The Student Room Group

Female bullying in the workplace - what do I do

Scroll to see replies

Original post by redferry
Just remember she's just jealous!

Just tell her you get everything off eBay for 99p :wink:

Ha, might do :lol:
Original post by Marky Mark
How do you know I haven't experienced bullying in the workplace or have been bullied myself? Pretending like this is a woman-only issue is not doing you or the OP any favour, I'm sure it's easy to brushoff valid criticisms as "bitchy and vindictive" than to navigate to your closest mirror and reflect on your own actions.

Someone asking you to do your job does not amount to rampant bullying. Refusing to carryout certain parts of your job in favour of more auspicious working conditions makes you incompetent.

Not like this. This is done exclusively by women towards other women. Have you ever had your life systematically destroyed by people bitching about you because of jealousy.

You are just showing that you really don't get it...

She is bitching, making digs, turning everyone against her. That is bullying.
Original post by Anonymous

"you want to know what my problem is? You're new and you suck up to the owner,
You talk to everyone and you're confident. You dress like you're going out every day and chat to everyone. When I was new, I was terrified. I couldn't speak to anyone and I was scared to speak to the owner. And then you come in like some diva and think everyone loves you. I don't see why it should be any different for you than it was for me"

I don't believe anyone would actually say that. That might be the reason why they behaved the way they did, but to actually be able to admit that to you and themselves shows an unusual level of self-awareness. So you're either projecting your own feelings about the way she treats you and just telling us that that's what said, or this woman has been very honest with you about her character. It doesn't excuse what she's said to you, but you could try and have a bit of empathy. Taking her out shopping and buying her things was a ****ty thing to do. She's jealous of your wealth so you take her out and flash your money around? It seems you have a lot to learn about people.
(edited 9 years ago)
Not like this. This is done exclusively by women towards other women. Have you ever had your life systematically destroyed by people bitching about you because of jealousy.

Male bullying is different you're right. Women are devious and try to emotionally break other women. It's disgusting
Original post by ArtGoblin
I don't believe anyone would actually say that. That might be the reason why they behaved they did, but to actually be able to admit that to you and themselves shows an unusual level of self-awareness. So you're either projecting your own feelings about the way she treats you and just telling us that that's what said, or this woman has been very honest with you about her character. It doesn't excuse what she's said to you, but you could try and have a bit of empathy. Taking her out shopping and buying her things was a ****ty thing to do. She's jealous of your wealth so you take her out and flash your money around? It seems you have a lot to learn about people.

She did say that.

Me have empathy?! To someone who's essentially mocked my phobia and treated my like **** because I happen to come from a wealthy background? Sorry, what? I've tried to be nice to her. What should I empathise with? She has no reason to dislike me. Jealousy is a horrible trait.

Sharing it was ****ty how? :confused:

Yeah I think she seems like that too

So me being unable to do one tiny aspect of my job because of a diagnosed mental health condition is being a diva? Sorry what?

If someone came to me and asked for help for a valid reason Id do it, no questions asked. And no, she's making allowances because the disability discrimination act says reasonable adjustments must be made

Would you say someone in a wheelchair who asked for a ramp instead of the stairs should man up?

Ignore him. What you're being made to go through is completely unfair. It sounds like blatant jealousy because you're obviously a confident, capable and attractive young woman. You make them feel worse about themselves and they resent you for it.

And I think if you have diagnosed general anxiety, she is discriminating against mental illness. Just remind her of that next time.

I think you should write a formal complaint to the company providing a detailed account of how her behaviour constitutes bullying.

Good luck, work place bullying is the worst :frown: Don't let them change you though, keep dressing and behaving how you want.
Record it simple.

I get the feeling that you're tarring all workplaces and indeed ALL women with the same brush which is unfair. Just because you've been bullied doesn't mean the OP is being bullied.

The OP is also mentally ill this can all just be in his head we can't take her word for it and all we have here is her word for it.
I get the feeling that you're tarring all workplaces and indeed ALL women with the same brush which is unfair. Just because you've been bullied doesn't mean the OP is being bullied.

The OP is also mentally ill this can all just be in his head we can't take her word for it and all we have here is her word for it.

I get the feeling you have zero life experience. Or no female friends or siblings working in these types of environments.

No just these kinds of women. And the OP is a girl.

You lack a basic understanding of mental illness clearly.
Original post by ChickenMadness
I get the feeling you have zero life experience. Or no female friends or siblings working in these types of environments.

I have zero life experiences because I think doing your job means just that doing your job and not asking people to make allowances for you because you've had it tough or something?

Being called a diva is not even hurtful it's a joke is what it is. If the OP is that fragile that he cannot handle criticism then he needs to quit working with people which is probably the best idea since this job is giving him anxiety.

The OP's boss told her to jog on basically. I think this speaks volumes.

No just these kinds of women. And the OP is a girl.

You lack a basic understanding of mental illness clearly.

I've asked the OP this before and she didn't answer. Do the colleagues know that the OP is mentally ill? This whole thing could have been "ironed-out" if the OP had explained herself. I suspect the OP hasn't done this which is why people are being negative.

You've got a chip on your shoulder.

I've asked the OP this before and she didn't answer. Do the colleagues know that the OP is mentally ill? This whole thing could have been "ironed-out" if the OP had explained herself. I suspect the OP hasn't done this which is why people are being negative.

She told them she had a germ phobia so yes she did explain.

And you've got absolutely no clue what you are talking about. You're one of those race to the bottom types clearly.
Reply 52
Oh OP, it's just sad how you're being treated. Be strong, don't cry over some jealous bitch, stand up to her. Recording what she says is best, imo.

Good luck with your problems, be they anxiety, your phobia, or the workplace.
She told them she had a germ phobia so yes she did explain.

And you've got absolutely no clue what you are talking about. You're one of those race to the bottom types clearly.

A lot of people use the term phobia loosely these days i.e. I have anxiety, I have a phobia to X. I assume this why the OP was called the diva i.e. someone that believes they are above others.This is why I said the OP needs to mention that she is has been clinically diagnosed in my previous posts.

I have no clue what I'm talking about?

You're a zoology student aren't you? :lol:

Having a mental illness doesn't mean it's all in my head wtf

I have zero life experiences because I think doing your job means just that doing your job and not asking people to make allowances for you because you've had it tough or something?

Being called a diva is not even hurtful it's a joke is what it is. If the OP is that fragile that he cannot handle criticism then he needs to quit working with people which is probably the best idea since this job is giving him anxiety.

My boss didn't tell me to jog on, my boss actually told the other girl to be more sympathetic. And I did answer, I said they're aware of it. I have told them.
Original post by TolerantBeing
Ignore him. What you're being made to go through is completely unfair. It sounds like blatant jealousy because you're obviously a confident, capable and attractive young woman. You make them feel worse about themselves and they resent you for it.

And I think if you have diagnosed general anxiety, she is discriminating against mental illness. Just remind her of that next time.

I think you should write a formal complaint to the company providing a detailed account of how her behaviour constitutes bullying.

Good luck, work place bullying is the worst :frown: Don't let them change you though, keep dressing and behaving how you want.

Thank you :smile: really good advice
Original post by Aile
Oh OP, it's just sad how you're being treated. Be strong, don't cry over some jealous bitch, stand up to her. Recording what she says is best, imo.

Good luck with your problems, be they anxiety, your phobia, or the workplace.

:hugs:

Sounds like you have no idea of these female bullying situations lol. It's very common.
She did say that.

Me have empathy?! To someone who's essentially mocked my phobia and treated my like **** because I happen to come from a wealthy background? Sorry, what? I've tried to be nice to her. What should I empathise with? She has no reason to dislike me. Jealousy is a horrible trait.

Sharing it was ****ty how? :confused:

She seems like she lacks empathy too. It's not nice to be treated badly in a new place, and if she had a hard time when she first came she should have understood. However, she's told you why she dislikes you and you still can't understand. Jealously might not be nice, but we all experience it, right? You seem to have everything she wants; expensive clothes, make-up, confidence, a good relationship with the boss etc. Again, I'll stress that this doesn't excuse her behaviour but you might get on better in life if you try to understand things from the other side.

From where I'm standing, there have been plenty of reasons for her to take a dislike to you but you're refusing to think about that. That you bought her stuff shows that you don't understand her; you probably think it was a nice thing to do, but when someone dislikes you because they perceive you as a show-off, you don't go and flaunt your money in front of them!

I know that people are like "you shouldn't have to change who you are" etc etc. but in some situations you've got to compromise to get along with people. In work you're going to have to work with lots of different people and it's best for everyone if we change a little from who were are outside of work. I would say that very expensive bags are inappropriate for most jobs.
I said I have generalised anxiety...

Employers have to make reasonable adjustments for disabilities, you know, so they don't treat is badly? For example having someone else do the bins and me mop the floor (which I'm fine with because I don't have to touch it) is a reasonable adjustment. I'm not saying I won't do any if it, just that one specific thing.

Yes, they do

Has your boss clearly told you that you do not need to do the bins?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending