The Student Room Group

Tarot Card reading

how accurate are they? I was told they cannot predict the future but they act only as a guidance. in that case, it's not possible to answer yes or no questions then ?

Scroll to see replies

I don't really believe in it. Maybe they believe they can predict the future. Maybe they do it for the money.

...Maybe they're just lazy and don't want to get off their lazy ass.
They are no more accurate than guesswork. People who charge money to read them are frauds.
I have tarot cards :tongue:
I only used it for fun though...
Reply 5
There is no future.
Reply 6
Original post by TolerantBeing
I have tarot cards :tongue:
I only used it for fun though...

I have them at home as well.. but i decided to get them professionally read by someone. I was told quite bad news and It's just affecting my psychologically
Reply 7
Original post by benplumley
They are no more accurate than guesswork. People who charge money to read them are frauds.

I did have that mentality before asking questions. But the person did manage to say something really accurate (when speaking of my past and current situations).. it spooked me out.
Reply 8
I've had readings done before just for fun and the only things that were correct/came true were things that were very general and/or vauge eg. that I have a dead grandmother (I'm in my late 20s most people my age probably would) or I'd meet a guy with dark hair whose taller than me (which I did, however as most men are taller than 5'4 and more people have dark hair than blonde or red this was statistically likely to happen). Saying that I do know a couple of people who've claimed that they've had readings which have been very accurate; one of them said the psychic knew something about her past she's never told anyone.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jsccsx1
I did have that mentality before asking questions. But the person did manage to say something really accurate (when speaking of my past and current situations).. it spooked me out.

If you ask me 20 questions, and I have a 5% chance of guessing the correct answer, the expected number of questions I'd answer correctly is 1. No 'magic' is needed to answer your questions correctly, just probability and good acting.
Reply 10
Original post by benplumley
If you ask me 20 questions, and I have a 5% chance of guessing the correct answer, the expected number of questions I'd answer correctly is 1. No 'magic' is needed to answer your questions correctly, just probability and good acting.

I basically asked a yes or no question, and it came out with a no. I completely understand that its a 50% chance at the end of the day. After hearing a no, I was quite devastated because it will have an impact on my future. What I don't seem to understand is how come so many people go to see this tarot reader if she wasn't good...?
Mostly nonsense:

Original post by jsccsx1
I basically asked a yes or no question, and it came out with a no. I completely understand that its a 50% chance at the end of the day. After hearing a no, I was quite devastated because it will have an impact on my future. What I don't seem to understand is how come so many people go to see this tarot reader if she wasn't good...?

Because a depressingly large percentage of our population is gullible. Also, plenty of people just do it because it's fun or traditional in some cultures, regardless of whether they realise it's fake.
Reply 13
Original post by jsccsx1

Because people are idiots with mind-numbingly uneventful lives. Not to mention that it's likely a fun group activity to take friends to and serves as gossip-fodder for at least a week afterwards. I say this as someone whose mother has been to 'psychics' a few times and lets herself believe what they say no matter how much you point out that she's only focusing on the things they get right, no matter how vague or off they are and how much things they obviously get very wrong, and who has an aunt (not related to my mother) who actually does or used to do tarot readings for money.
Reply 14
Original post by jsccsx1
how accurate are they? I was told they cannot predict the future but they act only as a guidance. in that case, it's not possible to answer yes or no questions then ?

They're not in the slightest bit accurate because it's all *******s just like astrology.
Lol, just done an online reading where I chose 6 cards, it said in short that I am currently going to have a ****ty present (represented by death) and end life with The Sun card where I will meet someone I love in the near future and end life happy, successful and well. :rolleyes:
Original post by gemmam
I've had readings done before just for fun and the only things that were correct/came true were things that were very general and/or vauge eg. that I have a dead grandmother (I'm in my late 20s most people my age probably would) or I'd meet a guy with dark hair whose taller than me (which I did, however as most men are taller than 5'4 and more people have dark hair than blonde or red this was statistically likely to happen). Saying that I do know a couple of people who've claimed that they've had readings which have been very accurate; one of them said the psychic knew something about her past she's never told anyone.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lots of Barnum statements and cold reading it seems!
Original post by jsccsx1

Cold reading and internet research, you'd be amazed how much information people put online and what clever people can figure out just by looking at you.

Tarot cards have no evidence to support that they can make any sort of prediction of the future. You got swindled.
Reply 18
Having a good imagination and being practised in the art of bull****ting will most certainly make someone more convincing.
Reply 19
The person who I got read by was known not to be a psychic.. she just learned how to read about a decade ago from a mentor.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending