The Student Room Group

I sort of met my conditional offers' requirements... (IB student) Any experience?

So for Aberdeen I lost it. They required 32p, I got 31. They also required some other things that I met, except the 5 in chemistry hl which I missed by getting a 4 (got 3 points less than a grade 5 :mad: ). Sucks, I know.

Also, Dundee which was/is my insurance choice, required 30 points which I have obviously gotten, but they also required a 5 in chemistry, math and biology. The biology isn't a problem, but I got a four in both chemistry and math. Is there a chance they'll still accept me? Or is it like it says on the UCAS website, that I'll lose my offers if I don't meet all of the conditions? What did/would you do? Doesn't say on Track if I've lost my offers yet or not.

Personally I'm relatively satisfied with my results, considering how sick I was before and during the exams. Yet I really wanted to study that program at Aberdeen :sad: ...

Scroll to see replies

Call/email them with your situation.
Original post by Abdul-Karim
Call/email them with your situation.

But I don't officially know if I lost my offers yet, they haven't updated any of them on Track...When will that happen btw?
Original post by MissMysterious
But I don't officially know if I lost my offers yet, they haven't updated any of them on Track...When will that happen btw?

It may not be until August when the A level results are in. Give them a call now, to see if they can update you. If they can't, it's a waiting game, I'm afraid.
Generally universities don't respond, if you miss your offer, until A level results day. I know that some universities are more lenient with IB misses because they tend to make tough offers so I wouldn't give up hope yet (of either of them)..

Do email them, especially pointing out the narrow miss. If you didn't ask for consideration for the illness before the exams it's a bit late now but if you saw a doctor at the time you could mention that too.
The same happened with my friend. I would suggest calling them than emailing because that way it makes you look more determined. My friend is actually thinking about going the the Uni direct and explaining her situation. So it's up to you which you'd rather do but don't lose hope. I hope you get to do the course at Aberdeen!
Original post by Ąямєиίєζ
The same happened with my friend. I would suggest calling them than emailing because that way it makes you look more determined. My friend is actually thinking about going the the Uni direct and explaining her situation. So it's up to you which you'd rather do but don't lose hope. I hope you get to do the course at Aberdeen!

Tell her not to. This post is a little out of date but the advice still holds:http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1342792&highlight=begging+in+person+results+day
Original post by Ąямєиίєζ

Well I live in Sweden so I can't really do that...And thanks, I hope that too :smile:
Original post by carnationlilyrose
It may not be until August when the A level results are in. Give them a call now, to see if they can update you. If they can't, it's a waiting game, I'm afraid.

Yup going to call them tomorrow. Though I'm really nervous! What if I misunderstand a word because of their accent and have to ask them to repeat and they get annoyed? :eek: Or what if I panic and forget what I was going to say? Or what if I panic and can't formulate my sentences right and sound like I've never done the IB? What if I sound all needy? Or talk like I'm reading right out of a book?

Oh well. Can't go worse than if I don't call them, can it... :colondollar:
Yup going to call them tomorrow. Though I'm really nervous! What if I misunderstand a word because of their accent and have to ask them to repeat and they get annoyed? :eek: Or what if I panic and forget what I was going to say? Or what if I panic and can't formulate my sentences right and sound like I've never done the IB? What if I sound all needy? Or talk like I'm reading right out of a book?

Oh well. Can't go worse than if I don't call them, can it... :colondollar:

They won't get annoyed because they are professional people. You need to think of yourself as a professional person as well. Write down what you have to ask them before making the call.
They won't get annoyed because they are professional people. You need to think of yourself as a professional person as well. Write down what you have to ask them before making the call.

I called them and the monsieur said that I don't lose my offer because of just one point, they'll still go through it again and now it depends on the A-level results, so I have to wait until sometimes in August... :smile:
I called them and the monsieur said that I don't lose my offer because of just one point, they'll still go through it again and now it depends on the A-level results, so I have to wait until sometimes in August... :smile:

Well, at least you have made the call and got through it ok. :smile:
Well, at least you have made the call and got through it ok. :smile:

True! I also found out that I got in to Uppsala University today, so I'm not as worried anymore :excited: . Though of course, aberdeen is where I want to go, and neuroscience is what I really want to study.
This thread is becoming quite "egocentric" :mute: .
True! I also found out that I got in to Uppsala University today, so I'm not as worried anymore :excited: . Though of course, aberdeen is where I want to go, and neuroscience is what I really want to study.

Well, I wish you all the best. TBH Aberdeen isn't a very highly sought after university in the UK, not because it isn't a good university - it is a very good university - but because it is too remote and cold for most people in the UK. As a Swede, you have an advantage there! I suspect you will be fine, but good luck anyway.
Hi everyone,

I received unconditional offer yesterday from Middlesex university but it is my insurance which asks me GCSEs but I have not received my results so confuse why they gave me unconditional offer . Do you think they may change their decision after I get my results or my place is guaranteed at middlesex ?
Well, I wish you all the best. TBH Aberdeen isn't a very highly sought after university in the UK, not because it isn't a good university - it is a very good university - but because it is too remote and cold for most people in the UK. As a Swede, you have an advantage there! I suspect you will be fine, but good luck anyway.

Thank you carnationlilyrose! :bear: You're very right, I am used to the cold and I don't mind remote places at all. Though, I just got an email from them where they ask for my results so they can make the final decision...which was supposed to be sent to them a while ago. Does this mean they have the A-level results now too? I'm thinking of calling them. Have been thinking about Aberdeen non-stop the past month.
Thank you carnationlilyrose! :bear: You're very right, I am used to the cold and I don't mind remote places at all. Though, I just got an email from them where they ask for my results so they can make the final decision...which was supposed to be sent to them a while ago. Does this mean they have the A-level results now too? I'm thinking of calling them. Have been thinking about Aberdeen non-stop the past month.

No, they won't have A level results yet, but they will have Scottish Higher results, which came out yesterday, so they will have an idea now of some places they will have in clearing from Scottish candidates who missed their offers yesterday. Call them now, and tell them what you have. Good luck.:smile:
No, they won't have A level results yet, but they will have Scottish Higher results, which came out yesterday, so they will have an idea now of some places they will have in clearing from Scottish candidates who missed their offers yesterday. Call them now, and tell them what you have. Good luck.:smile:

Just called, but she said that I'll find out by the end of next week or this week...going to be one panicky week! And thanks for the advice :smile:
Just called, but she said that I'll find out by the end of next week or this week...going to be one panicky week! And thanks for the advice :smile:

Well, if it's this week, you'll be ahead of the game and if not, you have the collective anxiety of everyone else to keep you company.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending