The Student Room Group

Missed my firm and insurance choice, what to do now? (HELP!)

I am an international student and have recently received my IB results of 35 points, with a 6 in Maths.

I currently have two conditional offers in UCAS, my firm choice being Warwick which requires a total of 38 points and a 5 in Maths and an insurance choice at Nottingham which requires 36 points and a 6 in Maths.

I have written an email to Warwick about my situation and they said that the confirmation of acceptance or rejection may come as late as mid August, which is when A Levels results are published.

Would it be better to call Warwick and rush them to confirm my acceptance or rejection right now? And by doing so, will this have any effect on their consideration of my grades?

The second problem I have is that if I was to wait until A levels results come out for Warwick to reject me, would my chances of being accepted into Nottingham (my insurance choice) decrease? Would it improve my chances of getting into Nottingham if I was to tell Warwick to reject me before A levels results come out?

I am really worried as I need time to apply for visa and I am afraid by mid August it would be too late to get a visa. Any help or advice would be appreciated!:smile:
Original post by jordiaug
I am an international student and have recently received my IB results of 35 points, with a 6 in Maths.

I currently have two conditional offers in UCAS, my firm choice being Warwick which requires a total of 38 points and a 5 in Maths and an insurance choice at Nottingham which requires 36 points and a 6 in Maths.

I have written an email to Warwick about my situation and they said that the confirmation of acceptance or rejection may come as late as mid August, which is when A Levels results are published.

Would it be better to call Warwick and rush them to confirm my acceptance or rejection right now? And by doing so, will this have any effect on their consideration of my grades?

The second problem I have is that if I was to wait until A levels results come out for Warwick to reject me, would my chances of being accepted into Nottingham (my insurance choice) decrease? Would it improve my chances of getting into Nottingham if I was to tell Warwick to reject me before A levels results come out?

I am really worried as I need time to apply for visa and I am afraid by mid August it would be too late to get a visa. Any help or advice would be appreciated!:smile:

Warwick will be waiting to see how many other students meet their offers, and therefore whether or not they have space to take you. There isn't any way to try and force them to make a decision now - and if you did, it wouldn't go down well and it probably wouldn't go in your favour.

We have no way of knowing whether Nottingham will take you or not, and the effect of having to wait for Warwick. However, it's likely that Notts will have the same issue with having to wait for A Level results.

In any case, Clearing won't start to any great extent until A Level results day, so in the event of two rejections there's very little (other than research) that you can do before then anyway.
Reply 2
Original post by Origami Bullets
Warwick will be waiting to see how many other students meet their offers, and therefore whether or not they have space to take you. There isn't any way to try and force them to make a decision now - and if you did, it wouldn't go down well and it probably wouldn't go in your favour.

We have no way of knowing whether Nottingham will take you or not, and the effect of having to wait for Warwick. However, it's likely that Notts will have the same issue with having to wait for A Level results.

In any case, Clearing won't start to any great extent until A Level results day, so in the event of two rejections there's very little (other than research) that you can do before then anyway.

Thank you for your response!

However, what do you think my chances are in getting accepted into Warwick with a difference of 3 points, and into Nottingham with a difference of 1 point?
Reply 3
Original post by jordiaug
Thank you for your response!

However, what do you think my chances are in getting accepted into Warwick with a difference of 3 points, and into Nottingham with a difference of 1 point?

Nobody can say. Some people are accepted with that, and others aren't. You'll just have to wait and see. If you don't want to wait and see, the only thing would be to ask them to reject you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending