The Student Room Group
Yes! You should definitely go to university! Regardless of your age, you can still do well for yourself. 26 is not too big of an age to chase your dreams. No age is to big to chase your dreams. It's up to you but it would be great of you to still go to university and I hope you do. If you decide to do it I hope you do well
I'm starting in september and I'll be 21 with a toddler as well hopefully won't be too much of a loner as I can't go out everynight and live the student life! You will be fine OP
Reply 3
Original post by Joshg94
Ok well i'm 20 at the minute and leaving for a year and hopefully 2 years in Australia with my friend in September. We will be working for around 5 months and then travelling for the rest of the time but i still can't think whether i wan't to go to university or not.

Computer forensics has always interested me and i have always wanted to study it at university but i will be around 22 when i start and i really don't know what to do because i will be 26 when i finish..

My family think i would be too old but i see it as.. Spend 4 years doing something i love and then eventually get my dream job or not go and be stuck on an apprenticeship doing something i might hate..

Also would taking 2 years off instead of one cause any problems?

Cant decide :frown:

Hi,

22 most definitely isn't too old for university. Some people in my year were in their 30s and 40s - and I don't think that's uncommon nowadays!

Me personally, I went to university for the first time when I was 18 and I really just didn't like it, the course and the general environment just wasn't for me at the time. So I ended up working for a few years before starting university the second time in a completely different field, when I was 21. This time around it was great and I really enjoyed it! And now have a graduate job in an area which I am passionate about. I'd definitely recommend going to university, at any age, if that's what you want to do.
ROFL, I'm 26 going into a degree.. hell yes it's worth it... I'll be 29 when I come out, I've known people who are 40 doing degrees... you're never 'too old'
Original post by Joshg94
Ok well i'm 20 at the minute and leaving for a year and hopefully 2 years in Australia with my friend in September. We will be working for around 5 months and then travelling for the rest of the time but i still can't think whether i wan't to go to university or not.

Computer forensics has always interested me and i have always wanted to study it at university but i will be around 22 when i start and i really don't know what to do because i will be 26 when i finish..

My family think i would be too old but i see it as.. Spend 4 years doing something i love and then eventually get my dream job or not go and be stuck on an apprenticeship doing something i might hate..

I'm 27 and I've been doing higher education on and off since I was 18. I'll be hopefully starting university next year at 28. There's no such thing as too old.
Original post by Joshg94

I wouldn't bother with Uni if I were you, many graduates find difficutly getting jobs, in fact, only 11% of people going to Uni get jobs. If I were I'd do an apprenticeship, you get paid atleast 2.32 an hour, imagine how much money you'll make after 50 hours of work, magic isnt it.
Original post by graham1472
I wouldn't bother with Uni if I were you, many graduates find difficutly getting jobs, in fact, only 11% of people going to Uni get jobs. If I were I'd do an apprenticeship, you get paid atleast 2.32 an hour, imagine how much money you'll make after 50 hours of work, magic isnt it.

You realise you can't apprenticeship in something like PC forensics... he NEEDS a degree for that... you pretty much need a degree to even be considered for anything in computing...

Plumbing... sure... apprenticeship...
(edited 5 years ago)
If you have the money then do it.
Original post by Joshg94

I went to uni at 22 doing Digital Forensics. I now have a really good job.

Yes, it is worth it.
Original post by graham1472

Source? At my uni 96% of people are in a job or more education after6 months and i didn't think other would be much worse...
Original post by Joshg94

One of my flatmates was 25. We didn't get to talk that much since he was out with his friends a lot and I was with mine. :smile: but he was really nice and we got along quite well when we were actually all in the flat.

But other than that, I guess that it will be worth it! I know quite a few people who are older than me (and you ahaha) around.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Joshg94

you should go! I put off going to uni and did an apprentiship as an IT Technician, and after a month I wished I had gone to uni. That's why im going to Portsmouth Uni this year to study Forensic Computing for 4 years :smile: ill be 25 when I graduate, but it will be well worth it :smile:
I'm 22 and I start in September. And the way I see it is that I have more life and work experience than most of my peers so I have a leg up over them.
Reply 15
Of course it's worth it, if that's what you think it's right for you!
By the way, I've done the very same thing. I'd suggest taking a year off and then, towards the end of it, deciding if you still want it to be two years or just one.
Good luck!
Of course it is.... there is no age limit for learning.

Latest

Trending

Trending