The Student Room Group

Should there be an upper TSR age limit?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Drewski
Why don't they? In most cases they're the ones paying for it - so want to know what they're getting for their money. They're letting their child go, so want to know they're safe. And surely simple curiosity in what they're doing would lead them to want to know?

Again, my parents trust me enough to know I'm safe and making the best decision for me. Even if that affects them financially - which I'd argue it shouldn't but that's for another thread.
Original post by SmallTownGirl
Again, my parents trust me enough to know I'm safe and making the best decision for me. Even if that affects them financially - which I'd argue it shouldn't but that's for another thread.

Well done. That's you, but it's patently obvious that many people do make completely ****ed up decisions and could clearly benefit from having other people involved in the decision making process.

Again, you're taking the extreme position that involving others = them making your decisions for you. That's clearly idiotic. What most sane and rational people are talking about is utilising the knowledge and experience of people who have been there and done that to help you make an educated decision. If you'd rather make a decision based on no background, then you're going to be wasting a lot of time in the future.
Original post by pane123
I do find it a bit weird when people in their 40s+ actively engage in discussion with people 25 years younger than them. If a 40 year old started a debate with a 15 year old in real life, I would find it very odd. However, I can see the benefits of having older members and they outweigh any negatives.

I also find it odd that someone would join this forum if they are not currently studying at uni, or have completed a degree. That's why you end up with so many idiots on this site trying to engage in debate with people far more intelligent than them. People know their place in the real word but these boundaries disappear online, meaning the beautician's opinion is worth the same as the doctor's.

Being close to 40 myself and about to go to University I don't find it weird at all, in fact I joined the forum when I first started looking with my eldest daughter at where she planned on going to university. Being the parent of a student going off to university is nerve wracking as well just in a different way to how it is for students leaving home for the first time. I have spent the last year studying with a broad age range of people, from 19 to 48 and it's fair to say we've all learnt from each other. There is a lot to be gained by everyone, no matter what age, by engaging in discussion with others.

I think it quite offensive that you seem to think that the opinions of a beautician are of a lesser value than those of a doctor. In their own respective fields they opinions would have a higher value than each other but I wouldn't want to take beauty advice.

Many beauticians are also successful business women often also running a home and raising a family. I also know a beautician who actually graduated with a 1st class Honours in Chemistry then changed her career completely and runs her own chain of salons. There are many times I would value the opinion of someone in their position over a Doctor no matter how intelligent they are.

For the most part your knowledge is relevant to your experience not the degree you gained. By the way I am not a beautician but I did leave school with over 20 years ago with DD in double science, went into a low paid retail job and then worked my way up to be a senior finance manager in a large company, a career I kind of fell into. I have just completed an Access Science course with 75 distinction credits something which has never been done before in the college. The difference was I had no idea what I wanted to do when I left school and no real interest in anything specific. University wasn't something that was encouraged where I grew up now it was more important to get a trade or a job. Some people are not doctors because of circumstance not how intelligent they are.

My biggest fear when I start Uni is that I will be judged because of my age. People can be extremely judgemental as your post shows.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RobertsClan
My biggest fear when I start Uni is that I will be judged because of my age. People can be extremely judgemental as your post shows.

Grow up. I think it's safe to say that in general, doctors are more intelligent than beauticians. Exceptions can be found everywhere, but most people don't need this pointed out.

I specified the ages I would find weird. You honestly don't think a 40 year old debating politics with a 15 year old would be a little strange?

You will struggle at uni if your best argument is stating the obvious, i.e. a beautician knows more about beauty than a doctor.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by just a dad
My understanding was that TSR was open to anyone connected to student life ... however I have been directly asked if I am "a paedo" for posting on this site.

Clearly I find this question distressing, however it made me wonder. Do you guys freak out at the thought of 'older' posters using TSR, regardless of their student connections? Should parents be banned? Should there be an age limit for TSR?

I would genuinely be interested in your thoughts.

Regards

just a dad

Please report people using the Report button Top right if they call you " peado", that's offensive and not wanted on TSR.

Some of the most useful people we have on the forum are the older members. Some of the mod team are much much older with kids of university age and they came onto the site to help their children.

There's even a section Called the Parent Room specifically for older people helping their children.

And i'm as of yesterday no longer a student and am now a Graduate but i'm not handing in my notice just yet.
No :nah:

You can attend university and start learning at any age, so I don't see why age should have any bearing on the right to people using this site. Hypothetically, how would it be implemented anyway...?

If anything, I think there should be a lower age limit on TSR...
No, on the grounds that
- you can go to uni at any age, so we wouldn't try and restrict access to info for mature students
- there's no way for us, as mods, to police this sort of thing - the scale of the site is just too great to be attempting passport scans or anything like that just for a new account.
- some of our mods are older - a couple are at retirement age
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
No. I'm not even a student and I post here :lol:

get a life
Original post by Rendezvous
get a life

Oh wow, that cut deep. :yawn:
Oh wow, that cut deep. :yawn:

probably delusioned by people telling you your lifestyle is ok, how fortunate am i!
Original post by pane123
Grow up. I think it's safe to say that in general, doctors are more intelligent than beauticians. Exceptions can be found everywhere, but most people don't need this pointed out.

I specified the ages I would find weird. You honestly don't think a 40 year old debating politics with a 15 year old would be a little strange?

You will struggle at uni if your best argument is stating the obvious, i.e. a beautician knows more about beauty than a doctor.

If you read my post properly I didn't just state the obvious. I'm sure I'll get along fine in Uni thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
probably delusioned by people telling you your lifestyle is ok, how fortunate am i!

That doesn't even make sense but okay.
That doesn't even make sense but okay.

your lifestyle doesnt make sense but ok
your lifestyle doesnt make sense but ok

What do you know about my lifestyle?
What do you know about my lifestyle?

that you're on tsr aren't in education thats sad bro
that you're on tsr aren't in education thats sad bro

Why is it "sad"? I joined when I was a student, I'm no longer a student, but I've made friends on here and still enjoy contributing to the discussions. What exactly is sad about it?
Why is it "sad"? I joined when I was a student, I'm no longer a student, but I've made friends on here and still enjoy contributing to the discussions. What exactly is sad about it?

It's sad because you're are still using a website that is not intended for people out of education. If you've made friends on here why don't you talk to them through other means?
everybody on tsr wants to do well academically. i dont think its right to put an age limit on tsr. it might be weird if an old person is talking to a younger person but if they are talking about maths or something i dont see the problem
It's sad because you're are still using a website that is not intended for people out of education. If you've made friends on here why don't you talk to them through other means?

Because I like the site? Seriously what's your problem? You've been here for what, 20 minutes and you're telling someone who's an established member that they shouldn't be here because you deem it so? :curious:
Because I like the site? Seriously what's your problem? You've been here for what, 20 minutes and you're telling someone who's an established member that they shouldn't be here because you deem it so? :curious:

What do you like about the site? i've been here for 20 minutes but i've been here just as long as you just without an account. What has you being an 'established' member got to do with anything?

Quick Reply

Latest