The Student Room Group

Really worried about first 2 terms - Finance and rent instalment dates.

Firstly, I understand I have been offered a decent amount of finance and im really happy with the amount but due to the instalments i feel i will struggle to get by the first 2 terms.

I get my first instalment of loan and grant on the 22nd of September, the amount i get will be £2403. Straight away i lose £200 of this due to my overdraft i used to pay for the accommodation deposit which leaves me with £2203.

From that £2203, £1806.69 will be taken for the first instalment of rent on the 10th of October leaving me with only £396.31 for around 18 weeks which works out at just £3 per day (which raises to around a massive £4 per day the second term where i wont be £200 overdrawn).

There is an alternate option for payment of rent that would see me paying smaller amounts in more instalments although that would leave me paying £2400 before my second payment of loan (on the 5th of Jan).

This has me extremely worried as after rent my loan worked out at £60 a week but due to the nature of the instalments for rent i wont be having anywhere near this amount.

Does anyone have any advice? I know im not the only person to be in a situation like this :P Does anyone have any information on whether or not I can change rent instalment payments or anything i can do to make the situation a little easier?

Sorry for the mini essay its just really playing on my mind as ideally i would prefer not having to juggle a job around my course and language classes. Thanks!
Original post by K1996s
Firstly, I understand I have been offered a decent amount of finance and im really happy with the amount but due to the instalments i feel i will struggle to get by the first 2 terms.

I get my first instalment of loan and grant on the 22nd of September, the amount i get will be £2403. Straight away i lose £200 of this due to my overdraft i used to pay for the accommodation deposit which leaves me with £2203.

From that £2203, £1806.69 will be taken for the first instalment of rent on the 10th of October leaving me with only £396.31 for around 18 weeks which works out at just £3 per day (which raises to around a massive £4 per day the second term where i wont be £200 overdrawn).

There is an alternate option for payment of rent that would see me paying smaller amounts in more instalments although that would leave me paying £2400 before my second payment of loan (on the 5th of Jan).

This has me extremely worried as after rent my loan worked out at £60 a week but due to the nature of the instalments for rent i wont be having anywhere near this amount.

Does anyone have any advice? I know im not the only person to be in a situation like this :P Does anyone have any information on whether or not I can change rent instalment payments or anything i can do to make the situation a little easier?

Sorry for the mini essay its just really playing on my mind as ideally i would prefer not having to juggle a job around my course and language classes. Thanks!

Whether or not you can change your rent instalments entirely depends on your accommodation provider so you need to speak to them. Also if you are a first year you won't recieve your first payment until 3-4 days after you have registered at university.
Reply 2
Original post by jelly1000
Whether or not you can change your rent instalments entirely depends on your accommodation provider so you need to speak to them. Also if you are a first year you won't recieve your first payment until 3-4 days after you have registered at university.

Planning on giving them a ring on monday just wanted to see if anyone on here had done it in the past at theirs. And yeah ive got plans to cover the first few days before the loan comes in :smile:
Original post by K1996s
Planning on giving them a ring on monday just wanted to see if anyone on here had done it in the past at theirs. And yeah ive got plans to cover the first few days before the loan comes in :smile:

My experience is uni halls are much more accommodating than private halls e.g. Unite
Reply 4
My experience is uni halls are much more accommodating than private halls e.g. Unite

Aha the accommodation is with Unite :frown:
Original post by K1996s
Aha the accommodation is with Unite :frown:

You can try talking to them but they aren't known for being very accommodating I'm afraid. All I can suggest if you don't want to get a job is to use your overdraft in full.
Reply 6
You can try talking to them but they aren't known for being very accommodating I'm afraid. All I can suggest if you don't want to get a job is to use your overdraft in full.

Fair enough thanks for letting me know :smile: Suppose i will have to take advantage of the overdraft between payments
If you're struggling that much, there's the access to learning fund from your uni.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending