The Student Room Group

Student finance proof of separation

So student finance send me an email saying that they need proof that my mum and dad are separated in order to process how much money I am eligible for. My dad walked out on us around 6 months ago, and my mum hasn't applied for single occupancy discount on the council tax, and they are not in the proceedings of getting a divorce. I was wondering what we could send off as evidence; my dad has been unemployed pretty much his whole life anyway, and wouldn't contribute anything to the household income anyway, but seeing as they aren't getting a divorce or anything we can't send off any of the documents suggested on the student finance website.
Where is he listed as staying? if he's got a council flat / house / whatever its called of his own then surely that counts?
Reply 2
Original post by tearteto
Where is he listed as staying? if he's got a council flat / house / whatever its called of his own then surely that counts?

He lives with his parents :s-smilie:
Original post by corpsebacon
He lives with his parents :s-smilie:

I'm going to skip over the "slow clap" . Has he expressed that he is living in a seperate permanent residence to your mother on any document?
Reply 4
Original post by tearteto
I'm going to skip over the "slow clap" . Has he expressed that he is living in a seperate permanent residence to your mother on any document?

Haha no, but they are on speaking terms I believe, so I'm sure he would be willing to sing some kind of document or anything that we could send off?
Original post by corpsebacon
So student finance send me an email saying that they need proof that my mum and dad are separated in order to process how much money I am eligible for. My dad walked out on us around 6 months ago, and my mum hasn't applied for single occupancy discount on the council tax, and they are not in the proceedings of getting a divorce. I was wondering what we could send off as evidence; my dad has been unemployed pretty much his whole life anyway, and wouldn't contribute anything to the household income anyway, but seeing as they aren't getting a divorce or anything we can't send off any of the documents suggested on the student finance website.

Solicitors letter saying they are separated would work
Either a solicitors letter or a letter from the court saying they are going to file for a divorce with an official stamp (if that's ever happening.) I sent a court letter off and it worked.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending