The Student Room Group

Will unis consider me if I reapply after missing a grade?

Hi, so I really wanted to study maths next year, and all my exams were going super well, and for no good reason, i just completely bombed the C3 paper... So the chances of me getting what was meant to be a certain A* in maths, even though I reckon i got 100% in C4, are really slim... However, I've done well in all the others (i hope), and it'll surely be obvious that i just messed that one exam up on the day - it happens, right? - so if i'm in a position where i need to retake c3, will top unis like Oxford, Imperial, Warwick, etc. be inclined to reject me for missing the A* first time round?

My question is, is there any point retaking c3 if i'm just gonna get rejected for not having the A* yet?

Don't know if this is relevant, but I'm expecting excellent (A*) results in Chemistry, Physics and Further Maths, and already have an A* in the Extended Project.

Reply 1
Original post by TeslaCoil
Hi, so I really wanted to study maths next year, and all my exams were going super well, and for no good reason, i just completely bombed the C3 paper... So the chances of me getting what was meant to be a certain A* in maths, even though I reckon i got 100% in C4, are really slim... However, I've done well in all the others (i hope), and it'll surely be obvious that i just messed that one exam up on the day - it happens, right? - so if i'm in a position where i need to retake c3, will top unis like Oxford, Imperial, Warwick, etc. be inclined to reject me for missing the A* first time round?

My question is, is there any point retaking c3 if i'm just gonna get rejected for not having the A* yet?

Don't know if this is relevant, but I'm expecting excellent (A*) results in Chemistry, Physics and Further Maths, and already have an A* in the Extended Project.

What do you mean by "next year"? Do you mean this autumn based on this summer's A level results (i.e. you are holding an offer), or are you taking A2 maths in one year and then the others next year?

If you miss your offer then you're not guaranteed a place, although you may get in if others miss their offer too. If you're planning on resitting next year and applying pending a resat module then I'd expect you to be considered on your merits - unis understand that people have "off days" in particular modules, although for a top uni you really should have C3 completely nailed.
Reply 2
Original post by davros
What do you mean by "next year"? Do you mean this autumn based on this summer's A level results (i.e. you are holding an offer), or are you taking A2 maths in one year and then the others next year?

If you miss your offer then you're not guaranteed a place, although you may get in if others miss their offer too. If you're planning on resitting next year and applying pending a resat module then I'd expect you to be considered on your merits - unis understand that people have "off days" in particular modules, although for a top uni you really should have C3 completely nailed.

Sorry for being unclear, I meant that I did all my AS and A2 exams this june, and am holding an offer... assuming that they don't accept me to start this September, how would the A in maths affect my chances of getting into a top uni if I reapplied?

And about the C3 exam, I had never gotten a score of below 95% in any past paper, it was just one of those things... When you have 17 exams to sit in such a short period of time, and they're all packed so close together, it's bound to happen at least once.

Thanks for the reply :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by TeslaCoil
Sorry for being unclear, I meant that I did all my AS and A2 exams this june, and am holding an offer... assuming that they don't accept me to start this September, how would the A in maths affect my chances of getting into a top uni if I reapplied?

And about the C3 exam, I had never gotten a score of below 95% in any past paper, it was just one of those things... When you have 17 exams to sit in such a short period of time, and they're all packed so close together, it's bound to happen at least once.

Thanks for the reply :smile:

Personally I wouldn't worry until the exam results come out and you can see what the actual decisions of the unis are. Presumably you have insurance offers too - personally I would settle for a place this year above spending another year reapplying (which is itself a gamble), but that's just my preference.

Quick Reply

Latest