The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 420
Original post by jam278
. if you watched Germany vs Brazil. Khedira was bursting forward on lung busting runs to help with the counter attack while Schweinsteigger stayed deep. He's essentially a german Jordan Henderson.

If you' watched Germany before WC, then you can see that it depends on who he's partnered with. Khedira - Schweinsteiger means Schweinsteiger stays back, Khedira - Kroos means Khedira stays back. He did that occasionally at Stuttgart as well. He's called a "false 6" because of his tendency to bomb forward, but he can play the defensive role if it's assigned to him too. That's not the problem. The thing is that for those wages, there are far superior players for that more defensive, Schweini-role, and a "false 6" is not needed because Ramsey already provides that and is much better, obviously. Khedira's technique is also quite mediocre.

Don't think he's the man for Arsenal, but then the rumours so far don't seem extremely reliable anyway. :dontknow:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by qua
If you' watched Germany before WC, then you'll see that that depends on who he's partnered with. Khedira - Schweinsteiger means Schweinsteiger stays back, Khedira - Kroos means Khedira stays back. He did that occasionally at Stuttgart as well. He's called a "false 6" because of his tendency to bomb forward, but he can play the defensive role if it's assigned to him too. That's not the problem. The thing is that for those wages, there are far superior players for that more defensive role, and a "false 6" is not needed because Ramsey fills that role much better. His technical ability is also quite mediocre. Don't think he's the man for Arsenal, but then the rumours so far don't seem extremely reliable anyway. :dontknow:

Tbh I don't really rate Bender either. From what I have seen he is not actually that good. For me, a fit and on form Diaby (a pipe dream, I know) would be more suitable for us than either. But obviously , we need to buy a CDM and the options don't see all too great which is probably why we have not bought one yet. We seem to be really thinking this through and not just settling for the anyone.
Wenger knows how to make the best of these big summer signings. Last year with Bale's move to Real by buying Ozil and this year with Suarez's move to Barca by buying Sanchez. In Wenger we trust.
Reply 423
Original post by C.Almasy
Tbh I don't really rate Bender either. From what I have seen he is not actually that good. For me, a fit and on form Diaby (a pipe dream, I know) would be more suitable for us than either. But obviously , we need to buy a CDM and the options don't see all too great which is probably why we have not bought one yet. We seem to be really thinking this through and not just settling for the anyone.

To be fair, the Bender love doesn't seem to be based on last season but the ones before that. Generally, I think Lars deserves the praise and I also think he'd be a good fit for Arsenal, but last season he trailed off a bit. I think it's just a slump, or down to the bad way in which Leverkusen were managed, but based on last season's performances alone I wouldn't say he's the best option either, especially considering that Leverkusen would request a big transfer fee. I don't see him leaving them anyway. If they were open to sell and you could get him for a good price, I still think he'd be worth it but that's so unlikely.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by qua
If you' watched Germany before WC, then you can see that it depends on who he's partnered with. Khedira - Schweinsteiger means Schweinsteiger stays back, Khedira - Kroos means Khedira stays back. He did that occasionally at Stuttgart as well. He's called a "false 6" because of his tendency to bomb forward, but he can play the defensive role if it's assigned to him too. That's not the problem. The thing is that for those wages, there are far superior players for that more defensive role, and a "false 6" is not needed because Ramsey already provides that and is much better, obviously. Khedira's technique is also quite mediocre. Don't think he's the man for Arsenal, but then the rumours so far don't seem extremely reliable anyway. :dontknow:

I haven't really watched germany bar international tournaments and the odd friendly, so I can only comment on his time at Madrid and in international tournaments which is what I've seen of him. There's no point buying a player to do a role that isn't his best role and won't benefit the team too much as you say there are better DMs, plus Arsenal don't need a proper DM anyway, they need a Schweinsteigger for this system.

If I'm being honest. If he was good enough to play as a DM and not a false 6, then he'd be playing that role more often. For Low he experiments a lot anyway especially in midfield, so I'm not surprised that Khedira has played that role. Does it mean that he's good enough to play that role, I don't think so.
(edited 9 years ago)
0:26 - 0:32. Mesut been hanging around with Tony Adams?

Reply 426
The Sanchez-Özil connection :coma:

Looks like I'm gonna be watching Arsenal a hell of a lot more this season.

Posted from TSR Mobile
So erm, since we've got Sanchez and we're likely to bring in more players, how do you think we can line up for next season? Say we have Remy, Giroud and Sanchez as our main attacking players, will Sanchez play as a CF or will he play on the wings? Could it be possible that we might even switch to having two upfront? (Dont know how that will accomodate the likes of Ozil or Ramsey but..) meh..
Play a 4-1-4-1 :-)

Back 5
Dm
Walcott sanchez ramsey ox
Giroud

Or if sanchez is being played on the left Gibbs needs replacing :-)
Szczęsny

Debuchy Mert Kos Gibbs

DM Ramsey

Theo Özil Ox

Sanchez

Paaaaacceeeee

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 430
Suarez went for £64m? LOOOOOL wdf happened to the "not a penny less than £80m" that the Scousers were gassing about
is Debuchy signing confirmed or not?
Reply 432
Original post by shawn_o1

Not yet no
Original post by shawn_o1

Not yet, I heard the sticking point was the fee, initially it was agreed at £8m but now Newcastle want £10m

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 434
Original post by Peggles_*
Not yet, I heard the sticking point was the fee, initially it was agreed at £8m but now Newcastle want £10m

Posted from TSR Mobile

Can I have chicken and chips for dinner please.

Ta x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
So erm, since we've got Sanchez and we're likely to bring in more players, how do you think we can line up for next season? Say we have Remy, Giroud and Sanchez as our main attacking players, will Sanchez play as a CF or will he play on the wings? Could it be possible that we might even switch to having two upfront? (Dont know how that will accomodate the likes of Ozil or Ramsey but..) meh..

I don't think we could play 4-4-2 because Ozil would be one of the two in the middle along with a holder hopefully and that just wouldn't work. The reason we switched from a 4-4-2/4-4-1-1 to a 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 is because Cesc couldn't play in a pair centrally and I doubt Ozil could.

Sanchez will initially play on the right because Theo won't be back until loathe September. Once Theo is back I expect AS17 to be shifted to the left.0

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by FKLW
Can I have chicken and chips for dinner please.

Ta x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Racist. 😢

But yeah, I'm confused!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SHOO
Suarez went for £64m? LOOOOOL wdf happened to the "not a penny less than £80m" that the Scousers were gassing about

It was £75m.
Reply 438
Original post by Peggles_*
Racist. 😢

But yeah, I'm confused!

Posted from TSR Mobile

You are my latest target :colonhash: but you ain't responding angrily so I'm moving on! Kruz time methinks :cool:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest