, or an android phone running a custom ROM, which happens to contain some software on it that will trigger a bomb if done in the correct way...

As you say though, it's a pretty kneejerk reaction and they really should provide charging points if they want to implement it

No idea what any of those words mean. Really regretting commenting on this thread, tbh.
No idea what any of those words mean. Really regretting commenting on this thread, tbh.

Sorry

To put it in laymans terms

Whatif you got a standard phone that you "hacked" which could be used to dial a bomb

And that wasn't picked up, but if it was powered off, you wouldn't be able to dial the bomb
Original post by de_monies
Sorry

To put it in laymans terms

Whatif you got a standard phone that you "hacked" which could be used to dial a bomb

And that wasn't picked up, but if it was powered off, you wouldn't be able to dial the bomb

Possibly. Sorry, I regret I even commented on this thread. (Not your fault, obviously!) Probably other posters would have an opinion/some knowledge.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending