The Student Room Group

I want to look good when I start college.

I feel a bit..blurgh. I feel sluggish and chubby, probably down to sitting on my laptop for the better part of the day. I really want to look and feel good when I start college. You know like a makeover? I'm not sure where to start though. I just want to look nicer, healthier, and feel a bit brighter.

Any tips on how to get healthier and lose weight over the summer? And what else could I do?
Reply 1
Join a gym. Eat a balanced diet.
Reply 2
Stop being such a fatty McAugustGloop.
Go swimming at your local pool, or you could go cycling every night.
Reply 5
Plan outfits beforehand. Learn how to apply basic eye makeup (you should wear this every day) and also make an effort with your hair everyday because this is something that a lot of people notice and it can completely change your look.
Never wear trackies, hoodies or any kind of trainers to college.
Start training for a 5km fun run - it gets you fit/healthy, gives you a goal and makes you feel good about yourself. The run day is always an amazingly uplifting experience. Lots listed here : http://therunningbug.co.uk/events/find-5k-races.aspx

Do some voluntary work - not dreary stuff in a charity shop, but something that will add to your CV. As above, it makes you get up in the morning and gives you a sense of being useful. http://www.charityjob.co.uk/Volunteer-Jobs

Do as many 'free' things as you can over the summer - art galleries, museums, lunchtime concerts etc. Build up your cultural and general knowledge! London ideas: http://www.timeout.com/london/things-to-do/free-london
Eat majority fruit and veg
For protein eat nuts (in moderation) and beans
Drink 3 litres of water per day
Less oil, salt, fat
No dairy products
Little fish/meat
Exercise 5x per week cardio and sit ups etc for 30 mins

I have done this for a few weeks and have lost 2lbs :smile:

ps. eat 2000-2500cals a day of majority natural foods and trust me you won't gain weight but feel good! Starvation never helps with long term weight loss
Original post by xoflower
Eat majority fruit and veg
For protein eat nuts (in moderation) and beans
Drink 3 litres of water per day
Less oil, salt, fat
No dairy products
Little fish/meat
Exercise 5x per week cardio and sit ups etc for 30 mins

I have done this for a few weeks and have lost 2lbs :smile:

ps. eat 2000-2500cals a day of majority natural foods and trust me you won't gain weight but feel good! Starvation never helps with long term weight loss

Those are great tips. :yep:

The only thing I would mildly disagree with is fish - most fish isn't fattening, unless you eat it battered all the time, or covered with fatty sauces. Regular fish in your diet is much healthier than regular meat. Most meat eaters eat far too much meat than is good for them.
Reply 9
Original post by Petulia
Plan outfits beforehand. Learn how to apply basic eye makeup (you should wear this every day) and also make an effort with your hair everyday because this is something that a lot of people notice and it can completely change your look.
Never wear trackies, hoodies or any kind of trainers to college.

I don't see what's wrong with hoodies and trainers, all part of street fashion and even if not, everyone's allowed their off days.
Original post by Tom78
I don't see what's wrong with hoodies and trainers, all part of street fashion and even if not, everyone's allowed their off days.

OP said they feel "sluggish" at the moment and want to look good. Trackies and trainers (unless you're jogging or exercising) shouldn't be worn to college because it's lazy clothing. You can be comfortable in your clothing without dropping to that level of laziness.
Original post by Tom78

Agreed. I have some very nice hoodies which I would gladly wear to college, as I'm sure most people do.

I think a better recommendation would be to not wear the 'chavier' stuff (no offense to anyone that wears this) ie Umbro etc
Reply 12
Original post by Petulia
OP said they feel "sluggish" at the moment and want to look good. Trackies and trainers (unless you're jogging or exercising) shouldn't be worn to college because it's lazy clothing. You can be comfortable in your clothing without dropping to that level of laziness.

Street fashion dude, wear trainers if you want jeez.
Working out and eating healthy is the best thing you can do. :biggrin:
Reply 14
Try eating healthy and natural products:
oatmeals or sandwiches for breakfast
fruit as a morning snack
salad for lunch,
whole grains, millet groats, lentills+ some fish/meat/tofu+steamed veggies for dinner
and some diary for your last meal.
Try using less salt and sugar
drink water (lots of water)
exercise 3times each week, mainly cardio if you are a beginner:wink:
go shopping and buy some cute clothes
watch make-up tutorials on you tube and change your hair
good luck!
don't eat fast foods and fried things
oh! And the most important thing: try to accept and love your body! It will make you more attractive :wink:
(edited 9 years ago)
Eat quorn instead of meat. That, combined with other low saturated fat foods and some exercise will help you lose weight. I've done it and lost 2st 5lbs in the past 2-3 months.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending