The Student Room Group

Special dispensation to ignore prior student finance - Advice?

Hello :smile: I have a question about student finance and decided that this would be the right place to ask. Haven't been on this site for about four years...

Anyway, I studied at University previously but dropped out with only a Certificate of Higher Education. I received funding for three years. As such, based on normal Student Finance rules, I know I can only get one more year of student finance - or so I believe. I'm poor, so that pretty much ruled out returning to University.

However! I did some reading earlier today, and found these posts in a thread about finance that are really promising:

You can get full funding for a new course if you provide evidence that you had to leave for health reasons, so a doctors or psychiatrists note. Ordinarily you would only have your tuition fee funded for the latter 2 years of a 3 year course should you start again so you'd have to pay the fees for first year yourself. However as you have compelling personal reasons providing you give evidence of this you should be fully funded for a new degree.

If you want to get funding for the whole of your new degree course you'll need to apply to student finance in the normal way, but they'll ask you for proof of extenuating circumstances - a doctors note and a cover letter from you explaining the situation may well be enough for them to remove the prior study from your record.

Now, I left University for very compelling personal reasons and could probably get more medical evidence than I'd ever need to prove that. So, therefore, is what these posts say true? Can you get your prior finance ignored and full funding if you didn't complete a degree when you were funded the first time around for legitimate reasons?

I suppose I'm slightly hopeful that I might be able to return to Uni - but I'd like some sort of confirmation that this can be done before I start looking in to it. I can ask my CPN to start working on evidence if so.
If you have compelling personal reasons, such as illness, your previous finance will be ignored. Providing you supply the evidence to prove this.

You won't be able to get funding for the first year due to your qualification. Unless you do something like nursing.
Reply 2
So I'd not get first year funding? That leaves me no better off... what if I do a different subject at a different University? A Certificate in social sciences might not be at all relevant to other things I could do.
It's the ELQ / equivalent or lower qualifications. It means that because, with some exceptions, you already have a certificate, you can't get funding for another.
I don't understand how you can receive funding for three years but only receive a CertHE. When exactly did you drop out? Did you pay university fees for the second year and then drop out, or did you leave right after you completed the first year? If it was the latter then you should still be entitled to a full student loan for a new degree regardless of why you dropped out.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Samual
I don't understand how you can receive funding for three years but only receive a CertHE. When exactly did you drop out? Did you pay university fees for the second year and then drop out, or did you leave right after you completed the first year? If it was the latter then you should still be entitled to a full student loan for a new degree regardless of why you dropped out.

Year 1 - First year, completed as normal
Year 2 - Second year, studied until exams, did not take exams, had medical reasons
Year 3 - Had a non-studying year in which I was to take exams at the end of the year, sort of second year again but without being able to attend lectures/etc

So I claimed three years, one for first year and two for two unsuccessful attempts at second year. I never actually took second year exams, but I did claim the finance both times.
Reply 6
Original post by OU Student
It's the ELQ / equivalent or lower qualifications. It means that because, with some exceptions, you already have a certificate, you can't get funding for another.

Hmm, ok, that's a bit of a bummer. I'm also guessing there's not many courses that will let someone skip first year because they have a certificate... and Durham (where I went first time) don't seem like the kind of place to do that even if I went back for the same course, I was told I couldn't resume at a later date.
Original post by KatyLou90
Hmm, ok, that's a bit of a bummer. I'm also guessing there's not many courses that will let someone skip first year because they have a certificate... and Durham (where I went first time) don't seem like the kind of place to do that even if I went back for the same course, I was told I couldn't resume at a later date.

Is the same course offered elsewhere? Another uni may allow you to go into second year with your current qualification.
Reply 8
Original post by OU Student
Is the same course offered elsewhere? Another uni may allow you to go into second year with your current qualification.

It's tricky because I did combined honours. In first year I did modules in Business Management, Social Sciences, Geography and Sociology... I did intend to/in second year focus more on Management stuff, but I think it'd be hard to argue that qualifies me for the second year of a business degree. Also I don't really want to stay in the same field as such... my interests aged 18 are very different to the ones I have now!
Original post by KatyLou90
It's tricky because I did combined honours. In first year I did modules in Business Management, Social Sciences, Geography and Sociology... I did intend to/in second year focus more on Management stuff, but I think it'd be hard to argue that qualifies me for the second year of a business degree. Also I don't really want to stay in the same field as such... my interests aged 18 are very different to the ones I have now!

Have you considered studying in Scotland? Students are encouraged to take different subjects in the first year of a Scottish degree so having a CertHE in combined studies may not hold you back. I have a CertHE and Aberdeen offered to let me transfer straight into the second year when I applied.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending