The Student Room Group

Australian judge says incest and paedophilia may no longer be a taboo

Scroll to see replies

incest is :sexface: whereas paedophilia is just :s-smilie::frown::mad:
Original post by ChickenMadness
Thats a different issue. The one I'm talking about is 2 consenting adults being told no.

Anyone can be raped or be in an abusive relationship. It's not exclusive to family members.

What two consenting adults? Other than the occasional cases of estranged family members who meet as adults (and there are some interesting psychological theories and people (having experienced that) who say that in retrospect, a sexual relationship would have been a terrible mistake.

I am not saying abuse in exclusive to family members. I am saying that a incestuous relationship, founded on an imbalance of power, can never be truly consensual.
Original post by Octopus_Garden
What two consenting adults? Other than the occasional cases of estranged family members who meet as adults (and there are some interesting psychological theories and people (having experienced that) who say that in retrospect, a sexual relationship would have been a terrible mistake.

I am not saying abuse in exclusive to family members. I am saying that a incestuous relationship, founded on an imbalance of power, can never be truly consensual.

So what do you think about 2 cousins meeting each other and falling in love, but not being allowed to. Or brother and sister.

Tbh replace 'cousins' with 'men'/'women' and that's every gay love story ever lmao.
So what do you think about 2 cousins meeting each other and falling in love, but not being allowed to. Or brother and sister.

Tbh replace 'cousins' with 'men'/'women' and that's every gay love story ever lmao.

You realise that first-cousin relationships aren't illegal in Britain, right? Before you get all outraged about people's rights, it's a good thing to check this stuff out.

Brother/sister? Either there is a power-imbalance, or there isn't. And if they have just met, I would still advise them not to have a sexual relationship, due to the wider ramifications on the family. I would put them in touch with people who've been there, and regret it.
You realise that first-cousin relationships aren't illegal in Britain, right? Before you get all outraged about people's rights, it's a good thing to check this stuff out.

Brother/sister? Either there is a power-imbalance, or there isn't. And if they have just met, I would still advise them not to have a sexual relationship, due to the wider ramifications on the family. I would put them in touch with people who've been there, and regret it.

ye there are no laws against cousins in UK.

for brothers/sisters , half brothers/sisters there are.

If it were 100 years ago (or one of the countries today where being gay gets you a death penalty and silly stuff like that) you'd probably advise gay people to not have a sexual relationship due to wider ramifications on the family as well.
(edited 9 years ago)
ye theres no laws against cousins in UK.

for brothers/sisters , half brothers/sisters there is.

If it was 100 years ago (or one of the countries today where being gay gets you a death penalty and silly stuff like that) you'd probably advise gay people to not have a sexual relationship due to wider ramifications on the family as well.
Nope. I wouldn't. Issues are totally different. As in, when/if the break-up happens (and to be a healthy relationship, both parties must feel able to leave the relationship!) the family will find it very hard not to take sides. That means, upon break-up, one or both partners could lose part of/the rest of their family. And given they'll have lost members through pursuing the relationship to start with, that's a big thing. Maybe family members they were just getting to know. The sexual relationship ends, and so does your family. Can you imagine how awful people have found it, coping with a break-up, losing the brother/sister they have just met, and losing some of the rest of their family?

Have you ever split up with anyone? Do you think it would have been more pleasant if your father/mother took your ex's side and refused to speak to you?

There is also the side point that when I was a lot younger, I actually gave the incest-rights groups' arguments serious consideration. It's the part of being a teenager I'm most ashamed of. Still, at least I know I think about things.
(edited 9 years ago)
Nope. I wouldn't. Issues are totally different. As in, when/if the break-up happens (and to be a healthy relationship, both parties must feel able to leave the relationship!) the family will find it very hard not to take sides. That means, upon break-up, one or both partners will lose the rest of their family. Maybe family members they were just getting to know. The sexual relationship ends, and so does your family. Can you imagine how awful people have found it, coping with a break-up, losing the brother/sister they have just met, and losing some of the rest of their family?

Have you ever split up with anyone? Do you think it would have been more pleasant if your father/mother took your ex's side and refused to speak to you?

There is also the side point that when I was a lot younger, I actually gave the incest-rights groups' arguments serious consideration. It's the part of being a teenager I'm most ashamed of. Still, at least I know I think about things.

Not EVERYONE is so immature to hate their exes though or do things that warrant that kind of reaction. I'm pretty much fine with all of mine. And they're fine with me. Still friends with some of them.

I don't agree with 'what if' arguements tbh.
Reply 47
I think if 2 people love each other. You're a bit of a dick to tell them, "actually no. Not happening." lmao.
It's pretty much a case of 2 consenting adults being told no.

Consenting adults are often told "no". You, for example, are not allowed to kill and cannibalise someone, even if they consent to it. Are you saying that gay people have to agree with consensual cannibalism too?

Again. Didn't say you have to believe in them. Just said it's hypocritical.

It would only be hypocritical if they were identical. Given they're not identical, it's not
This thread makes me sick.
Not EVERYONE is so immature to hate their exes though or do thinks that warrant that kind of reaction. I'm pretty much fine with all of mine.

I don't agree with 'what if' arguements tbh.
It is a serious consideration, especially as incestuous relationships (as adults who have just met) start from places of very, very, very intense emotion.

If you share a parent with an ex, that means, in order for the family not to have suffered, you have to be happy to see them at every family event for the rest of your lives. Does your mother or father see or phone any of your exes each week?
Original post by jackdaubs
Consenting adults are often told "no". You, for example, are not allowed to kill and cannibalise someone, even if they consent to it. Are you saying that gay people have to agree with consensual cannibalism too?

It would only be hypocritical if they were identical. Given they're not identical, it's not

No I'm not. lol. Actually read what I said instead of imagining new things to tag onto my posts.

man + man loving each other but told no
woman + woman loving each other but told no
man + woman loving each other but told no
Adult + Adult loving each other but told no
related adult + related adult loving each other but told no

bit different from adult + adult wanting to kill each other.
Reply 51
No I'm not. lol. Actually read what I said instead of imagining new things to tag onto my posts.

That's a nonsense response. It's called an analogy, and analogical based reasoning is the whole basis for your claim that gay people are hypocrites if they oppose incest.

There are strong, policy-based reasons for denying incest, whether homosexual incest or heterosexual incest

The mere fact that it involves consenting adults is not a conclusive argument, because consensual cannibalism also involves consenting adults.

To be honest, the reason you hate the two consensual, adult cannibals where one eats the other argument is that it absolutely destroys your position
Whilst first cousins in the uk are allowed, it is generally frowned upon
To see where it leads if it gets out of hand in a community you can look no furthet than the UK Pakistani population where first cousin marriages are very much the norm. Ad a result they have some of the uk's highest rate of genetic disorders within a designated community.
That's a nonsense response. It's called an analogy, and analogical based reasoning is the whole basis for your claim that gay people are hypocrites if they oppose incest.

There are strong, policy-based reasons for denying incest, whether homosexual incest or heterosexual incest

The mere fact that it involves consenting adults is not a conclusive argument, because consensual cannibalism also involves consenting adults.

To be honest, the reason you hate the two consensual, adult cannibals where one eats the other argument is that it absolutely destroys your position

"So you're saying *inserts wild story completely different to the point being made* "

Was talking about 2 people loving each other but not being allowed to. Not euthanasia or voluntary human sacrifice or cannibalism lmao.
Sorry about the typos by the way. I live in a nothern uk rural village anf this typing with six fingers on each hand can be a real pain in the ass.
Reply 55

That's such a stupid argument, it's like "Replace anything with anything, and that proves my argument".

Replace Lover A with cannibal, and Lover B with person who consents to be eaten. Is that "every gay love story ever"?

If you don't agree with consensual cannibalism, you're a hypocrite
Reply 56
"So you're saying *inserts wild story completely different to the point being made* "

:laugh: And yet you said

So you get to replace/insert any wild incest story, and that proves your argument?

Was talking about 2 people loving each other but not being allowed to.

Cannibals believe their eating the other person, and the eatee consents, is a form of love. Who are you to judge that love as being "unacceptable" in your eyes? You are a hypocrite

You said that if it involves two consensual adults, it must be acceptable. Therefore, by rejecting cannibal love you are a hypocrite
That's such a stupid argument, it's like "Replace anything with anything, and that proves my argument".

Replace Lover A with cannibal, and Lover B with person who consents to be eaten. Is that "every gay love story ever"?

If you don't agree with consensual cannibalism, you're a hypocrite

Ye not really. Because theres a pretty direct comparison between 2 people loving each other and not being allowed to be married, and another 2 people loving each other and not being allowed to be married.

Where as 2 people wanting to kill and cannibalize each other is........... Different. To say the least lmao.
(edited 9 years ago)
I don't really have a problem with incest except for if it has a negative impact on any children that come from it. Aside from that, there isn't all that much wrong with it as long as they're both consenting adults. Most negative reactions come from the squick factor but as time goes on this could fade away much like the stigma surrounding homosexuality has been reducing over time.

However I think anything sexual between an adult and a minor will always be seen as wrong.
Reply 59
Ye not really. Because theres a pretty direct comparison between 2 people loving each other and not being allowed to be married, and another 2 people loving each other and not being allowed to be married.

What has this got to do with marriage? You seem to be confused. This is about consensual sex and love.

If you oppose consensual cannibal love, you are a hypocrite. And you are a hypocrite if you oppose any sexual practice that has two consenting adults who are prevented from expressing their love by the law

Quick Reply

Latest