The Student Room Group

Undergrad who wears the niqab. Ask me anything

Scroll to see replies

Original post by securetrust
what do you mean?

Thank you sis :smile: but I don't think my Imaan is that high, I am trying to work on it though.

Like, have you ever done something that got you into a lot of trouble with family/teachers/law and what did you do :smile:
Reply 61
Original post by I Procrastinate
Social interaction= she said she has a lot of friends.

security threat= She said she shows her face when required.

Scares people= Media is to blame.

:colone:

What a beautiful post :colondollar:

Original post by Surrey Bubble15
And there is the root of the problem.

How would you feel about a burka/niqab ban?

Root of what problem?

I wouldn't be happy with it obviously because that would stop from expressing myself and taking my freedom to choose to keep wearing the niqab however I would either leave the country and if I can't do that then I would have no choice but to take it off.
Original post by Dumbledore'sArmy
How is limiting social interaction bad?

Many ways
Do you ever wear coloured, or patterned ones?
Original post by ¯\(°_o)/¯
Like, have you ever done something that got you into a lot of trouble with family/teachers/law and what did you do :smile:

No I haven't, I think I am a goody two shoes :tongue:
Root of what problem?

I wouldn't be happy with it obviously because that would stop from expressing myself and taking my freedom to choose to keep wearing the niqab however I would either leave the country and if I can't do that then I would have no choice but to take it off.

Sounds like you've brainwashed yourself into a sort of faux-freedom
Original post by manchesterunited15
You interact socially with people who aren't your friends.

She shows her face in every shop does she?

The media is to blame for people being scared when they see a dark, shapeless figure with no face moving towards them? K den

How the media have portrayed muslims, has led to people fearing those who wear the niqab. However, i'm not completely oblivious to the fact that people can be scared of it. I guess it's just not widely seen in western cultures.

Why would she need to show he face in every shop?
"Oh no, this woman is going to steal a packet of chewing gum".
Original post by PsychadelicScarf
Do you ever wear coloured, or patterned ones?

I really don't like coloured or patterned niqabs, so I wear a plain black one.
Original post by Kutta

What a beautiful post :colondollar:

Lmao.
Original post by I Procrastinate
How the media have portrayed muslims, has led to people fearing those who wear the niqab. However, i'm not completely oblivious to the fact that people can be scared of it. I guess it's just not widely seen in western cultures.

Why would she need to show he face in every shop?
"Oh no, this woman is going to steal a packet of chewing gum".

I think people would be just as scared of someone in a balaclava.

Because the only thing that can be stolen is chewing gum? :confused:
It's bad because it limits social interaction, scares people and is a security threat.

How can you pick up on me using Hitler, when I was only using him as a response to the other guy using Mandela, which is just as ridiculous?

Limits social interaction ??? really now. it does not stop you from speaking to people or interacting with others in any way, wow you can't see their face big deal you can't see the facial expression of someone you talk to on the phone or even social networks but that doesn't seem to limit social interaction,

SCARES PEOPLE, well i don't know where your from but where i live people are respectful, they don't get scared from someone who dresses how they choose, maybe that's because people from where I'm from are educated and don't let the media dictate their beliefs in thinking everyone who covers themselves is a threat , it just show how ignorant your views are because your points are invalid.

I think i have the right to pick up your hitler reference , as it shows the type of person you are and how your just a typical contributor towards hate on these forums who try to justify their responses by simple minded answers.
Original post by Surrey Bubble15
Sounds like you've brainwashed yourself into a sort of faux-freedom

Okay listen I am a Muslim so of course I believe I am God's slave and so I believe I can free myself of what people or society thinks of me but not God's will or command
No I haven't, I think I am a goody two shoes :tongue:

Awwww :h:

Should change that :colone:

Are you part of your unis I-Soc? If you are, was your It open to non-muslims joining? What type of things did you do?

I'm non-religious myself, but I think I'll join some religious society's if I can when (if) I go to uni.
the media has got you all...
Original post by haseebi82
Limits social interaction ??? really now. it does not stop you from speaking to people or interacting with others in any way, wow you can't see their face big deal you can't see the facial expression of someone you talk to on the phone or even social networks but that doesn't seem to limit social interaction,

SCARES PEOPLE, well i don't know where your from but where i live people are respectful, they don't get scared from someone who dresses how they choose, maybe that's because people from where I'm from are educated and don't let the media dictate their beliefs in thinking everyone who covers themselves is a threat , it just show how ignorant your views are because your points are invalid.

I think i have the right to pick up your hitler reference , as it shows the type of person you are and how your just a typical contributor towards hate on these forums who try to justify their responses by simple minded answers.

Lmao

This entire post is ridiculous, you're clearly overly biased by being Muslim. And then you try and act like I'm the one being disrespectful while at the same time continuously insulting me. Incredible really.
Original post by Dan.dont
It's not really an insult, if you think its an insult well deal with it how you want. But you'll be in denial.

Ahahah. I'm sorry Dan. I am so sorry!

Spoiler

Okay listen I am a Muslim so of course I believe I am God's slave and so I believe I can free myself of what people or society thinks of me but not God's will or command

Do you base your sense of morality on Allah's words or let it change yours?
I think people would be just as scared of someone in a balaclava.

Because the only thing that can be stolen is chewing gum? :confused:

Oh my...Did you really just compare the niqab with a balaclava :facepalm2: I can't even...

Ok. Right. Firstly, the niqab has a religious purpose. if people were more educated about the purpose of the niqab, then they wouldn't be so scared of it. People have associated the niqab with negative beliefs and so that is why they are not so....accepting of it. On the other hand, the balaclava, as far as i'm concerned, has only been used to carry out theft. if someone walked in with a balaclava, your ultimate thought would be the person is going to steal something valuable.

I haven't heard of any stories in which a woman wearing a niqab has stolen. If anything, a muslim wearing a niqab is going to have a strong iman (like a strong faith), so they are unlikely to steal, since it's against Islam to do so. In addition, i have heard of a woman wearing a niqab stopping someone from stealing before, or was it a hijab...

I don't want to argue. :smile:
Original post by haseebi82

:clap2:
I'm loving that answer. You picked up on a great point.
Give this guy a gulab jamun for iftar.

Quick Reply