The Student Room Group

Terrible head boy and girl sixth form election, you be the judge.

So many sixth formers out there will have experienced pretty poor elections or have strongly disagreed with the elected candidate. I'm betting ours took the cake. In brief, it was decided to be held at the end of the final term, an awful decision since almost half the year group were away, doing work experience or generally otherwise occupied. Only a handful of the year were told the election was on that specific day so people who stayed home or weren't there for various reasons simply didn't get a vote, leaving a minority of voting sixth formers. The rest of the vote was taken up by members of staff, the majority of whom will have no interaction with the head boy/girl so in my opinion shouldn't get a vote. To top it off the candidate who achieved head boy is not only despised by almost everyone in the year for being a self righteous insufferable ass he is also extremely two faced and so everything that got him the staff vote will mean nothing to him come next year. Yay. ... Also, if you bothered reading all that, wow, well done :P
Original post by Just Rhys
So many sixth formers out there will have experienced pretty poor elections or have strongly disagreed with the elected candidate. I'm betting ours took the cake. In brief, it was decided to be held at the end of the final term, an awful decision since almost half the year group were away, doing work experience or generally otherwise occupied. Only a handful of the year were told the election was on that specific day so people who stayed home or weren't there for various reasons simply didn't get a vote, leaving a minority of voting sixth formers. The rest of the vote was taken up by members of staff, the majority of whom will have no interaction with the head boy/girl so in my opinion shouldn't get a vote. To top it off the candidate who achieved head boy is not only despised by almost everyone in the year for being a self righteous insufferable ass he is also extremely two faced and so everything that got him the staff vote will mean nothing to him come next year. Yay. ... Also, if you bothered reading all that, wow, well done :P

How sad. Why do you care, though?
Reply 2
Original post by RHyoudon'kno
How sad. Why do you care, though?

I was the unlucky sucker who got all the student vote. :P
I was the unlucky sucker who got all the student vote. :P

Did I misread it?

Must have been really boring then.

I would congratulate you but you don't care.

Oh, wth. Congrats! :biggrin:
Reply 4
Jealous much?

The teacher's vote presumably is to stop it being a popularity contest. Head boys and girls have actual roles to do, and being a lad isn't actually helpful for those roles. But yeah, some people are soo annoying that they clearly shouldn't lead (I MAY fall into that category, not sure yet). Well done coming 2nd?
It is a very good rule of thumb well understood by unis during selection that the head boy / girl is always some kind of obnoxious creep.
Reply 6
Original post by RHyoudon'kno
Did I misread it?

Must have been really boring then.

I would congratulate you but you don't care.

Oh, wth. Congrats! :biggrin:

No i do care i realise how all that made me sound, just venting really, so thanks :P
Reply 7
Original post by Old_Simon
It is a very good rule of thumb well understood by unis during selection that the head boy / girl is always some kind of obnoxious creep.

Well thats good thanks :P
No i do care i realise how all that made me sound, just venting really, so thanks :P

Ohh. :console: Tough crap.

It'll get better. :sadnod:

You're welcome. :biggrin:
Reply 9
Original post by lerjj
Jealous much?

The teacher's vote presumably is to stop it being a popularity contest. Head boys and girls have actual roles to do, and being a lad isn't actually helpful for those roles. But yeah, some people are soo annoying that they clearly shouldn't lead (I MAY fall into that category, not sure yet). Well done coming 2nd?

The thing is it already wasn't a popularity contest because in this sixth form people recognise it's a significant job so people use their brains to chose ... and i realise that made me sound jealous but im pissed on behalf of the rest of my year who the decision will effect
Original post by Old_Simon

How about deputy? Slightly less obnoxious?
there wasn't an election for my 6th form. Was like first come first serve. Then the 'officers' picked all their friends to be in the officer group thing lol.
Reply 12
The thing is it already wasn't a popularity contest because in this sixth form people recognise it's a significant job so people use their brains to chose ... and i realise that made me sound jealous but im pissed on behalf of the rest of my year who the decision will effect

Nah, you don't sound jealous. It's not that big of a deal anyway I guess, I don't think unis can care very much because so few people will ever be head boys. Do you at least get to be a prefect or something? Anyway, I gotta go and I have no idea what to say to you so here are some smilies:

:cube: :diep: :dogt: :elmo: :f1: :fleurdelis: :flower: :fuhrer: :kungfu:
I remember arguing with the guy who was 'elected' head boy in our sixth form on the day he was announced as the winner because it was undemocratic. The teachers chose from the top two boys and girls in the election and I told him he wouldn't have won if it was just down to student votes. Looking back it was actually quite a bitchy thing to say to him on the day he won but we really didn't like each other.
Dam.. you need a life if this bothers you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending