The Student Room Group

Thinking About Becoming a Muslim. Ask me Anything

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheTechN1304
The Quran also mentions apostates should be killed. It is also disgustingly sexist.

Please don't make false statements, the Qur'an has no such verse that the apostate must be killed, instead it constantly notes that all judgement is left to God, as he is the one to judge deeds.

The Qur'an instead states that:
'There shall be no compulsion in [acceptance of] the religion. The right course has become clear from the wrong..' (Qur'an 2:256)

As well as the 109th chapter specifically addressing tolerance of others beliefs.

As for the statement of sexism - please don't state this without providing evidence/context.
Reply 81
Original post by TheAnusFiles
Another reason why Islam is bad.

guess thats why the capital of pakistan is called islam-a-bad
Original post by getfunky!
Please don't make false statements, the Qur'an has no such verse that the apostate must be killed, instead it constantly notes that all judgement is left to God, as he is the one to judge deeds.

The Qur'an instead states that:
'There shall be no compulsion in [acceptance of] the religion. The right course has become clear from the wrong..' (Qur'an 2:256)

As well as the 109th chapter specifically addressing tolerance of others beliefs.

As for the statement of sexism - please don't state this without providing evidence/context.

The quran states that a woman is less intelligent than a man. Sounds sexist to me
The quran states that a woman is less intelligent than a man. Sounds sexist to me

That's merely based on finance related stuff
Because the duty of being the bread winner and dealing with all the finance related issues was given to a man therefore it is deemed he would be more knowledgable in this area

Jus like u would say a doctor is more intelligent than his patients in medical issues as he spent many years studying the course it doesn't mean he's superior or better than his patients but rather he is simply more knowledgable and this has greater responsibility to deal with the medical issues

Furthermore Women in Islam can work, have education, they can even earn money and not have to share a single penny with their husbands
And They can get involved in politics

And the status of a women in Islam is so beautiful as it is stated that paradise lies under the feet of the mother giving her so much respect and liberates her position in Islam

Also The prophet suggested if a man had daughters and raised them well the father will get the reward of being so close to the prophet on the day of judgement it's described as being as close and your two fingers joined together

Also Islam came in at a time when females were being buried alive Islam stopped this practice and ensures women were given a liberated status and were deemed as important in society so that makes were no longer preferred

I'm really confused how anyone can consider Islam sexist and a religion that discriminates against women because they are in fact so well respected and liberated as I have demonstrated above

Jus coz in places like Saudi women aren't allowed to drive doesn't mean suddenly Islam is to blame because in fact that is not in Islam there's no rule staring women can't drive that's jus Saudis law
So wat I'm trying to say is jus because these Muslim countries practice certain things doesn't mean it's a part of Islam

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by aishaahmed96
That's merely based on finance related stuff
Because the duty of being the bread winner and dealing with all the finance related issues was given to a man therefore it is deemed he would be more knowledgable in this area

Jus like u would say a doctor is more intelligent than his patients in medical issues as he spent many years studying the course it doesn't mean he's superior or better than his patients but rather he is simply more knowledgable and this has greater responsibility to deal with the medical issues
Posted from TSR Mobile

That is sexism through. Are you telling me that a man who owns a cornershop knows more about finance than a businesswoman earning 200k a month?
Original post by fojodef
i dont follow one now.

nothing other than my own thoughts and considerations is stopping me.

yes having your own and thoughts and brain would interfere with converting to islam. youll have to fix that
Assalamualaikum, if you decide to revert to Islam then welcome! We all welcome you with open arms.

If you need any advice (or just a friend online) to talk to about this please do not hesitate to message me :smile:
Original post by fojodef
lol no

but i keep seeing white ginger muslim guys. its quite funny. and they aint just normal. their full on big beard + hat + dress muslims.

im picturing you looking like this idiot
Reply 88
Original post by Toxic_Legends
That's with any religion. All religions state if you do not follow their rules and teaching, you will go to hell fire. So, it isn't just Islam.

Not at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 89
Original post by Meenglishnogood
im picturing you looking like this idiot

Can't help but feel like most converts look for belonging and Islam out of all religions has the strongest sense of community and family.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 90
Original post by Anonymοοse
I think you misread my post, there's no mention of Jesus or Christianity there and I'm not a Christian nor am I trying to "increase the numbers" of any religion.

I think it's kind of sad that you felt you needed to talk down on Islam when you are follower of another Abrahamic religion...

Posted from TSR Mobile
yes having your own and thoughts and brain would interfere with converting to islam. youll have to fix that

Just to clarify in islam we are encouraged to use our akl which is our thoughts and reasoning rather than blindly follow things
Allah uses the word in the quran yatafakaroon which means for those who think and reflect

Posted from TSR Mobile
That is sexism through. Are you telling me that a man who owns a cornershop knows more about finance than a businesswoman earning 200k a month?

Totally agree with you but my point was in general men are the ones working and sorting the bills out and that has been the case from the start of Islam so that's y this responsibility was given to a man

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just to clarify in islam we are encouraged to use our akl which is our thoughts and reasoning rather than blindly follow things
Allah uses the word in the quran yatafakaroon which means for those who think and reflect

Posted from TSR Mobile

i think that is a debateable concept, muslims are not permitted to critcally analyse the quran for example, as that would be deemd 'blasphemous'
Totally agree with you but my point was in general men are the ones working and sorting the bills out and that has been the case from the start of Islam so that's y this responsibility was given to a man

Posted from TSR Mobile

but his point was in the case of some men and women that isnt the case- some men are woefully incapable of managing money. the quran doesnt seem to have any understanding of this issue- it is making declarations and edicts based on 7th century arabic society , which is ludicrous
i think that is a debateable concept, muslims are not permitted to critcally analyse the quran for example, as that would be deemd 'blasphemous'

I'm sorry I completely disagree if the quran tells us to think and reflect upon the Quran I don't see how anyone can say u can't or u shouldn't

Wats ur evidence to suggest critically analysing the quran is deemed blasphemous and Muslims are not allowed to do it ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by fojodef
I went to a few churches.
tried them out. went to a catholic church & anglican church. no one noticed i was there and the whole routine of everything made me feel like i really stood out cause i couldnt say the same things at the same time as everyone else.

I went to a buddhist place and it was slightly awkward they were there to answer my questions but i didnt really go with any in mind. so they stood smiling waiting in silence lol.

went to a black pentecostal and they spoke to me which was nice. they wanted me there which again was nice. it was very emotive stuff but it was also very showbiz. i was very put off by the performance and music stuff coming to a climax and asking people for money at this moment where everyone was in a frenzy. i could sense a business working behind the scene and it put me off.

went to a sikh place with my friend and as much as it was nice it felt like really it was a thing for the community and not really for outsiders to come in. there was a sort of "this is your friend? thats nice. anyway..." type of vibe.

then i went to a small mosque and there wasnt many people there but they were extremely welcoming and sincerely wanted me to join on the spot. everything was very calm but i explained that making a commitment like that is something i am very carefully considering and that as much as i felt obliged out of politeness to convert on the spot i did not feel it was right as i would be doing it out of merely politeness rather than sincere commitment.

im yet to visit a synagog or coptic orthadox church yet. but they are still on my list.

its hard to explain whats drawn me to islam in particular.
im irish and have a history of drink. islam promotes not drinking alcohol.
in irish culture a lot revolves around drink. even the religion where wine is served at communion. i went into a cafe and they served nice tea and there was some guys playing chess. and i thought that was really cool cause i love chess but have rarely found people to play it with. it may all sound like trivial stuff but i think the culture revolving around islam and community with it was something i found very calming and stilled me stresses somewhat. there was a very still collectedness. it was very stress free. and orderly. and i feel like my life lacks order.

another element is history as the irish had strong links with egypt for it christianity and rome told britain to invade ireland to stamp out the irish church and thus severing the connection to egypt. but there was a celtic cross found in ireland with bismillah written in kufic arabic. which made me wonder if britain had not brought Catholicism by the sword that maybe we may have transitioned to islam along with egypt. far fetched i know.

also i have always admired the dedication. i have a 2 friends who have come out of prison converted to islam. they were very angry when they went in and are now very calm and sharp minded.

so those things have all played a part.

Edit: another thing is respect.

nothing is really sacred anymore. the action and outrage from muslims at the drawing of muhammad put me off. i thought it was childish and almost encouraged those who drew the images to draw even more to get such a big reaction with such little effort. but when people were talking about free speech i did wander why people found it so hard to respect what others find dear to them?

it made me angry that there is such a lack of respect from everyone to everyone.

so i think the respect that many muslims have and the care they take in their speech such as always saying peace be upon those who have died who are significant to them when they talk is something i have found admirable

hmm once I heard the irish part I had to help:P

sorry to hear about your experience in a catholic church..I dont know half of the responses anymore!:P (theyve been changed recently enough) it doesnt matter!

but its grand you wana join islam and its great you really thought about it

the one thing i will say about it all is that perhaps you should go with the religion of your family..if they have one:?

it would make things easier..and you could be very dedicated regardless of what religion youre in

I for one am a more conventional catholic "picking and choosing"
I have no problems with homosexuals but agree with the bulk of churches teachings..

furthermore I prefer certain aspects over others

so whatever religion you choose id advise taking a personal approach

best of luck tho...great to see yeh so interested
I'm sorry I completely disagree if the quran tells us to think and reflect upon the Quran I don't see how anyone can say u can't or u shouldn't

Wats ur evidence to suggest critically analysing the quran is deemed blasphemous and Muslims are not allowed to do it ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

the evidence voer the length od islamic history where anyone who has questioned a verse in the quran or even the actions of mohammed been arressted or perhaps executed - beelive it or not that still happens in modern muslim countries
and also opportunity to plot to blow up things, whcih this convert wanted to do, now in jail i think. before that he was on long term unemployment benefit. i think a surprising lot of convicted criminals in the west convert to islam

And the award for the most narrow minded person on TSR goes to.....(drum role)....Meenglishnogood!
Original post by Dan.dont
And the award for the most narrow minded person on TSR goes to.....(drum role)....Meenglishnogood!

this convert did exactly that, there is no narrow mindedness about it, you can read up on the facts of his case yourself. nice posting comment without thinking :cool:

Quick Reply

Latest