The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TraineeLynsey
Yes, but not every lesson, as the poster suggested.

Every term, half term etc I understand, but it sounds like in this case it's happening every lesson all of a sudden....

Original post by lantan
Oh, I know about that. It's just feels weird having someone in EVERY lesson again. Feels like I'm back in my first day of teacher training.:biggrin:

Yes, every lesson sounds a bit much. Why is that?
Original post by carnationlilyrose
Yes, every lesson sounds a bit much. Why is that?

I was told it is to help me dealing with the tricky year group lessons (I have three forms an all of them are quite difficult). It leaves me puzzled as to why all of my other lessons are being observed... Ahwell, I really can't care anymore. :biggrin:
Original post by lantan
I was told it is to help me dealing with the tricky year group lessons (I have three forms an all of them are quite difficult). It leaves me puzzled as to why all of my other lessons are being observed... Ahwell, I really can't care anymore. :biggrin:

Sounds like some people have got too much time on their hands. I very much doubt it'll continue in September.
Sounds like some people have got too much time on their hands. I very much doubt it'll continue in September.

I'm very pleased to say that I'll be in a different school in September. So just ten more days without shooting myself, and then I can say my goodbyes to that environment. :colondollar:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by lantan
I'm very pleased to say that I'll be in a different school in September. So just ten more days without shooting myself, and then I can say my goodbyes to that environment. :colondollar:

Well, if you're not in the same school, it makes no sense at all.
Well, if you're not in the same school, it makes no sense at all.

Do you mean no sense to observe me? I'm a bit puzzled myself. :smile:
Original post by lantan
Do you mean no sense to observe me? I'm a bit puzzled myself. :smile:

Yes, that's what I meant. Are you being employed by them? You've finished your course, haven't you? If they are employing you but won't leave you alone, they might as well have not bothered, because this way they are paying two people per class. I think you should ask them who they are passing the observations reports to.
Yes, that's what I meant. Are you being employed by them? You've finished your course, haven't you? If they are employing you but won't leave you alone, they might as well have not bothered, because this way they are paying two people per class. I think you should ask them who they are passing the observations reports to.

I don't think they are passing any reports as these observations are not official, so no proformas are filled in - they are essentially a "presence" in the lesson, with no feedback/comments afterwards (which is fine by me, I don't have room in my brain for more feedback at this stage!). And yes, you're right - don't they have better things to do?

I have to admit that throughout the year it has been very imbalanced observation wise - either somebody with me every lesson, or no observations for several months. No consistency whatsoever.

My present situation was triggered by me seeking advice on how to handle particular difficult pupils/reporting about particularly bad misbehaviour from pupils etc. I suppose I could have just kept it all quiet and not bother raising the issue but I simply could not put up any longer with disrespect...:s-smilie:
Original post by lantan
I don't think they are passing any reports as these observations are not official, so no proformas are filled in - they are essentially a "presence" in the lesson, with no feedback/comments afterwards (which is fine by me, I don't have room in my brain for more feedback at this stage!). And yes, you're right - don't they have better things to do?

I have to admit that throughout the year it has been very imbalanced observation wise - either somebody with me every lesson, or no observations for several months. No consistency whatsoever.

My present situation was triggered by me seeking advice on how to handle particular difficult pupils/reporting about particularly bad misbehaviour from pupils etc. I suppose I could have just kept it all quiet and not bother raising the issue but I simply could not put up any longer with disrespect...:s-smilie:
So could they be doing something that they think is helping you? They are simply providing a minder, as it were, so that you can get some practice in behaviour management? Did they say anything about this? And who is the person/people doing the observing?
So could they be doing something that they think is helping you? They are simply providing a minder, as it were, so that you can get some practice in behaviour management? Did they say anything about this? And who is the person/people doing the observing?

It was not explained to me properly, as one morning the Head of Department told me that there is going to be someone in every lesson now. Later in the day, sensing my confusion, they added that it's because they wanted to know the other side of the story as to why the kids misbehave with me, if there is anything that I'm not doing correctly. It was mentioned that they did not try to make me feel as if the misbehaving kids were my fault but in essence that exactly feels like they are looking for a fault in my teaching. So far this situation has not developed in any way as everything seems "fine", so I don't see it helping my own development in any way, other than that their presence pacifies the children.
I'm observed by every member of the department on a rota basis.
Original post by lantan
It was not explained to me properly, as one morning the Head of Department told me that there is going to be someone in every lesson now. Later in the day, sensing my confusion, they added that it's because they wanted to know the other side of the story as to why the kids misbehave with me, if there is anything that I'm not doing correctly. It was mentioned that they did not try to make me feel as if the misbehaving kids were my fault but in essence that exactly feels like they are looking for a fault in my teaching. So far this situation has not developed in any way as everything seems "fine", so I don't see it helping my own development in any way, other than that their presence pacifies the children.

Are you a trainee or a qualified teacher teaching atm??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lantan

That sounds awful. I can only sympathise and say at least it's not going to be going on for very much longer. I suspect some members of the department will be a teeny bit miffed at having to give up their frees and I hope they are sitting somewhere inconspicuous getting on with something and just lending moral support.
Original post by qwerty_mad
Are you a trainee or a qualified teacher teaching atm??

Posted from TSR Mobile

At this very moment I am qualified but I am at the end of my training year. :smile:

That sounds awful. I can only sympathise and say at least it's not going to be going on for very much longer. I suspect some members of the department will be a teeny bit miffed at having to give up their frees and I hope they are sitting somewhere inconspicuous getting on with something and just lending moral support.

I'm afraid moral support and that school don't coexist; mounting pressure does. However, I have learned to distance myself from it as much as I can, otherwise I would never finish my training. :biggrin:
Does your QTS certificate get sent in the mail? I had en email through from my Uni saying I've been recommended for QTS but in terms of your proof of QTS that you need for your NQT school this wouldn't suffice would it?
Hi,
I'm starting my PGCE in September, are there any particular books you found useful, as I want to buy some.
cheers :-)
Original post by Lucy_jucie
Hi,
I'm starting my PGCE in September, are there any particular books you found useful, as I want to buy some.
cheers :-)

Someone else asked this not long ago. I really don't think any book is needed pre-course. Enjoy the summer, put your feet up and get set to go in September. I think that's more important and beneficial.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm doing business studies secondary so wanted to refresh my subject knowledge, just wondered any books people could recommend, thanks
I'm doing business studies secondary so wanted to refresh my subject knowledge, just wondered any books people could recommend, thanks

Seriously, enjoy the free time. Do everything you think you might want to do over the next 9 months in advance.
Seriously, enjoy the free time. Do everything you think you might want to do over the next 9 months in advance.

I agree completely

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you really want to, 'Teaching Mathematics in the Primary Classroom' is good. It's really good to refresh your knowledge.

EDIT: Take back this post. Not relevant for your course. Sorry.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending