The Student Room Group

Year 9 levels?

Just wondering what these levels would be approximately in grades, and with these levels what would be expected in year 11? All the subjects below are ones I'm taking next year
I did a English gcse paper a few months ago and got 72/80 which is just about an A* (it was purely luck!)
In physics I got an A in a gcse paper, nearly an A*.
In the last maths test I got a level 8c, but i think now I've improved i might be a bit higher
In history I was a 7a just after Christmas, but since we have a new teacher now, she hadn't given us any assessments or marked work since.
Geography I'm a 7c apparently.. But so is the girl who sits next to me and does no work what so ever (because 7c is her target.) But in my last proper assessment I got a 7a (although it was never put into my reports :/ )
French I'm a 6a
PE I'm only a 6b, and i have to take it as a gcse next year.
I passed my music Btec level one this year, and I'm working at a grade 4/5 level on keyboard.
Reply 1
This is a rough estimate so nothing certain, although your school should be giving you rough target grades anyway?

If you're getting an A/A* in a GCSE paper you're well on the way to an almost certain A* at GCSE
8c in Maths I would say is A/A*
7a in History is A/A*
7a in Geography is A/A*
6a in French I'm not too sure about as languages are slightly different. That could be a B, however I have a feeling that is also A/A*
Are you sure you have to take PE GCSE? We have to do lessons, but not the actual GCSE. If so, PE is also A/A*.
Not sure about Music, sorry
lol. Levels mean nothing. I was on 4c for Spanish at the end of year 9 and got moved to top set and managed to get an A*. Likewise I was only on 6c for maths and managed to get an A*. Levels don't indicate your GCSE grades.
Reply 3
Really? That's surprising, especially pe.. We definitely have to do it, it's new for our year group and we do 5 lessons every fortnight.
The target grades we've been given so far for gcse are FFT ones, which say I should be getting a B in English and Science ( which I've already proved wrong!)
Original post by Maya2000
Just wondering what these levels would be approximately in grades, and with these levels what would be expected in year 11? All the subjects below are ones I'm taking next year
I did a English gcse paper a few months ago and got 72/80 which is just about an A* (it was purely luck!)
In physics I got an A in a gcse paper, nearly an A*.
In the last maths test I got a level 8c, but i think now I've improved i might be a bit higher
In history I was a 7a just after Christmas, but since we have a new teacher now, she hadn't given us any assessments or marked work since.
Geography I'm a 7c apparently.. But so is the girl who sits next to me and does no work what so ever (because 7c is her target.) But in my last proper assessment I got a 7a (although it was never put into my reports :/ )
French I'm a 6a
PE I'm only a 6b, and i have to take it as a gcse next year.
I passed my music Btec level one this year, and I'm working at a grade 4/5 level on keyboard.

Hi I'm in Year 9 too! We were told that (as a guideline) for targets:

Level 8= A*
Level 7= A
Level 6= B... Etc.
However, that doesn't guarantee that you will get those grades- you still have to work hard :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by karmacrunch
Hi I'm in Year 9 too! We were told that (as a guideline) for targets:

Level 8= A*
Level 7= A
Level 6= B... Etc.
However, that doesn't guarantee that you will get those grades- you still have to work hard :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think this is the most accurate way of projecting levels tbh, but levels don't mean much at this stage.. OP, You can start worrying about predicted grades and stuff once you've started the GCSE course and your teachers will be able to have better idea of what you're likely to get. But if it helps, I was getting level 6s and 7s in year 9 and once I went into year 10 I was predicted all As and A*s by April- I don't really think NC levels reflect your ability that well as the teacher makes them up half the time (or at least mine did :wink: ) like what you said for geography. It certainly seems like you're going to do really well at GCSE and probably get straight A/A* grades, so I wouldn't worry about it. Oh and btw, FFT grades are so stupid and are calculated by the government on a number of factors including where you live and what your parents do for a job which shouldn't have any effect on your grade! so just ignore them, you're clearly going to get way higher than that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest