The Student Room Group

Help gaining weight (female)

I'm a size 6, really slim and a little bit boney. I've always been very slim and even got teased when I was school about it. I'm now 24 and still a size 6/8. When I was 21/22, I did go through a curvier period where I was a size 8/10 and felt really happy in myself at this point, however I'm finding it difficult to gain weight.

Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks
don't bother! You're lovely the way that you are! (But if you want to eat cake, then you don't have to worry about it!) Have you got any tips on losing weight? (Don't say stop eating cake!)
Original post by LadyJazzles
I'm a size 6, really slim and a little bit boney. I've always been very slim and even got teased when I was school about it. I'm now 24 and still a size 6/8. When I was 21/22, I did go through a curvier period where I was a size 8/10 and felt really happy in myself at this point, however I'm finding it difficult to gain weight.

Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks

You look good they way you are, :smile:. But, if you are looking at gaining weight, then try to increase your muscle instead of fat. Maybe calculate your total daily energy expenditure to see how many calories you use in one day, here a link: www.health-calc.com/diet/energy-expenditure-advanced.
So if you calculated your total energy expenditure is 2300 calories, you can set yourself a target of 2500 calories and then use a free app like myfitnesspal to record what you eat and see how close to your target you are. I would try to gain the weight gradually and add in some exercise with resistance(I.e. weights) to help to gain some muscles.

Hope this helps.
I'm crying into my box of doughnuts reading this
Original post by Alys-Cait
don't bother! You're lovely the way that you are! (But if you want to eat cake, then you don't have to worry about it!) Have you got any tips on losing weight? (Don't say stop eating cake!)

lel don't listen to her.

If you're so thin it's unhealthy or affecting you negatively you should do something about it.

OP try and look for the most calorific options when you buy food, look at the nutritional information. Fatty food is the most calorific. That'l make you fatter.

If you want to do something more long term and just good for you you should start weight training.
(edited 9 years ago)
What's your BMI? (weight n' height).
Bit hard to give advice without knowing ya diet. Just eat more healthy fats (margarine, fish, olive oil etc.), would be what id do prob.
Post picture

height/weight?

daily food intake [meals/food] | caloric intake
my advice would be to keep a food diary with exact quantities (make sure not to include anything you throw out etc) so you can calculate your calorie intake and find areas to improve. Its a different situation but when I was recovering from anorexia I could not put on weight and I was positive I was eating plenty until I kept a food + exercise diary and realised that by eating lots of fruit+veg I FELT like I ate loads but actually wasn't and my activity level was consistently much higher than I thought

it might be you can find patterns like you always get half way through lunch and get distracted or you don't find time to snack as you're busy or that like me you eat a lot of low calorie food so what feels like a lot doesn't provide much energy

I think you're right to try and gain weight, if you've been heavier before then this may not be your natural weight and you will have much more energy if you eat more

Quick Reply

Latest