The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by lerjj
what I was predicted:
1 A*^ 10 A* 1 A

What I will probably get:

1 A*^ 7 A* 3A

I'll probably celebrate by sleeping for the rest of the year. If I get lower than expected then I don't know... probably hibernate until September. As long as I get my entry requirements.

Good luck and I hope you get what you deserve
I honestly don't know how y'all can be confident enough to state what you are expecting for the exams.
I'm at that point where I think i've done well some days and poorly on other days.
Also I am shocked about the astonishingly high grade expectations people seem to have and can only wish you the very best in achieving them.
But I might as well attempt to follow the trail

What are you hoping for?

Being a medical hopeful, id 'hope' for 8-10 A*s, 3-5 As and a B/C for Spanish
What are you expecting?
Being realistic id be over the moon with my projected 6 A*s, 7 A's and a C in Spanish
Will you be satisfied with your expectation?
If I got the 6 A*s, 'satisfied' would not be the right word to use.
How will you open them?
Urm...id have a short prayer before hand then nervously rip open the envelope...then attempt to read the vigorously moving paper due to nerves
How will you celebrate / react?
If I got the 6 A*s I dunno what id do...rip off my shirt then jump out of the nearest window? (only to find out that my results weren't actually mine but someone else's that got mixed up in the evelope and id actually achieved straight D's)
Will you meet your Sixth Form/College offer?
well...as long as my nightmares don't become a reality...
Reply 122
Original post by PointDexter
I honestly don't know how y'all can be confident enough to state what you are expecting for the exams.
I'm at that point where I think i've done well some days and poorly on other days.
Also I am shocked about the astonishingly high grade expectations people seem to have and can only wish you the very best in achieving them.
But I might as well attempt to follow the trail

What are you hoping for?

Being a medical hopeful, id 'hope' for 8-10 A*s, 3-5 As and a B/C for Spanish
What are you expecting?
Being realistic id be over the moon with my projected 6 A*s, 7 A's and a C in Spanish
If I got the 6 A*s, 'satisfied' would not be the right word to use.
How will you open them?
Urm...id have a short prayer before hand then nervously rip open the envelope...then attempt to read the vigorously moving paper due to nerves
If I got the 6 A*s I dunno what id do...rip off my shirt then jump out of the nearest window? (only to find out that my results weren't actually mine but someone else's that got mixed up in the envelope and id actually achieved straight D's)
well...as long as my nightmares don't become a reality...

I wish you all the best and hope you get the grades that you honestly deserve :smile:!
Original post by PointDexter
lol sorry buddy medicine courses at unis lets you off with having a few Cs needless of Bs so dont be worried if you get ONE B

Original post by JayJay-C19
Yeah, sorry, you don't have to get all A's and A*'s at GCSE to do medicine.

I know but most of people applying are gonna have 56A*s
Reply 124
Original post by Angelo12231
I know but most of people applying are gonna have 56A*s

Can I just say one thing? I'm not moaning at you, okay, but you keep giving numbers like 5/6 for A*'s and moaning about 1 or 2 B's when you take atleast 10 GCSE's. It makes no sense. getting 6A*'s means you can afford to have 4 B's it wouldn't make a difference. So, it'd be nice if you stop using medicine as a reason because it makes no sense.
Can I just say one thing? I'm not moaning at you, okay, but you keep giving numbers like 5/6 for A*'s and moaning about 1 or 2 B's when you take atleast 10 GCSE's. It makes no sense. getting 6A*'s means you can afford to have 4 B's it wouldn't make a difference. So, it'd be nice if you stop using medicine as a reason because it makes no sense.

its okay bro and i didn't say anything about 6A*s haha, i wish... I think i will get 2A* 8As 1B or even 2Bs... I also think medicine is a very valid excuse seeing as it is a very compeitive course, unis will most likely accept the best grades out there... with many people on TSR and elsewhere wanting to do medicine, there is not one person that i know of that is expecting any less that 5A*s and the rest As thus my results would be considered quite weak so i'd have to be exceptional in other parts of my application.. it just gives me more stress if im getting lower than most people
Reply 126
Firstly, I will point out that I'm an adult learner; I took my original GCSE's before you all were even born! Some things on here really surprise me; I went to a good grammar school, but despite this, very few of us were predicted straight A's (There was no such thing as A* back then). We generally took 9 - 11 GCSE's, I don't know how you fit 13 in! It sounds like you're all very motivated and have worked hard, well done.
I just sat a Psychology GCSE purely because it's a subject I'm interested in. So, in answer to the OP's questions;

What am I hoping for?
A* as I've never had the chance to get one before!

What am I expecting?
A

Will I be satisfied with my expectation?
Yes, I worked as hard as I could.

How will I open them?
With shaking hands...

How will I celebrate/react?
We're all going for a pub lunch regardless of results. So, good or bad, at least there'll be food.

Will I meet my 6th form/College offer?
I'm 37. I won't be going to 6th form.

Good luck everyone!
Reply 127
Original post by Angelo12231
its okay bro and i didn't say anything about 6A*s haha, i wish... I think i will get 2A* 8As 1B or even 2Bs... I also think medicine is a very valid excuse seeing as it is a very compeitive course, unis will most likely accept the best grades out there... with many people on TSR and elsewhere wanting to do medicine, there is not one person that i know of that is expecting any less that 5A*s and the rest As thus my results would be considered quite weak so i'd have to be exceptional in other parts of my application.. it just gives me more stress if im getting lower than most people

Well then obviously it's not the right course for you if you can't get the grades but whatever, do what you will and good luck.
Well then obviously it's not the right course for you if you can't get the grades but whatever, do what you will and good luck.

i only knew i wanted to do med half way through year 11 :biggrin: same to you
I think yous all need to calm. The results are not out till August. Yous are fretting like they're tomorrow.
Look, at the end of the day, you have done your best and you can't change it. So why are yous all fretting, worrying how many A*s you'll get? (I was lucky to get my one A, the rests Bs and Cs with then A-levels going down the swanny, but im doing just fine, I completed 2nd year with a solid 2:1, as I did 1st year).

I read somewhere here that someone is a bit worried about a B for medicine because of the competition and "unis will pffer to the best people" (or something along those lines). This is true, but do you really believe that it's only your GCSE grades that determine everything? Trust me. A lot of University applications work on your expected amount of UCAS points. Which can go by your GCSE grade. But they also may not. Amd there's other things like your personal statement and whatnot. Also, you got at least another year or so till you gotta start worrying about that and then you've got to starting thinking about your UCAS portfolio.
Im telling you this, because at 16 I was always worried about my future. Looking back, I wish I'd just enjoyed it more. Work as hard as you can, but let go as well, not worry if you've worked hard enough.

Its 12.45 and I have work in the morning. So good night. But remember. CHILL!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 130
Original post by DougieMcpuggy
I think yous all need to calm. The results are not out till August. Yous are fretting like they're tomorrow.
Look, at the end of the day, you have done your best and you can't change it. So why are yous all fretting, worrying how many A*s you'll get? (I was lucky to get my one A, the rests Bs and Cs with then A-levels going down the swanny, but im doing just fine, I completed 2nd year with a solid 2:1, as I did 1st year).

I read somewhere here that someone is a bit worried about a B for medicine because of the competition and "unis will pffer to the best people" (or something along those lines). This is true, but do you really believe that it's only your GCSE grades that determine everything? Trust me. A lot of University applications work on your expected amount of UCAS points. Which can go by your GCSE grade. But they also may not. Amd there's other things like your personal statement and whatnot. Also, you got at least another year or so till you gotta start worrying about that and then you've got to starting thinking about your UCAS portfolio.
Im telling you this, because at 16 I was always worried about my future. Looking back, I wish I'd just enjoyed it more. Work as hard as you can, but let go as well, not worry if you've worked hard enough.

Its 12.45 and I have work in the morning. So good night. But remember. CHILL!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think some of us are fretting because pretty much all of us want to go to oxbridge and whatever so those high high grades are really important and some schools require xyz grades for you to sit certain AS Levels and so missing out on a grade boundary could completely ruin your future. Like for medicine, you have to maintain such a high standard from GCSE to Degree level and its hard, as I'm sure you know. But anyway, night.
I think some of us are fretting because pretty much all of us want to go to oxbridge and whatever so those high high grades are really important and some schools require xyz grades for you to sit certain AS Levels and so missing out on a grade boundary could completely ruin your future. Like for medicine, you have to maintain such a high standard from GCSE to Degree level and its hard, as I'm sure you know. But anyway, night.

While I agree with you, you have to understand that A-Levels are on a whole new level. They are ridiculously hard and Degree level is totally different to A level (I find it a heck of a lot easier). Even if you don't get the grades, you shouldn't think that your future is ruined at 16. No way. There are ways around everything and resits are ways an option as well (daunting, yes, but in the long run, who cares? ). You can't think your future is ruined by a B.

And So what if you don't get into oxbridge? There are other universities out there you know, sure they may not be the Russel Groups Number 1 or whatever, but some of them are just as good! Even if this is a worst case scenario. Pretty soon you'll find that league tables and Russell Groups things dont matter once youve found the university that suits you.
I go to a Tiny little uni in Liverpool. And I absolutely love it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 132
Original post by DougieMcpuggy
While I agree with you, you have to understand that A-Levels are on a whole new level. They are ridiculously hard and Degree level is totally different to A level (I find it a heck of a lot easier). Even if you don't get the grades, you shouldn't think that your future is ruined at 16. No way. There are ways around everything and resits are ways an option as well (daunting, yes, but in the long run, who cares? ). You can't think your future is ruined by a B.

And So what if you don't get into oxbridge? There are other universities out there you know, sure they may not be the Russel Groups Number 1 or whatever, but some of them are just as good! Even if this is a worst case scenario. Pretty soon you'll find that league tables and Russell Groups things dont matter once youve found the university that suits you.
I go to a Tiny little uni in Liverpool. And I absolutely love it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree but you have to see that for some, OXBRIDGE is everything and their ultimate goal so they're not going to really think much of the others until they don't get in there or whatever.

Good night and have a good day a work tomorrow!
GCSE Results:

What are you hoping for?
2A's 5B's 2C's

What are you expecting?
1A 4B's 2C'S 1D 1U

Well satisfied isn't the word I'd use but I would be content due to the fact that for the amount of work I did I don't deserve the grades i'm hoping for.

How will you open them?
Well, i'll go to school as soon as it opens run in grab my results and run out avoiding as many people as possible and go to a roof somewhere and open the envelope.

smoke a spliff by myself and just think about life for a while.
Most likely.

Reply 134
Original post by AFreeman

GCSE Results:

What are you hoping for?
2A's 5B's 2C's

What are you expecting?
1A 4B's 2C'S 1D 1U

Well satisfied isn't the word I'd use but I would be content due to the fact that for the amount of work I did I don't deserve the grades i'm hoping for.

How will you open them?
Well, i'll go to school as soon as it opens run in grab my results and run out avoiding as many people as possible and go to a roof somewhere and open the envelope.

smoke a spliff by myself and just think about life for a while.
Most likely.

Good luck, I hope you get what you deserve.
(edited 9 years ago)
GCSE Results:

What are you hoping for?

What are you expecting?

How will you open them?

What are you hoping for?

- 5 A*'s, 2 A's, 2 B's and 2 C's :biggrin:

What are you expecting?

- 3 A*'s, 2 A's, 2 B's, 4 C's
:frown:

- No. Purely because of the subjects that will have achieved the C's and B's.

How will you open them?

- Me and my best friend are going to open each others first then pass them over once they've been read.

- Probably be really upset but just happy that I got my grades to get into my sixth form. Which I know I will... without a doubt.

- YES. Already have 3 of the 5 grades necessary.

I'm hoping for;
English lit: A*
H&Sc: A*
Product Design: A*
Maths: A
RS: A
Additional Science: A

Expecting;
English lit: A
Product Design: A
Maths: C/B

I would love to get the hoping for grades but I would be over the moon with my expected grades, considering at the beginning of year 10 I was a D grade student.

I'm going to open them as you normally open a letter and in school in the corner of the library so I can talk to my teachers about sixth form options.

I'll cry with happiness if I get the top set of grades and I'll probably go round hugging everyone! In the evening I'm going out for a meal with some friends to celebrate our results.

Yes, I've already met my sixth form offer as I got all 5 of the required grades last year for entry. However I need to get an A in additional science and English lit to take the subjects I want to do at Alevel.
GCSE Results:

What are you hoping for?
- 1A* 6As 3Bs

What are you expecting?
- 4As 5Bs 3Cs

- No, because in certain subjects, I would like to get an A grade e.g. Maths, French and Eng. Lit.

How will you open them?
- Don't know yet :smile:

- Probably cry happy or sad tears maybe both. I already know the FEELS will overcome me. And Nando's with friends.

- Most likely but it depends what 6th form I decide to go to. But I already have 3 A* - C grades.
Original post by amelimoo
I'm hoping for;
English lit: A*
Product Design: A*
Maths: A

Expecting;
English lit: A
Product Design: A
Maths: C/B

I would love to get the hoping for grades but I would be over the moon with my expected grades, considering at the beginning of year 10 I was a D grade student.

I'm going to open them as you normally open a letter and in school in the corner of the library so I can talk to my teachers about sixth form options.

I'll cry with happiness if I get the top set of grades and I'll probably go round hugging everyone! In the evening I'm going out for a meal with some friends to celebrate our results.

Yes, I've already met my sixth form offer as I got all 5 of the required grades last year for entry. However I need to get an A in additional science and English lit to take the subjects I want to do at Alevel.

I've also got 5 GCSEs from last year;
Core Science: A
Geography: B
Media Studies: B
English Language: C
Foundation maths: C

So altogether I'm hoping for 3A*s, 4 A's, 2 B's and 2 C's.

But being deadly realistic I probably got 1 A*, 5 A's, 3 B's and 2 C's but to be honest I would be ecstatic if I got either set of grades.
Reply 138
GCSE Results:

I'm hoping for 7A*s and 2As.... I really hope I get only A and above.. If not... :/

I'm probably expecting a few B's in Drama and Additional Science :/

I wont really be satisfied with my expectation...

I'll open my results all the way in september and I will make sure to do it discretly...

I doubt there will be a point in celebrating :frown:
Reply 139
What are you hoping for?
2A*s 6As 1C (I already have two As)

What are you expecting?
5As 2Bs 1C 1D(art ha)

Not really - I know I can do better than that but I barely revised.
Hopefully I can get a little closer to my initial hopes, but in the long run I don't think it will affect me too much. I completely messed up French (and art was destined to fail) but the rest I am very uncertain of! :s-smilie:

How will you open them?
I will probably go and collect them without my family, then open them alone on the way home. I don't want to be around my intensely good at revising friends at that point!

Probably a mixture of relief and disappointment, they will be reasonable I should hope! Might go for a meal later if I do okay!

Definitely, but I won't be able to do maths or the sciences if I don't get an A in each of them :K:
(edited 9 years ago)

Latest