The Student Room Group

Bend Assesment

This is my local motorway slip road.

How fast would you take it in the dry, assuming no other traffic and the motorway was moving freely?

And if you had to push your car to the limit in the dry, no traffic etc, how fast could you theoretically take it you think ?

http://www.instantstreetview.com/2oakv7z3ehygiz4f5znsz2u
Reply 1
I know that bend well and if the road ahead looks clear I usually take it at about 50 which still gives me space to stop if the motorway ahead is blocked. Then depending on motorway traffic I'll accelerate up to 70 to join.

If I knew the road was clear and the motorway was empty I'd say 80 would be easy (but illegal of course); however the road condition is not good; there is a nasty bump just after the traffic lights that could make life a little interesting at higher speeds.

T3
Reply 2
Original post by trident3
I know that bend well and if the road ahead looks clear I usually take it at about 50 which still gives me space to stop if the motorway ahead is blocked. Then depending on motorway traffic I'll accelerate up to 70 to join.

If I knew the road was clear and the motorway was empty I'd say 80 would be easy (but illegal of course); however the road condition is not good; there is a nasty bump just after the traffic lights that could make life a little interesting at higher speeds.

T3

You live round here too?

Which would be better suited for this corner, the well handling civic or the planted stable e class?
Reply 3
Original post by Bumalone
You live round here too?

Which would be better suited for this corner, the well handling civic or the planted stable e class?

I'd prefer the well-handling late 90s 169hp Civic VTi or even better a Civic type R. Definitely not one of the current crop of slow Civics...any small car with a 150hp 1.8 engine that takes 10+ seconds to get to 60 is -ahem- uninteresting.

A great and affordable current car would be a Focus ST which would be truly superb for that piece of road.....

But once on the motorway, I'll take the E-class.:cool:
Reply 4
I'd prefer the well-handling late 90s 169hp Civic VTi or even better a Civic type R. Definitely not one of the current crop of slow Civics...any small car with a 150hp 1.8 engine that takes 10+ seconds to get to 60 is -ahem- uninteresting.

A great and affordable current car would be a Focus ST which would be truly superb for that piece of road.....

But once on the motorway, I'll take the E-class.:cool:

I'm shocked that you think you could take that bend at 80 mph.

If I was driving with my parents I take it at 45 mph, if I'm on my own I push it to about 50, or 55 max, but that feels right on the limit. 60 would be the absolute maximum I think, so I'm boggled that you could do 80.

Mine is a 2005 honda accord
I think I could probably take it at 60 (but wouldn't) my back tires are really low on tread so I try not to push the car too much.
Reply 6
Original post by Camoxide
I think I could probably take it at 60 (but wouldn't) my back tires are really low on tread so I try not to push the car too much.

I tried it today and got to 57 mph, too scared to go faster !

How the guy above is confident of 80 I don't know.
Reply 7
If the traffic light turns red, 0 mph.

Otherwise, drive at a speed where you can comfortably avoid an incident that presents itself just beyond your limit of vision.
Reply 8
Original post by Advisor
If the traffic light turns red, 0 mph.

Otherwise, drive at a speed where you can comfortably avoid an incident that presents itself just beyond your limit of vision.

Cool Story Bro
Reply 9
m shocked that you think you could take that bend at 80 mph.

If I knew the road ahead was completely clear - including the hard shoulder so the racing line could be taken - then yes, in the right car it could be taken at 80. But as I said in an earlier post, 50 is quite fast enough with other traffic around....
If I knew the road ahead was completely clear - including the hard shoulder so the racing line could be taken - then yes, in the right car it could be taken at 80. But as I said in an earlier post, 50 is quite fast enough with other traffic around....

I wouldn't even attempt a bend like that at 80, 60 is good and 70 if you're really confident.
Original post by The Jargen
I wouldn't even attempt a bend like that at 80, 60 is good and 70 if you're really confident.

In real life, 50 is quite fast enough because of the possibility of stopped traffic ahead... but that bend with no traffic, no speed limit, etc..... and in the right car.... :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending