The Student Room Group

Can someone please look at the infomration posted below and explain it to me ?

Academic Requirements
You’ll need to have, or be on track to gain, at least 280 UCAS points, although your A level (or equivalent) subjects are not important. We also look for Grade B or above in GCSE English Language and Maths.

Does this mean A LEVELS ARE REQUIRED OR NOT ?

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by graham1472
Academic Requirements
You’ll need to have, or be on track to gain, at least 280 UCAS points, although your A level (or equivalent) subjects are not important. We also look for Grade B or above in GCSE English Language and Maths.

Thanks

it means you have to get (or are going to get) 280 ucas points from a levels or btec etc. you also need a grade b for maths and English at gcse.

a levels are not required you just need 280 ucas points
Reply 2
Original post by gohmas
it means you have to get (or are going to get) 280 ucas points from a levels or btec etc. you also need a grade b for maths and English at gcse.

a levels are not required you just need 280 ucas points

so i could do this apprenticeship while in sixth form ?
Reply 3
No it's saying you need 280 UCAS points from A-Levels/BTEC etc. but the subjects in which you got them isn't important - i.e. they could be in Maths, English, French or whatever.
Reply 4
Original post by pacni
No it's saying you need 280 UCAS points from A-Levels/BTEC etc. but the subjects in which you got them isn't important - i.e. they could be in Maths, English, French or whatever.

could you get ucas from gcse alone ?
Reply 5
could you get ucas from gcse alone ?

No you can't. UCAS points are awarded for high level qualifications, the biggest earners being A-Levels or BTECs, although they are also awarded for music grades and other qualifications. The implication in these requirements is that you will either have already finished your A-Levels/BTEC or that you are currently on course to complete them and will most likely achieve at least 280 points.
Reply 6
Original post by pacni
No you can't. UCAS points are awarded for high level qualifications, the biggest earners being A-Levels or BTECs, although they are also awarded for music grades and other qualifications. The implication in these requirements is that you will either have already finished your A-Levels/BTEC or that you are currently on course to complete them and will most likely achieve at least 280 points.

Thanks, so can I apply whilst I'm currently still doing my GCEs ?
Reply 7
Thanks, so can I apply whilst I'm currently still doing my GCEs ?

No, because you don't expect to obtain 280 UCAS points by the end of your GCSEs. I would assume that they expect you to apply in the final year of your A-Levels (or equivalent) with the intention that you begin in September as you would with a university.
Reply 8
Original post by pacni
No, because you don't expect to obtain 280 UCAS points by the end of your GCSEs. I would assume that they expect you to apply in the final year of your A-Levels (or equivalent) with the intention that you begin in September as you would with a university.

Is it posible to buy UCAS points ?

This has to be the most ridiculous question I've seen,

You earn your UCAS points by doing qualifications at a high level of study. You can't 'buy' them anywhere, it's not like virtual currency.

They want you to score 280 points from BTECs/A-levels/other similar things. That's BBC at A-level. You don't earn UCAS points from GCSEs.
Reply 10
Original post by TheWorldEndsWithMe
This has to be the most ridiculous question I've seen,

You earn your UCAS points by doing qualifications at a high level of study. You can't 'buy' them anywhere, it's not like virtual currency.

They want you to score 280 points from BTECs/A-levels/other similar things. That's BBC at A-level. You don't earn UCAS points from GCSEs.

I apologise, I just thought that since you can buy Nectar points, and MS points, etc, it would also be possible to buy UCAS points. Finally, can I get UCAS points from A Level English ?
I apologise, I just thought that since you can buy Nectar points, and MS points, etc, it would also be possible to buy UCAS points. Finally, can I get UCAS points from A Level English ?

Yes you can. But you're not going to get enough UCAS points just by doing one A-level. You're going to need a minimum of 2 (Which would be 2A*s at A-level to get that number of UCAS points), but 3 + an AS level is much easier and more common.
Reply 12
Yes you can. But you're not going to get enough UCAS points just by doing one A-level. You're going to need a minimum of 2 (Which would be 2A*s at A-level to get that number of UCAS points), but 3 + an AS level is much easier and more common.

Thanks, I'm also doing A Level Physics and Spanish, can I get UCAS from those subjects also. Also can I get UCAS from Microsoft ?
Reply 13

Okay at the beginning I thought you were just misinformed, now I'm inclined to think you are joking.

UCAS points cannot be bought. Nectar points and MS points are also not able to be bought, they are rewarded for spending money on certain products, a slight but important distinction. Though this is completely irrelevant...

Yes an A Level in English would be worth a certain amount of UCAS points, depending on the grade you achieved. In any case it will not be worth anywhere remotely near 280. Your best option would be to sit at least 3 A-Levels.
Thanks, I'm also doing A Level Physics and Spanish, can I get UCAS from those subjects also. Also can I get UCAS from Microsoft ?

You get UCAS points for every A-level you take, yes.

I don't know what you're on about, getting them from Microsoft so I'm going to assume you're trolling now.
Reply 15
Original post by pacni
Okay at the beginning I thought you were just misinformed, now I'm inclined to think you are joking.

UCAS points cannot be bought. Nectar points and MS points are also not able to be bought, they are rewarded for spending money on certain products, a slight but important distinction. Though this is completely irrelevant...

Yes an A Level in English would be worth a certain amount of UCAS points, depending on the grade you achieved. In any case it will not be worth anywhere remotely near 280. Your best option would be to sit at least 3 A-Levels.

Thank you, you've been of great help, going off your point,

"UCAS points cannot be bought. Nectar points and MS points are also not able to be bought, they are rewarded for spending money on certain products, a slight but important distinction."

. . . will I be rewarded UCA points for spending money in the University stores, shops etc.

Thanks
Reply 16
You get UCAS points for every A-level you take, yes.

I don't know what you're on about, getting them from Microsoft so I'm going to assume you're trolling now.

Thank you for clearing that up
Thank you, you've been of great help, going off your point,

"UCAS points cannot be bought. Nectar points and MS points are also not able to be bought, they are rewarded for spending money on certain products, a slight but important distinction."

. . . will I be rewarded UCA points for spending money in the University stores, shops etc.

Thanks

loll

lMFAOOO
Academic Requirements

Thanks

Hiya,

Let me help you out. This means they need 280 UCAS points, this can be through A Levels, Scottish Highers, BTECH etc. However, the actual subject is not of interest to them (IE you wouldn't need Maths A Level or a science). However, they do specify you'll need a grade B or above at GCSE level in English Language and Maths.

I hope this helps :smile:

Flick

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending