The Student Room Group

Undergrad who wears the niqab. Ask me anything

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ben_Dover
Fair enough....I can't force you to change your mind.

I'll just finish on the statement that those that wear a niqab do so because they feel their religion requires them to do so.

Those that wear a balaclava do so in order to cause mischief.

Making a comparison between the two is just petty. Hopefully you'll come to realise these differences in personal belief

A balaclava also has non-mischievous uses.

The thing is that if you allow niqabs, people who aren't religious could wear one to commit crimes, since it will be allowed whereas alternatives like the balaclava aren't.
How will you find a husband when the time comes? Will he be allowed to see your face before you get married?
Original post by manchesterunited15
A balaclava also has non-mischievous uses.

The thing is that if you allow niqabs, people who aren't religious could wear one to commit crimes, since it will be allowed whereas alternatives like the balaclava aren't.

I'm struggling to see what uses it has in the UK. Unless you go skiing, there's not much use for it. It's usually the likes of EDL members that make the analogy between balaclavas and niqabs.

People keep saying that a person could wear the niqab and commit crimes, terror acts etc. How many instances of these have actually occurred?
I'm struggling to see what uses it has in the UK. Unless you go skiing, there's not much use for it. It's usually the likes of EDL members that make the analogy between balaclavas and niqabs.

People keep saying that a person could wear the niqab and commit crimes, terror acts etc. How many instances of these have actually occurred?

Motorbikes/bicycles. I assure you I'm not an EDL member, it's just a perfecty reasonable analogy to make.

I don't know, but it's possible. Better to stop it happening before it does than after.
Original post by manchesterunited15
Motorbikes/bicycles. I assure you I'm not an EDL member, it's just a perfecty reasonable analogy to make.

I don't know, but it's possible. Better to stop it happening before it does than after.

Bikers are permitted to wear balaclavas. There is nothing wrong with that.

But bigots propose that they should be allowed to wear balaclavas when out and about, say in shopping centres. There's no need for this and the analogy to niqab is just petty.

The claim of risk of crime is totally unsubstantiated and so no action should be taken.

People advocating for the ban keep making these excuses of crimes, risk of terror etc. The reality is, they want it banned because they don't like it.

Why should the law makers choose your preferences over the religious rights of another?
Bikers are permitted to wear balaclavas. There is nothing wrong with that.

Actually a lot of garages and shops say helmets must be removed before entering the premises for safety reasons

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ¯\(°_o)/¯
Awwww :h:

Should change that :colone:

Are you part of your unis I-Soc? If you are, was your It open to non-muslims joining? What type of things did you do?

I'm non-religious myself, but I think I'll join some religious society's if I can when (if) I go to uni.

Nah I am fine thanks, at the start of 1st year I joined my uni's isoc and the volunteering society, later on uni work got in the way so I only attended some of the lectures organised by the isoc, yeah my isoc was opedn to non- muslims joining but I doubt that they would want to, my uni's isoc mainly organised islamic lectures and charity work, if your up for to it you should definitely join some sort of religious society (if) you go to uni, from experience i think people more open minded at university.

Original post by ExMus
Do you base your sense of morality on Allah's words or let it change yours?

I guess I do base my sense morality on Allah's words, due to Him being the All-knowing.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by SerLorasTyrell
Actually a lot of garages and shops say helmets must be removed before entering the premises for safety reasons

Posted from TSR Mobile

Which makes total sense. Why would you need to wear the balaclava once you're off the bike? The balaclavas function is to protection you in an accident. It served it's purpose whilst you are on the bike. Once off it, it no longer fulfils it's function and should be removed.

The niqabs function is to cover the face in public at all times and so needs to be worn at all times.
Original post by Dumbledore'sArmy
A question to you:

How do you feel when wearing the niqab despite negative comments?

When I was younger 13-16 years old I used to get really upset when people would call me a "terrorist" and "ninja" and I really didn't understand why people would say such things because for me personally I wearing the niqab to cover myself and not to be judged in such a negative manner. Then I started doing more research on the niqab and I came to the conclusion that it was not compulsory in Islam but favoured as the prophet's wives used to wear them (ra) and that a lot of negativity towards women who wore the niqab, even if they were not forced and I took it of once around the age of 15 but I realised it became a part of me, my identity and I put it back on straight away. I still do get comments when I go out sometimes but I choose to ignore it, I just don't care of what people think about it anymore, it is essentially my choice and I am not breaking any laws.
Original post by Abbyy95
Why do you feel the need to wear a niqab? As an Arab/Muslim I feel that it defeats the purpose... It's understandable to wear one in Saudi.. but what's the need of covering your face here? It's a barrier to communication and it makes a lot of people uncomfortable and it just makes you stand out which surely isn't even the purpose of it!!!

Because it is a part of who I am and I see it as a way for me to get more reward in this dunya. I'm really disappointed sister that as Arab/Muslim you do not support me in my decision to wear something that is encouraged in our religion. As I said I try to overcome that barrier and interact with people and most people I know whether they agree or disagree with my decision on wearing the niqab respect me and don't mind it. As a muslim you should know muslims wear the niqab, hijab, thawb and have beard to stand out and for people to recognise them as muslims, it is a form of dawah.
Original post by themorninglight
When did you start wearing niqab?
Did your family encourage you to wear it or were they apprehensive about your decision?
Have you ever been treated badly because of your niqab?
Were there any other niqabis on your course?
What is your ethnicity?

Sorry for the barrage of questions :tongue: hope your Ramadan is going well insha Allah

1. At the age of 13, i know, i know i was very young
2. They were really weary about it because they thought that I would get a lot of discrimination wearing the niqab, I still remember to this day the shock on their faces lol but now they are okay with it alhamdulillah.
3. One of my friends used to wear it in the first year but she left and one of my other friend decided to wear it but took it off later because she couldn't handle the negativity , people can be cruel!
4. I am somali

Ramadan is going well for me alhamdulillah, I hope you're enjoying it too.

Original post by *Dreaming*
How will you find a husband when the time comes? Will he be allowed to see your face before you get married?

looool I am sorry I find this question hilarious, when I was younger one of my cousin's used say to me how can you get a husband if no one man is allowed see you face and I remember me really get all worried. Idk to be honest, I guess I might have an arranged marriage, I haven't really thought about it and yes he will be allowed to see my face.
Original post by Dan.dont
I dont really want to ask anything but say something. You're an amazing women, and dont listen to negatives comments you're worth more and are way better than them comments. Keep doing what you do!

cringing at the fact that you can't spell woman...
looool I am sorry I find this question hilarious, when I was younger one of my cousin's used say to me how can you get a husband if no one man is allowed see you face and I remember me really get all worried. Idk to be honest, I guess I might have an arranged marriage, I haven't really thought about it and yes he will be allowed to see my face.

This is the 21st century in Great Britain. This sort of thing should not be happening. Do you not care for your rights?...
Original post by securetrust
1. At the age of 13, i know, i know i was very young

13, mashaAllah that's really young! although personally I don't find it *that* weird as one of my friends from high school wore a niqab from the age of 11 (her own decision) and in my mum's family pretty much everyone the age of 15 wears a niqab (the girls obviously). My mum wore one too but had to take it off soon after I was born because it was too dangerous for her when she moved to London

2. They were really weary about it because they thought that I would get a lot of discrimination wearing the niqab, I still remember to this day the shock on their faces lol but now they are okay with it alhamdulillah.

Lol I can imagine!
3. One of my friends used to wear it in the first year but she left and one of my other friend decided to wear it but took it off later because she couldn't handle the negativity , people can be cruel!

Interesting, I start uni soon which is why I was curious. I know what you mean about people being cruel though, a few years ago I was on my way home with my cousin (who wears niqab) and some grown men threw rocks at us. I think I was around 14 and my cousin was 17 at the time. Also I can't imagine what's it like with the constant questions i.e "how do you eat with that on?" and "can you even see me right now?" lol.

4. I am somali.

Ramadan is going well for me alhamdulillah, I hope you're enjoying it too.

high-five, Somali here as well. & alhamdulilah it's going good. thanks for taking the time to answer my Qs :smile:
Original post by TheTechN1304

This is the 21st century in Great Britain. This sort of thing should not be happening. Do you not care for your rights?...

What's wrong with having an arranged marriage if both parties agree with it?? And what rights are you referring to exactly??
Original post by themorninglight
13, mashaAllah that's really young! although personally I don't find it *that* weird as one of my friends from high school wore a niqab from the age of 11 (her own decision) and in my mum's family pretty much everyone the age of 15 wears a niqab (the girls obviously). My mum wore one too but had to take it off soon after I was born because it was too dangerous for her when she moved to London

Lol I can imagine!

Interesting, I start uni soon which is why I was curious. I know what you mean about people being cruel though, a few years ago I was on my way home with my cousin (who wears niqab) and some grown men threw rocks at us. I think I was around 14 and my cousin was 17 at the time. Also I can't imagine what's it like with the constant questions i.e "how do you eat with that on?" and "can you even see me right now?" lol.

high-five, Somali here as well. & alhamdulilah it's going good. thanks for taking the time to answer my Qs :smile:

Wow! She wore the niqab at the age of 11 that is amazing mashallah, tbh none of my parents family are religious, so I am the only one that wears the niqab, my mum does not wear it either. That is so sad, some people are so horrible sometimes and yeah I get those type of remarks all the time lol.

High-five back and you're welcome!
What's wrong with having an arranged marriage if both parties agree with it?? And what rights are you referring to exactly??

There's nothing wrong with having an arranged marriage if you consent to it :smile:

He's over-reacting. Some people hear "arranged marriage" and equate it to "forced marriage" :rolleyes:
Do you find it difficult to make friends at univ? or at least, those that are secular.

4. I am somali.

Hey me too! Somaliland to be specific.
Reply 139
Original post by Dumbledore'sArmy
Hey me too! Somaliland to be specific.

I'm pretty sure the vast majority of Muslims on this forum are Somali or of Somali descent to be honest. There's an entire thread for you guys. :lol:
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest