The Student Room Group

How are maths and further maths modules arranged

Hi, I've just done my A levels, two of which were maths and further maths, I was hoping someone would be able to help tell me how they would be arranged and what sort of grades I would get?

AS maths
C1 -100, C2 -100, C3 -97

AS further maths
FP1 -94, M1 -100, M2 -93

this year I've done these and my predicted mark
M3 -80, S1 -90, S2 -90, FP2 -90, FP3 -60, C4 -95

How would the module arrangements work, and if I get these marks would I have done enough to get the A* in further maths? Thanks for any help
Original post by Mathsstudent1996
Hi, I've just done my A levels, two of which were maths and further maths, I was hoping someone would be able to help tell me how they would be arranged and what sort of grades I would get?

AS maths
C1 -100, C2 -100, C3 -97

AS further maths
FP1 -94, M1 -100, M2 -93

this year I've done these and my predicted mark
M3 -80, S1 -90, S2 -90, FP2 -90, FP3 -60, C4 -95

How would the module arrangements work, and if I get these marks would I have done enough to get the A* in further maths? Thanks for any help

C1+C2+C3+C4 = 392
480 - 392 = 88
S1+S2 = 180
These give you the A* in Maths

F1+F2+F3+M1+M2+M3 = 517 which is an A

If I recall correctly the 90% needs to come from your best 3 A2 units so no A*
Original post by TenOfThem
C1+C2+C3+C4 = 392
480 - 392 = 88
S1+S2 = 180
These give you the A* in Maths

F1+F2+F3+M1+M2+M3 = 517 which is an A

If I recall correctly the 90% needs to come from your best 3 A2 units so no A*

Ok thanks. So it's not possible to have M1 and S1 put in normal maths and then have fp2 s2 and m2 as my best 3 a2 in further maths?
Ok thanks. So it's not possible to have M1 and S1 put in normal maths and then have fp2 s2 and m2 as my best 3 a2 in further maths?

hmmmm that is a thought - they usually put the lowest total in Maths - hence my use of S1 and S2

But you are correct

So, yes you could get A*A*

Do you need A*A* for university?
hmmmm that is a thought - they usually put the lowest total in Maths - hence my use of S1 and S2

But you are correct

Unfortunately, yes :frown:
As long as it's possible to move around AS modules though, I think I might just about scrape it

But you are correct

I thought they put the highest in Maths to give you the best mark in Maths ?
Unfortunately, yes :frown:
As long as it's possible to move around AS modules though, I think I might just about scrape it

They should look at the grades as you did and put the M1 and S1 together

Are you edexcel
(edited 9 years ago)
They should look at the grades as you did and put the M1 and S1 together

You can re-arrange them post results but you really need it to be right before then

Are you edexcel

Yes
Yes

I am pretty certain that you will be ok

I am trying to find the line I recall that describes their arrangement principles

But I am confident that they

Maximise the grade a A Level first
They would then consider the possible ways of giving you the A*
Then choose the one that maximises the FM
Original post by Old_Simon
I thought they put the highest in Maths to give you the best mark in Maths ?

You thought wrong and remember Ten can't read your posts as you are on her ignore list.
I am pretty certain that you will be ok

I am trying to find the line I recall that describes their arrangement principles

But I am confident that they

Maximise the grade a A Level first
They would then consider the possible ways of giving you the A*
Then choose the one that maximises the FM

Awesome, thanks
atleast I can put my mind at ease now, no one at my school really seems to know how everything gets done, every maths teacher I've spoke to has given me a different answer
Awesome, thanks
atleast I can put my mind at ease now, no one at my school really seems to know how everything gets done, every maths teacher I've spoke to has given me a different answer

However, under the previous system candidates received the best grade for Mathematics with the
lowest possible uniform mark total and then the best grade for Further Mathematics from the remaining
unit results. Under this new system, candidates receive the highest possible uniform mark total for
Mathematics, while still retaining the best subject grade possible for Further Mathematics. This system
normally ensures that a candidate’s unit grades in Mathematics are maximised.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CDEQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.thestudentroom.co.uk%2Fattachment.php%3Fattachmentid%3D76252%26d%3D1253383944&ei=BVbAU4_RHcjdPYSXgIAO&usg=AFQjCNHTUApFNVkZidSuGydr3F6AfBnzAw&sig2=XOCchNH2HmeE5jN0tUychA&bvm=bv.70810081,d.ZWU
However, under the previous system candidates received the best grade for Mathematics with the
lowest possible uniform mark total and then the best grade for Further Mathematics from the remaining
unit results. Under this new system, candidates receive the highest possible uniform mark total for
Mathematics, while still retaining the best subject grade possible for Further Mathematics. This system
normally ensures that a candidate’s unit grades in Mathematics are maximised.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CDEQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.thestudentroom.co.uk%2Fattachment.php%3Fattachmentid%3D76252%26d%3D1253383944&ei=BVbAU4_RHcjdPYSXgIAO&usg=AFQjCNHTUApFNVkZidSuGydr3F6AfBnzAw&sig2=XOCchNH2HmeE5jN0tUychA&bvm=bv.70810081,d.ZWU

Great, so if my marks are what I've predicted, they'll make sure I'll get the 2A*s and then consider maximising ums?
Original post by Mr M
You thought wrong and remember Ten can't read your posts as you are on her ignore list.

Well she has changed her answer now. This question is not as simple as it seems.
Great, so if my marks are what I've predicted, they'll make sure I'll get the 2A*s and then consider maximising ums?

Looks like it :smile:

Your school has ticked the box to unlock and re-aggregate I hope
Looks like it :smile:

Your school has ticked the box to unlock and re-aggregate I hope

I think they do, I remember last year a friend whose now in uni ended up with a new AS further maths mark with different applied modules he'd done for A2 maths, so I should be ok there
I think they do, I remember last year a friend whose now in uni ended up with a new AS further maths mark with different applied modules he'd done for A2 maths, so I should be ok there

Good

I expected so as Exams Officers are usually more on the ball than we teachers :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest