The Student Room Group

Girl who wears Hijab. Ask me anything.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MissColly
Do you think it is reasonable that women have to wear hijab while men don't? I understand it's an order of the almighty, but there must be reasons for such orders. I think its so men's prying eyes don't see the beauty of women through their hair and neck and chest areas. However this assumes that all men look at women this way, which isn't true. Even if some do, why should women be restricted and covered when men are the ones committing sins by looking at women. Also, wearing a hijab doesn't mean men won't look, girls still look very beautiful in hijabs and I'm sure many men have looked at women wearing hijab too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I understand where you are coming from :smile:

BUT....wearing the hijab, protects us from manu things. But im not saying iys 100% protective. The hijab sort of stops men, looking at us, and seeing the most beauty. If a man was infront of a woman showing her beautiful hair and showing neck plus chest area, and infront of a woman wearing a hijab, he would be more attracted by the first woman. I believe it os satan and his followers that whisper to us and say, "look at that gorgeous woman" so then we have thougts. Men do no wear hijab, because it is something God designed for women. To hopefully protect us from prying eyes. Also men are ristricted to wear trowsers above the knee. They are also restricted to going out shirtless in public. If i saw a shirtless guy, who looked particularly good, i would think "Damn, that guys hot" but these thoughts are by satan, so i remember god, and i remember he told us not to have such thoughts so i look away quickly. Men, will not always think about women this way, but it inevitable. Therefore we must be protected. Rapists, may rape women, because of hatred, or whatever, but sometimes because of beauty. We try to hide that beauty. Therefore, only wearing the hijab is not enough. We must try not to wear such clothes that stick to the body and show our figure.
Original post by Dumbledore'sArmy
I wear it to show obedience to god. He ordered us women, to wear the Hijab, to hide our hair, to men in particular.

I thought it was more of a cultural thing, how come some Muslims don't wear hijabs?
Original post by Viva Emptiness
I think they meant, uh, does it make you too warm?

Certainly not in the Winter. In the summer it can be hot, but when i feel hot, i remember that it is for God, that i am wearing the hijab
Why should it be the woman's responsibility to cover her head and not the man's responsibility to be respectful and not lustful?
Original post by Rlove95
I thought it was more of a cultural thing, how come some Muslims don't wear hijabs?

I do not know fully, so perhaps you should ask them :smile:

BUT...i do have a few ideas. Some muslims may choose not to wear the hijab, because they feel that it is not needed. However this is no excuse, because god ordered us to wear it, therefore compulsory. They may also feel like they have a long life, so they think they can wear hijab when older, thinking that it is enough to wear it then, and receive good deeds and praise from God. Some people dont fully understand the concept of wearing hijab.
Original post by Rlove95
Why should it be the woman's responsibility to cover her head and not the man's responsibility to be respectful and not lustful?

Answered on this page. Please look for it :smile:
I do not know fully, so perhaps you should ask them :smile:

BUT...i do have a few ideas. Some muslims may choose not to wear the hijab, because they feel that it is not needed. However this is no excuse, because god ordered us to wear it, therefore compulsory. They may also feel like they have a long life, so they think they can wear hijab when older, thinking that it is enough to wear it then, and receive good deeds and praise from God. Some people dont fully understand the concept of wearing hijab.

My Muslim friends have always told me that it isn't compulsory to wear and it's more of a cultural thing so this is new to me lol. Where in the Qu'ran does it tell you to wear the hijab? Does it explicitly say you should wear the hijab or is it more of an interpretation thing?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 47
From personal experience do you feel like you treated differently because of the hijab you wear? like do you think there is a prejudice against you in anyway?
Reply 48
Do you go uni? If so, how did you manages to fit in specially during the first few weeks?
Original post by Rlove95
My Muslim friends have always told me that it isn't compulsory to wear and it's more of a cultural thing so this is new to me lol. Where in the Qu'ran does it tell you to wear the hijab? Does it explicitly say you should wear the hijab or is it more of an interpretation thing?

"They should not reveal any parts of their bodies, except that which is neccessary. They shall cover they chests and hair(with hijab or khimar)" 24:31 in quran. It is ordered to us thatnwe MUST wear the hijab. It is definitely not cultural, its religion. I hope you can tell your friends this :smile:
Original post by Rlove95

I totally agree

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by samaiar
From personal experience do you feel like you treated differently because of the hijab you wear? like do you think there is a prejudice against you in anyway?

No, i have never in my life been made fun of. Some people are made fun of some therefore are discriminated. In some countries it is banned in some countries, so i guess its prejudice.
Original post by Teucer
Do you go uni? If so, how did you manages to fit in specially during the first few weeks?

Im going to sixth form or college next year, and will hopefully go into my A levels. How do i manage to fit in?? Um, i have friends, a lot actually, and i feel right at home. Sometimes i might be the only person wearing the hijab in class, but its fine as long as no one makes stupid or rude comments. I feel right at home to be honest with you.
I understand where you are coming from :smile:

BUT....wearing the hijab, protects us from manu things. But im not saying iys 100% protective. The hijab sort of stops men, looking at us, and seeing the most beauty. If a man was infront of a woman showing her beautiful hair and showing neck plus chest area, and infront of a woman wearing a hijab, he would be more attracted by the first woman. I believe it os satan and his followers that whisper to us and say, "look at that gorgeous woman" so then we have thougts. Men do no wear hijab, because it is something God designed for women. To hopefully protect us from prying eyes. Also men are ristricted to wear trowsers above the knee. They are also restricted to going out shirtless in public. If i saw a shirtless guy, who looked particularly good, i would think "Damn, that guys hot" but these thoughts are by satan, so i remember god, and i remember he told us not to have such thoughts so i look away quickly. Men, will not always think about women this way, but it inevitable. Therefore we must be protected. Rapists, may rape women, because of hatred, or whatever, but sometimes because of beauty. We try to hide that beauty. Therefore, only wearing the hijab is not enough. We must try not to wear such clothes that stick to the body and show our figure.

Yes I know but what I'm saying is, a hijab doesn't really protect women from men's prying eyes. Men can still see beauty in a woman wearing a hijab, whether its more or less beauty than a woman without a hijab shouldn't really matter, men can still pry. Girls with hijabs aren't protected from rapists, I dunno where you got that from but it's a wrong assumption. I do believe that men may have some restrictions in what they wear for Islam, but women's wear is more noticeable and has a greater impact on their appearance and the way they others see Muslim women. You may not realise a man is Muslim from what he wears but you can immediately tell that a woman is Muslim because of her hijab or burka. Women can pry on men's appearance too, why isn't their hair seen as beauty? Why don't they cover their heads to keep away from women's prying eyes? Why do women have to take further steps and restrict themselves for the men who sin and pry on women when the same isn't done the other way around.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do you judge girls who do not wear one? I am a catholic (although not devout) so would you judge me and think less of me if I didn't cover my hair?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MissColly
Yes I know but what I'm saying is, a hijab doesn't really protect women from men's prying eyes. Men can still see beauty in a woman wearing a hijab, whether its more or less beauty than a woman without a hijab shouldn't really matter, men can still pry. Girls with hijabs aren't protected from rapists, I dunno where you got that from but it's a wrong assumption. I do believe that men may have some restrictions in what they wear for Islam, but women's wear is more noticeable and has a greater impact on their appearance and the way they others see Muslim women. You may not realise a man is Muslim from what he wears but you can immediately tell that a woman is Muslim because of her hijab or burka. Women can pry on men's appearance too, why isn't their hair seen as beauty? Why don't they cover their heads to keep away from women's prying eyes? Why do women have to take further steps and restrict themselves for the men who sin and pry on women when the same isn't done the other way around.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Like i said, the hijab doesnt fully protect us from prying eyes. Men can still look at girls wearimg hijabs and find them beautiful, but thats more associated with men looking at women without hijabs. You see, it gives us that little bit of extra protection. Men, think of women, more than women think of men. Obviously there are some exceptions, but its most likely that way. So we need to cover our selves, more than men need to.

You definitely realize a woman is muslim, more than a man, but sometimes you can realize a man is muslim, by them wearing a Thobe and some hats.
No, i have never in my life been made fun of. Some people are made fun of some therefore are discriminated. In some countries it is banned in some countries, so i guess its prejudice.

Would you find it offensive if I drew a picture of the prophet muhammed?
Original post by ShannonJenkins
Do you judge girls who do not wear one? I am a catholic (although not devout) so would you judge me and think less of me if I didn't cover my hair?

Posted from TSR Mobile

As muslims we must not be judgemental, and look at people in an inappropriate way. I have christian friends, and some are my best friends and i love them to bits.

And because i think my religion is correct, i would pray that people will find Islam. I dont think less of you ofcourse not, especially if you arent muslim. You are human, i am human.
At the end of the day if you do not find Islam, and do not wear the hijab, its the choice you made :smile:
Therefore this matter lies between you amd God alone.
Like i said, the hijab doesnt fully protect us from prying eyes. Men can still look at girls wearimg hijabs and find them beautiful, but thats more associated with men looking at women without hijabs. You see, it gives us that little bit of extra protection. Men, think of women, more than women think of men. Obviously there are some exceptions, but its most likely that way. So we need to cover our selves, more than men need to.

You definitely realize a woman is muslim, more than a man, but sometimes you can realize a man is muslim, by them wearing a Thobe and some hats.

But a thobe and the hats aren't something they HAVE to wear. I personally think women can dress modestly to keep men's prying eyes away without the hijab. The hijab should be a CHOICE just like the men's hats and thobe. Sorry for the capital letters, I dunno how to use italics on here :s-smilie: For example, a man may pry the same amount towards a woman wearing a hijab and a woman not wearing one, yet dressing modestly. I don't agree that women should be taken away this choice whereas men still have a choice. I'm sorry for the long debate that I've started and I truly did need another persons opinion on this matter. Thanks for all your responses, I hope that your path towards Allah is worthwhile in the end. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ¯\(°_o)/¯
Would you find it offensive if I drew a picture of the prophet muhammed?

Yes i would find it offensive. First of all, did you know its haram to draw accurate pictures of humans? It is called Shirk. It is kind of associating yourself to god saying (look at me i candraw accurately like God, like a creator, but ofcourse you're not saying this physically) You can find out why somewhere else, because im not 100% prepared to go into that matter. ( I love drawing, and draw, so it is something i need to work on. I need to stop :P)

Second of all, we dont have the right information of his appearance to draw him.

Like i said haram to draw people accurately anyway, and definitely offensive because it is prophet Muhammed,(peace and blessings be upon him)

Quick Reply

Latest