The Student Room Group

How to deal with jealous friends?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
I don't know how he is feeling since he cut me out. I'm not a mind reader. Even if I did something wrong the least he could do is tell me to give me the chance to apologise. Ignoring me like this is not how you treat a close friend. This is why I at first thought it was ALL my fault then I thought about it some more and realised that all the problems seem to stem from him. At this point I don't want that friendship back I just want to know why, I want closure.

So you think I should ask him?

The only way I can think of confronting him is going to his house. Do you reckon this is a good idea?

I've been to his house before and I'm really friendly with his family. But I don't want it to be awkward and feel like I'm intruding on him

Do you really think so? Or are you just +rep whoring?

What are you waiting for go to his house. You should have done it first. But don't bring up how he un-friended you straight away.
Don't bother confronting him directly, he's unlikely to tell you how it really is, if you want to know what's on his mind, get a mutual friend to speak to him and ask him what's up

A similar thing happened to me some years ago, a close friend of mine stopped talking to me for no apparent reason, one day we were fine and the next he cut me off, the very last conversation we had was about one of our Maths A-Level exams, I only realised he had cut me off when he ignored me in the street, I asked a mutual friend to ask him what was up, he called him up right away and he said what was on his mind, it wasn't pleasant and I didn't and still don't know what on earth he was talking about but I left it at that, he didn't want to talk to me so there was nothing I could do, you can't force someone to be your friend

A little background info: we were very close in high school, went to different sixth forms, still kept in touch but obviously not as often
Original post by ridwan12
What are you waiting for go to his house. You should have done it first. But don't bring up how he un-friended you straight away.

I'm scared of finding out what it is. Also I should mention that he cut me off about a month ago so time has passed. You think I still should pop over? A part of me is scared, I have butterflies in my stomach. An end of an era

Original post by Anonymοοse
Don't bother confronting him directly, he's unlikely to tell you how it really is, if you want to know what's on his mind, get a mutual friend to speak to him and ask him what's up

A similar thing happened to me some years ago, a close friend of mine stopped talking to me for no apparent reason, one day we were fine and the next he cut me off, the very last conversation we had was about one of our Maths A-Level exams, I only realised he had cut me off when he ignored me in the street, I asked a mutual friend to ask him what was up, he called him up right away and he said what was on his mind, it wasn't pleasant and I didn't and still don't know what on earth he was talking about but I left it at that, he didn't want to talk to me so there was nothing I could do, you can't force someone to be your friend

A little background info: we were very close in high school, went to different sixth forms, still kept in touch but obviously not as often

Wow thanks for giving me the best advice in this thread.

You're right I cannot make him my friend and I don't even want him back as a friend anyway, I just want to know the reason behind his odd decision.

How did you move on? Did you find it easy to make other friendships?

I was only really close to him. Seems like I put all my eggs in one basket. Don't get me wrong I have other friends but it's not the same as with him. :moon:
Trolls gonna troll

I think it's you who is jealous of your friend. In your opening post you wrote:

'I have a good degree (medicine) and he's doing some bogus course with terrible job prospects yet'

I think you wanted him to be jealous but because he has a great personality and isn't jealous, you're jealous of his awesome personality.

It's pathetic.
I'm scared of finding out what it is. Also I should mention that he cut me off about a month ago so time has passed. You think I still should pop over? A part of me is scared, I have butterflies in my stomach. An end of an era

You're right I cannot make him my friend and I don't even want him back as a friend anyway, I just want to know the reason behind his odd decision.

I was only really close to him. Seems like I put all my eggs in one basket. Don't get me wrong I have other friends but it's not the same as with him. :moon:

Seriously you need to go see him or you'll end up wondering why.

Want closure go see him.

It will be worth it in the end.
Original post by Ben_Dover
I think it's you who is jealous of your friend. In your opening post you wrote:

'I have a good degree (medicine) and he's doing some bogus course with terrible job prospects yet'

I think you wanted him to be jealous but because he has a great personality and isn't jealous, you're jealous of his awesome personality.

It's pathetic.

You conveniently removed the part where I said I helped him to make a pseudointellectual point about me being jealous of someone I want to be friends with? How does this even make sense?

Something tells me that you have always been the black sheep and as such you're projecting harder than a powerpoint slide.
You conveniently removed the part where I said I helped him to make a pseudointellectual point about me being jealous of someone I want to be friends with? How does this even make sense?

Something tells me that you have always been the black sheep and as such you're projecting harder than a powerpoint slide.

You say you helped him but doubt it. That'd why I left it out. I think you are trying your hardest to get him to be jealous of you.

It sickens man
Reply 47
You're making it sound like I'm in love with him. We were incredibly close this why I'm finding it so hard to let go of that friendship. I need closure, I need to know why. I'm incredibly conscientious in my everyday life and this includes maintaining friendships, I cannot help how I feel. I cannot turn it off believe me I have tried.

I have a lot of respect for myself it's not like I'm thinking about him all the time. I have other friends but I'm afraid to commit fully to those friendships for fear of being betrayed like this again. I have my walls up now.

If this is were a troll it'd be a pretty boring one, no? If I were a troll I would have added something about a girl coming between us and somehow blaming ALL women for my problems. :wink:

If all you want is closure then why don't you just go over and ask him why :confused:

I understand where you're coming from, it's never going to feel good when someone you're attached to leaves but you can't let that stop you from meeting new people and allowing yourself to get close to them, it's just a part of life, it sucks at first but you'll always move on with time

As for me, I went to university and made a new group of friends and you will too so don't worry about it too much
This guy has to be a troll. He's just insulting everyone that gives him advice lmao.
I don't know how he is feeling since he cut me out. I'm not a mind reader. Even if I did something wrong the least he could do is tell me to give me the chance to apologise. Ignoring me like this is not how you treat a close friend. This is why I at first thought it was ALL my fault then I thought about it some more and realised that all the problems seem to stem from him. At this point I don't want that friendship back I just want to know why, I want closure.

So you think I should ask him?

The only way I can think of confronting him is going to his house. Do you reckon this is a good idea?

I've been to his house before and I'm really friendly with his family. But I don't want it to be awkward and feel like I'm intruding on him

Do you really think so? Or are you just +rep whoring?

loled
Original post by Kigh
If all you want is closure then why don't you just go over and ask him why :confused:

I'm scared of closing a chapter. This way I at least have hope of rekindling our friendship. :moon:

Original post by Anonymοοse
I understand where you're coming from, it's never going to feel good when someone you're attached to leaves but you can't let that stop you from meeting new people and allowing yourself to get close to them, it's just a part of life, it sucks at first but you'll always move on with time

As for me, I went to university and made a new group of friends and you will too so don't worry about it too much

I think this is what I will do. :cry:
Reply 52
I'm scared of closing a chapter. This way I at least have hope of rekindling our friendship. :moon:

How could you rekindle this friendship when you are not going to ever speak to him again

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending