The Student Room Group

to apply for medicine

to apply for medicine do u need AAAA for your AS results?
Nope, not necessarily

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3

then what grades?
Reply 4
Original post by Mini-Minion
Nope, not necessarily

Posted from TSR Mobile

what grades?
Original post by coolgamer
what grades?

You should be predicted at least AAA for your final A Level grades.

Obviously high AS Level grades will help with this, but you don't need AAAA at AS Level.
Reply 6
Original post by Chief Wiggum
You should be predicted at least AAA for your final A Level grades.

Obviously high AS Level grades will help with this, but you don't need AAAA at AS Level.

if i got a C is it okay to be predicted a A
if i got a C is it okay to be predicted a A

That would depend on your school. They make the predictions.

Also, I can't really remember how UCAS works, so I'm not sure if you have to record that you got a C at AS. If so, I guess medical schools may be sceptical that you can bring it up to an A.

You might as well apply anyway though, and then even if you don't get in this year, if you end up with AAA, then you can reapply.
Reply 8
hi all
just wondering do you need to do the national citizen service(ncs) programme if you want to study medicine?
Reply 9

[INDENT]hi all
just wondering do you need to do the national citizen service(ncs) programme if you want to study medicine?

Reply 10
Original post by adekunle
hi all

No.
Reply 11
Is it possible to get in with an A in A level Biology and full D*s in BTEC extended diploma in Applied Science?
Or....... No?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 12
so are you saying there is no point doing it because they were saying it is good for your personal statement so i was wondering if it also applies to medicine PS as well
so are you saying there is no point doing it because they were saying it is good for your personal statement so i was wondering if it also applies to medicine PS as well

Yeah it may well be good, it just doesn't mean it's necessary or a requirement. You asked if it was needed- no, it's not, but would still look good on your personal statement it's just there's other things you can do as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SinaPars
Is it possible to get in with an A in A level Biology and full D*s in BTEC extended diploma in Applied Science?
Or....... No?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The normal offer is AAA in your A levels. So probably not likely. Although you could always phone/email individual med schools and ask them :h:
Reply 15
Original post by tryrevise
Yeah it may well be good, it just doesn't mean it's necessary or a requirement. You asked if it was needed- no, it's not, but would still look good on your personal statement it's just there's other things you can do as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

thank you very much for the reply. i really appreciate it.
what are the other things please?
thank you very much for the reply. i really appreciate it.
what are the other things please?

I'm by no means an expert on this as i'm still in school, so you will have to research this yourself but as you hopefully know for medicine it's really important to have relevant work experience and volunteering in healthcare -so hospices, GP surgeries, pharmacies, hospital if you can get it. Just the grades aren't enough, you need to show that you're well rounded and have a real passion and drive about caring for people as well as knowledge about what being a doctor entails. You need to show that you understand how the career works, what the course will involve, current issues in medicine/healthcare/NHS, so research that and keep up to date with current affairs. Obviously you need a good academic record but you need the volunteering, work experience, extra curriculars (so NCS shows an interest in the community and helping people so can go towards this) as well as some research and knowledge into being a doctor. So yeah, being a competitive applicant for med isn't easy, they want the whole package haha :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
to apply for medicine do u need AAAA for your AS results?

Nope, I just finished my first year at Cardiff and I know several people on the course with AAAB at AS. Obviously it helps to have better grades, and you will be limited where you can apply with lower grades.
hi all

University's like it as it is a very good none academic thing to have but it is not essential
Original post by SinaPars
Or....... No?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Medicine is an academic degree, and as such requires a-levels, not BTECs. Check out university websites for their specific requirements.

Quick Reply

Latest