The Student Room Group

I am an ex Muslim. Ask me anything.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by HashimKF
In my first few months of being non-Muslim I missed having that time to reflect. Now I meditate which is thousands of times better than prayer to clear the mind. Not Buddhist either, just adopting a working practice of theirs :biggrin:

That's pretty cool. I allocate some time every night to think about my day. I find it very helpful! :biggrin:
How could you lose faith when you don't have faith in God? What are other reasons?
What made you do this?
I would suggest you to research on this issue, n then decide what's right n wrong for you. Because its not a game dear, your life hereafter is dependent on this. You took this decision a year ago so u might not take my word seriously. No offence But give it some time, I am sure u will find the right path inshaAllah. Use internet and get your questions answered my scholarly people. Good day.
The reason for the downfall of the religion is the Muslims themselves!
Original post by Hassan20
The reason for the downfall of the religion is the Muslims themselves!

Hey Brother. Just stop replying to this thread. I gave the thread starter an honest answer in the kindest way. And he/she started bashing me for being arrogant. It made me laugh, because I was sincerely trying to help him.
And you know what? He also reported one of posts for trolling! I never trolled in my answers I'm sure about that. But I request you to just please report this thread, because he's indirectly trying to insult all Muslims and mislead our brothers and sisters.

Thanks.
Original post by Mystery Me
Hey Brother. Just stop replying to this thread. I gave the thread starter an honest answer in the kindest way. And he/she started bashing me for being arrogant. It made me laugh, because I was sincerely trying to help him.
And you know what? He also reported one of posts for trolling! I never trolled in my answers I'm sure about that. But I request you to just please report this thread, because he's indirectly trying to insult all Muslims and mislead our brothers and sisters.

Thanks.

That was the first idea I got though. I won't say anything he/she can change her religion 100 times. I am amused by people who do it for fun and I am more amused at the reaction in the way they do just leave it. Anyone who has any firm beliefs specially if Islamic won't be acting in the way people do.
Peace No worries !!
Original post by ExMus
I think about what is harmful to others and what is not. If it is harmful then I think it is morally wrong. Of course this is simplistic but the idea is that I think about it; my morality is self made.

Lying is harmful to the others, so why not stop? but you don't have any motivation to make it stop!

"Aisha's marriage being consummated when she was 9;
Slavery;
Jihad;
Misogyny.

Just a few"

Do your research before making false accusations.
Original post by ExMus
I came into contact with gays and sexually active teens, but the biggest factor certainly was that it dawned on me as I grew older.

No I haven't. Well, come to think of it, while half conscious i saw this 5 ft pale lady walk in through my door and then just vanish. I think it was my head playing games. But what I am more sure of is that you are referring to a religious experience rather than an odd supernatural one haha.

My mum certainly has noticed me being a bit more relaxed - she noticed i don't do friday prayers or fast at all anymore, though I am sure it doesn't cross her mind much. My friends have tried and asked me to go pray with them on fridays and they used to ask why I don't go anymore to which i used to reply, I am not so practicing (which sufficed after some persistence). They have since gave up with trying.
As regard to openness, yes. I argue with my parents against arranged marriage usually and how it is damaging to certain parties involved and stuff and they kinda started agreeing with me, which was quite surprising.

:lol: Why were you half conscious?:lol: Odd supernatural ones are cool too.

Have you retained any somewhat religious ideas - like, do you believe in ideas like spirits, djinn, angels? Would you prefer for yourself and your children to wait for marriage to have sex?
(More related to culture...) Would you prefer to marry a nice (former?-)Muslim girl than something else?

Did you ever pray and feel you were answered?

Do you have younger siblings or cousins who look up to you? If so, do you worry you'll be a bad influence on their growing up in faith?
Original post by ronmack
Lying is harmful to the others, so why not stop? but you don't have any motivation to make it stop!

"Aisha's marriage being consummated when she was 9;
Slavery;
Jihad;
Misogyny.

Just a few"

Do your research before making false accusations.

My motivation comes from something deep within myself. I want to stand by my principles.
It doesn't come from a book written 1400 years ago

And I have researched, thank you!
Original post by ExMus
My motivation comes from something deep within myself. I want to stand by my principles.
It doesn't come from a book written 1400 years ago

And I have researched, thank you!

Lets see the sources.

Thank you
Original post by Velasco
:lol: Why were you half conscious?:lol: Odd supernatural ones are cool too.

Have you retained any somewhat religious ideas - like, do you believe in ideas like spirits, djinn, angels? Would you prefer for yourself and your children to wait for marriage to have sex?
(More related to culture...) Would you prefer to marry a nice (former?-)Muslim girl than something else?

Did you ever pray and feel you were answered?

Do you have younger siblings or cousins who look up to you? If so, do you worry you'll be a bad influence on their growing up in faith?

I was nearly falling asleep.

And no, not really. I don't believe in jinns, angels and all that stuff.

And, honestly, as long as I am or they're safe it wouldn't bother me too much. And I don't mind marrying a girl from any culture. It doesn't matter.
so you mean that there is no way to be truly living after death??
you mean no one can do that lets call magic...turn bones and ashes to a living creature...
but what were we at the very beginning?
i think we were something useless ...okay? and which power did the transformation?
transforming a useless material to a living one..
do u know the answer ??
Original post by ExMus
I was nearly falling asleep.

And no, not really. I don't believe in jinns, angels and all that stuff.

Do you believe it was a dream? Hallucination? I'm referring to "i saw this 5 ft pale lady walk in through my door and then just vanish".

It's just that something similar happened to me too while I was half awake i.e. seeing a pale person suspended in horizontally in midair beside the bed for a few seconds and then disappearing.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Xotol
Because it is quite a big issue. When your whole family are devout Muslims and your cultural upbringing is based on Islam, it's kind of hard to get away from it. Not to mention the stigma that generally exists in the Muslim community about apostasy, so many of us go through a lot of our teenage lives not telling our family.

In my experience, Christians tend to be more lax about this sort of thing. On average of course.

still its odd to go and introduce yourself as hey im an ex muslim ama.
Original post by ronmack
Lets see the sources.

Thank you

http://www.answering-islam.org/Quran/Themes/jihad_passages.html

164 verses calling muslims to Jihad, some about captives as well.

http://quran.com/33/52

Slavery

http://www.answering-islam.org/Authors/Arlandson/women_inferior.htm

Misogyny

http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/Quran/003-wife-beating.htm

Wife beating. Pretty disgusting.

Aisha:

The history of al-Tabari, volume 9, p 131. Also, Sahih Bulhari 5:58:234

“My mother came to me while I was being swung on a swing between two branches and got me down. My nurse took over and wiped my face with some water and started leading me. When I was at the door she stopped so I could catch my breath. I was brought in while Muhammad was sitting on a bed in our house. My mother made me sit on his lap. The other men and women got up and left. The Prophet consummated his marriage with me in my house when I was nine years old. Neither a camel nor a sheep was slaughtered on behalf of me.”

This is disgusting.
Original post by Ankabout
Do you believe it was a dream? Hallucination? I'm referring to "i saw this 5 ft pale lady walk in through my door and then just vanish".

It's just that something similar happened to me too while I was half awake i.e. seeing a pale person suspended in horizontally in midair beside the bed for a few seconds and then disappearing.

I am pretty sure it was a hallucination or even a dream. And yeah, similar, except this pale person was walking, not suspended in mid air, with a small basket, and as soon as I woke up (or became fully conscious) the pale person just disappeared.
Original post by ExMus
I am pretty sure it was a hallucination or even a dream. And yeah, similar, except this pale person was walking, not suspended in mid air, with a small basket, and as soon as I woke up (or became fully conscious) the pale person just disappeared.

Oh haha cool dream.
Original post by Mystery Me

Thanks.

Firstly, I did not report you. I don't know how to report so please don't accuse me reporting you. Secondly, I did not ask for your help, so please do not force your "help" on me. It is an ama thread, not one for preaching. Also, I am not trying to insult Muslims and "mislead" your fellow brothers and sisters. Lastly, if you don't like this thread, you don't have to reply!
Original post by Hassan20
That was the first idea I got though. I won't say anything he/she can change her religion 100 times. I am amused by people who do it for fun and I am more amused at the reaction in the way they do just leave it. Anyone who has any firm beliefs specially if Islamic won't be acting in the way people do.
Peace No worries !!

Okay. Could you guys take the conversation elsewhere please? It just doesn't contribute to the ama. Thank you! (:
Original post by James222
still its odd to go and introduce yourself as hey im an ex muslim ama.

I think calling myself an ex muslim allows for better conversation and discussion. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest