The Student Room Group

How to deal with jealous friends?

A month ago my best friend stopped talking to me altogether and deleted me off all his social media. I don't know why, I tried calling and texting him but he never responded. I know where he lives so I could confront him now since I'm back in my home town where he still lives.

Should I?

I just feel robbed for all those years I invested in this friendship, I confided in him the most and he confided me in as well.

I go through cycles of hating him then forgiving him and it's a viscious circle right now. A part of me will always hate him for treating me like this but a part of me wants to forgive him and possibly even forget him and become bffs again.

I don't know, I feel like I'm being a door mat.

I don't know what I did wrong to him. I just know that he has cut me out.

I suspect he is jealous of me, he's always been second best to me. Though I never rubbed it in his face. I have a good degree (medicine) and he's doing some bogus course with terrible job prospects yet I always supported him when other people (including his own family) were putting him down.

I just feel betrayed and hurt. :cry:

Scroll to see replies

well he obviously never liked you that much.....
Reply 2
Original post by idelaghetto
well he obviously never liked you that much.....

Why would he spend hours talking to me each week and meeting me countless times and buying me presents if he didn't like me?

He also confided me as I did with him, some of the stuff he told me about his family is not something a friend that doesn't like you shares with a supposed frenemy

What we had was real!
Original post by Anonymous
Why would he spend hours talking to me each week and meeting me countless times and buying me presents if he didn't like me?

He also confided me as I did with him, some of the stuff he told me about his family is not something a friend that doesn't like you shares with a supposed frenemy

What we had was real!

I had a mate like that. Have his guts now. Best to avoid people like him....They don't deserve our custom.

What we had was real!

Maybe something pretty real is going on in his life and that's why he's stopped contact. How do you know he's deleted you off social media and hasn't just deleted them or deactivated his accounts.

Sometimes if people are going through something heavy or severely depressed they kind of drop out of the social sphere because it's too much to deal with...
Reply 5
Original post by Ben_Dover
I had a mate like that. Have his guts now. Best to avoid people like him....They don't deserve our custom.

You maybe right but not knowing him is killing me.

Original post by Temporality
Maybe something pretty real is going on in his life and that's why he's stopped contact. How do you know he's deleted you off social media and hasn't just deleted them or deactivated his accounts.

Sometimes if people are going through something heavy or severely depressed they kind of drop out of the social sphere because it's too much to deal with...

I know because he's contact with my other friends.

And I know for a fact that he's carrying on as normal.
Reply 6
I meant Not knowing why he cut me out is killing me * Lol

@ birke do you think?

Why is not knowing him killing you? He shouldn't be that important to you. I had a very close friendship from many years that wained slowly and painfully and I evenetually realised the guy was not worth knowing because he was a total dick. It was hard to let him go from my life because we were so inseparably close at first and I never thought he would change the way he did, but he did. People change. And it hurts. You can't do anything but invite more worthwhile people into your life, and have the self-respect and dignity to let your un-worthwhile friends go, regardless of how much time or energy you spent on them. Right now you're just adding to how much time you wasted on him by going over the loss, every minute you do that youre increasing the wasteage, right. So just forget him. Have some self-respect, you should get a lot of respect as a doctor, so Jaysus, have some respect for yourself.

Also Are you actually being serious or is this a troll because I'm kind of sick of people on here trolling for advice. I mean why do it? It's such a dickish thing to do, people are taking time out to give others their advice. I don''t actually want to know what people brought up trolls because they are so messed up. I'm not saying you're a troll but if you are one, stop.
Reply 8
Why is not knowing him killing you? He shouldn't be that important to you. I had a very close friendship from many years that wained slowly and painfully and I evenetually realised the guy was not worth knowing because he was a total dick. It was hard to let him go from my life because we were so inseparably close at first and I never thought he would change the way he did, but he did. People change. And it hurts. You can't do anything but invite more worthwhile people into your life, and have the self-respect and dignity to let your un-worthwhile friends go, regardless of how much time or energy you spent on them. Right now you're just adding to how much time you wasted on him by going over the loss, every minute you do that youre increasing the wasteage, right. So just forget him. Have some self-respect, you should get a lot of respect as a doctor, so Jaysus, have some respect for yourself.

Also Are you actually being serious or is this a troll because I'm kind of sick of people on here trolling for advice. I mean why do it? It's such a dickish thing to do, people are taking time out to give others their advice. I don''t actually want to know what people brought up trolls because they are so messed up. I'm not saying you're a troll but if you are one, stop.

You're making it sound like I'm in love with him. We were incredibly close this why I'm finding it so hard to let go of that friendship. I need closure, I need to know why. I'm incredibly conscientious in my everyday life and this includes maintaining friendships, I cannot help how I feel. I cannot turn it off believe me I have tried.

I have a lot of respect for myself it's not like I'm thinking about him all the time. I have other friends but I'm afraid to commit fully to those friendships for fear of being betrayed like this again. I have my walls up now.

If this is were a troll it'd be a pretty boring one, no? If I were a troll I would have added something about a girl coming between us and somehow blaming ALL women for my problems. :wink:
You're making it sound like I'm in love with him. We were incredibly close this why I'm finding it so hard to let go of that friendship. I need closure, I need to know why. I'm incredibly conscientious in my everyday life and this includes maintaining friendships, I cannot help how I feel. I cannot turn it off believe me I have tried.

I have a lot of respect for myself it's not like I'm thinking about him all the time. I have other friends but I'm afraid to commit fully to those friendships for fear of being betrayed like this again. I have my walls up now.

If this is were a troll it'd be a pretty boring one, no? If I were a troll I would have added something about a girl coming between us and somehow blaming ALL women for my problems. :wink:

Listen to yourself. Don't make it sound like I'm the one who made it sound like you're in love with him, when in reality you are sounding that way.
And you're welcome for the advice.
Listen to yourself. Don't make it sound like I'm the one who made it sound like you're in love with him, when in reality you are sounding that way.
And you're welcome for the advice.

What advice?

You told me to basically switch off my emotions akin to some robot, perhaps you can, I however cannot do that. Perhaps it may be easier for someone with an aloof (read: psychopathic) demeanour. :confused:

You're failing to discern genuine feelings of friendship, that is, missing him and craving closure for a 8-year strong friendship. It's evident by now that you have no clue on how the most basic relationships work never mind distinguishing love from friendship maybe it's because you've never had that and as a result you don't know how it feels to have a homie.
What advice?

You told me to basically switch off my emotions akin to some robot, perhaps you can, I however cannot do that. Perhaps it may be easier for someone with an aloof (read: psychopathic) demeanour. :confused:

You're failing to discern genuine feelings of friendship, that is, missing him and craving closure for a 8-year strong friendship. It's evident by now that you have no clue on how the most basic relationships work never mind distinguishing love from friendship maybe it's because you've never had that and as a result you don't know how it feels to have a homie.

How dare you judge me like that without knowing me. You know nothing of my friendships or relationships. I think you're projecting your psychopathic tendancies onto me. Goodness me, the kind of weirdos they have as doctors nowadays.
How dare you judge me like that without knowing me. You know nothing of my friendships or relationships. I think you're projecting your psychopathic tendancies onto me. Goodness me, the kind of weirdos they have as doctors nowadays.

Troll. I'm off to sleep.

He's a leech. He's sucker everything of.you and moved on. Probably best to hang with your other friends before he Sucks more stuff out of you
This is what I want to do but I'm not sure I should even give him the time of day. I'm scared that our friendship will be over though after that ignoring the issue like I have done so far gives me hope.
Bumpity
Only one side of the story, I suspect the OP is a 'high maintenance' friend.

Either way no-one is obliged to be friends with anyone else, so as much as it's upsetting you gotta just try and get over it.

Being eaten by anger only hurts you.
Original post by Studentus-anonymous

Either way no-one is obliged to be friends with anyone else, so as much as it's upsetting you gotta just try and get over it.

Why do you think I'm high maintenance?

This is a male friendship btw.
A month ago my best friend stopped talking to me altogether and deleted me off all his social media. I don't know why, I tried calling and texting him but he never responded. I know where he lives so I could confront him now since I'm back in my home town where he still lives.

Should I?

I just feel robbed for all those years I invested in this friendship, I confided in him the most and he confided me in as well.

I go through cycles of hating him then forgiving him and it's a viscious circle right now. A part of me will always hate him for treating me like this but a part of me wants to forgive him and possibly even forget him and become bffs again.

I don't know, I feel like I'm being a door mat.

I don't know what I did wrong to him. I just know that he has cut me out.

I suspect he is jealous of me, he's always been second best to me. Though I never rubbed it in his face. I have a good degree (medicine) and he's doing some bogus course with terrible job prospects yet I always supported him when other people (including his own family) were putting him down.

I just feel betrayed and hurt. :cry:

lmao. :rolleyes:

You're one of those medic students. No wonder he blocked you.

edit: Just read through the thread. You sound like a clingy teenage girl lmao.
(edited 9 years ago)
What advice?

Original post by Ben_Dover
He's a leech. He's sucker everything of.you and moved on. Probably best to hang with your other friends before he Sucks more stuff out of you

Original post by Studentus-anonymous

For sure it sounds like OP is high maintenance and arrogant. Possibly the emotional leech in the friendship. I suspect thats why his friend bailed. Probably couldn't stand it anymore.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending