The Student Room Group

Should there be an upper TSR age limit?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by just a dad
Interesting.

Most parents will take an interest in what their children are doing, in a general sense that is and not micro stuff, are you saying that you would be uncomfortable with your parents wanting to research, say, your course, university, accommodation, city etc.?

Yeah. I tell my parents what they need to know and then they (hopefully) stay the hell out of my life.

Plus my parents trust me to choose what's right for me and to do everything (UCAS, student finance) before an deadlines so they don't need to ask any questions on here.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 41
OK, I'm not one for people asking about whether or not they should stay on or flounce from TSR, however I have a serious question.

As my ID implies I am older than most on here; I have helped out a few overseas students and parents with info, I spend a bit of time on the Movie section of TSR (helped the mods put together the Movie Madness competition) and like some other parents on TSR are able to view things from the perspective of being a graduate with children now at Uni. I also work with and have advised graduate recruits.

My understanding was that TSR was open to anyone connected to student life ... however I have been directly asked if I am "a paedo" for posting on this site.

Clearly I find this question distressing, however it made me wonder. Do you guys freak out at the thought of 'older' posters using TSR, regardless of their student connections? Should parents be banned? Should there be an age limit for TSR?

I would genuinely be interested in your thoughts.

Regards

just a dad

To be honest, I would take the advice from someone who is a lot older with greater life experience and knowledge over egotistical students my age, any day of the week.
Like many have said, "student" isn't a term for those who are between 17-25. Young students are far more impetuous than those who are much older.
Original post by pane123
I do find it a bit weird when people in their 40s+ actively engage in discussion with people 20 years younger than them. If this happened in real life it would be a bit odd.

Sounds a bit ageist?
Reply 43
Original post by SmallTownGirl
Yeah. I tell my parents what they need to know and then they (hopefully) stay the hell out of my life.

OK, point taken. At the risk of being insensitive, that might reflect the relationship you have with your parents as much as anything else, but I respect your view.
Original post by pane123
20 wasn't the best number to use, I'll concede. Add on another 5 years and it is odd, so your incredulity is quite astonishing. You obviously feel very, very strongly about this.

Adding five would only bring the two ages closer together or did you mean +5 on the like 40+? To me personally that would make no difference but perhaps to others. I think if you had said like a 12yo or 14yo (there are some very young people on here apparently) with 40+yo then I can see where you are coming from (especially if that happened in real life). Hey this is just my opinion :P Don't get me wrong, if you think it is odd that's totally fine with me!

You know what I actually really don't feel that strongly about this at all even though my initial post might make you believe otherwise. I'm just surprised that you find it so odd.

I understand age gaps can be controversial in some areas but we are talking about having a discussion here not a relationship :tongue:
Definitely not. I find having the 'older' members on here is really useful. They can give advice and an insight that nobody my age can, which I really value!
Original post by Fawkesgirl33
Sounds a bit ageist?

Is this a question or a statement? How is it ageist?
Im not even Human and I post all the time
Original post by Pop_tart
Adding five would only bring the two ages closer together or did you mean +5 on the like 40+? To me personally that would make no difference but perhaps to others. I think if you had said like a 12yo or 14yo (there are some very young people on here apparently) with 40+yo then I can see where you are coming from (especially if that happened in real life). Hey this is just my opinion :P Don't get me wrong, if you think it is odd that's totally fine with me!

You know what I actually really don't feel that strongly about this at all even though my initial post might make you believe otherwise. I'm just surprised that you find it so odd.

I understand age gaps can be controversial in some areas but we are talking about having a discussion here not a relationship :tongue:

Adding 5 years would make the gap 25 years, meaning you could have a 15 year old debating with a 40 year old. That is what I find odd.
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
Makeup artist and stylist

Very nice!
Students can be a variety of ages, for example my mum started an OU degree in her forties. As long as language is moderated and no-one pretends to be an age they are not, I have no wish for an age limit.
OK, point taken. At the risk of being insensitive, that might reflect the relationship you have with your parents as much as anything else, but I respect your view.

My relationship with my parents is great. I respect their lives and choices and they respect mine. They treat me like the adult I am - not the child some parents imagine their children to be. They let me make decisions knowing that if it's wrong it's me who suffers - not them. They trust my judgement because they know that I'll make the right decision for me at that moment. Just because they don't know everything about my life and control m choices doesn't mean we have a bad relationship.
Original post by pane123
Adding 5 years would make the gap 25 years, meaning you could have a 15 year old debating with a 40 year old. That is what I find odd.

Oh right adding +5 to the age gap, I thought you meant to the 20 years of age :P Like I said if it was like a 12 -15 year old, I can see where you are coming from, that is very different from a 20yo I think.

You can hardly compare a 15yo with a 20yo.
Reply 53
Original post by barnetlad
Students can be a variety of ages, for example my mum started an OU degree in her forties. As long as language is moderated and no-one pretends to be an age they are not, I have no wish for an age limit.

I think that's fair comment. Hence why I chose my ID and avatar.
Reply 54
My relationship with my parents is great. I respect their lives and choices and they respect mine. They treat me like the adult I am - not the child some parents imagine their children to be. They let me make decisions knowing that if it's wrong it's me who suffers - not them. They trust my judgement because they know that I'll make the right decision for me at that moment. Just because they don't know everything about my life and control m choices doesn't mean we have a bad relationship.

Clearly I wasn't referring to "everything" and "control", I made a point about not being involved in the micro stuff, however I am sorry if you have taken any offence.
Clearly I wasn't referring to "everything" and "control", I made a point about not being involved in the micro stuff, however I am sorry if you have taken any offence.

Oh, I'm not offended. I just felt the need to inform you that a close relationship with ones family doesn't mean you need to know every detail of their lives.
Original post by pane123
Jesus Christ, let it go. I'll change my post if it will shut you up.

Wow someone is getting worked up! This is a forum where people have discussions, people reply to each others messages, didn't realise it was annoying you so much! I thought we were just having a normal discussion :smile:

Don't let it get to you so much man!
Reply 57
Oh, I'm not offended. I just felt the need to inform you that a close relationship with ones family doesn't mean you need to know every detail of their lives.

Why keep going with the "every detail" narrative? I keep stating that I'm talking macro and not micro; I don't know how I can be any more transparent.

To be clear, it is possible for a parent to be interested in the big picture stuff whilst keeping their distance from the personal stuff. Yes?
Why keep going with the "every detail" narrative? I keep stating that I'm talking macro and not micro; I don't know how I can be any more transparent.

To be clear, it is possible for a parent to be interested in the big picture stuff whilst keeping their distance from the personal stuff. Yes?

But a parent doesn't need to know about the course, uni, accommodation etc because it's not them that's going - it's their child.
Reply 59
But a parent doesn't need to know about the course, uni, accommodation etc because it's not them that's going - it's their child.

If the (adult) child believes there is no value to be had in the thoughts and experience of their parents then you may have a point. I would argue that those parents may, possibly, be able to offer something of value.

Not much they can say if they don't even know where you are going!

FWIW, I would be incredibly hurt if my son or daughter felt that way. I would have failed as a parent. However, each to their own.

Quick Reply

Latest