The Student Room Group

Got an interview for a job but didn't tell them I would be starting uni in September

I couldn't find many temp jobs and those that I did find haven't replied to me as yet. But I have just received a call from Next asking me to come in for an interview on Wednesday. This is for a permanent job, albeit only 10 hours a week. My plan is to just give them two weeks notice before I start uni. Would this hurt my future prospects at a job seeing as I lied about my future plans?
You could always say you've got a place in clearing if they ask you anything about it. But they probably won't.
Reply 2
Original post by NinetyOne
I couldn't find many temp jobs and those that I did find haven't replied to me as yet. But I have just received a call from Next asking me to come in for an interview on Wednesday. This is for a permanent job, albeit only 10 hours a week. My plan is to just give them two weeks notice before I start uni. Would this hurt my future prospects at a job seeing as I lied about my future plans?

I think it's a good idea you didn't tell them. Just work for them during summer full time and then 2 weeks before you start uni you can tell them and by then they would have gotten used to you working there so they might say you can work for us part time or you can expect the worse and they might say sorry we only wanted a full time employee and ask you to leave. It won't hurt your future prospects because you worked for them whilst you could it's a good idea good luck :biggrin:
Reply 3
Original post by Jerry
I think it's a good idea you didn't tell them. Just work for them during summer full time and then 2 weeks before you start uni you can tell them and by then they would have gotten used to you working there so they might say you can work for us part time or you can expect the worse and they might say sorry we only wanted a full time employee and ask you to leave. It won't hurt your future prospects because you worked for them whilst you could it's a good idea good luck :biggrin:

Yeah.. It's hard enough to find work as it is without being picky about jobs... I won't be able to work for them at all though seeing as I will be moving to a different city to study in - that is unless they would grant me a transfer to one of their other stores, but I doubt that.
Ask for a transfer to a store near your Uni
Just give your notice as say your plans have changed or that you didn't like the role. They don't need to know.
start work and then ask if you can transfer to your local store at uni and/or come back and work during the holidays
Reply 7
It doesn't matter dude, their not going to take legal action against you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply 8
Original post by Barry2011
It doesn't matter dude, their not going to take legal action against you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well of course not but it could hurt my chances if I wanted to apply for a job at the same company in the future.
Original post by NinetyOne

I've done that twice (McDonalds and Lidl) and knew from the beginning that I'd be starting a job in September but never mentioned any oft that. McDonalds was in 2011 before starting uni. I just never mentioned any of that and around 4 weeks before uni I told them that I'll be leaving. I found a really trusting friend at work and he told me how to go on about it without harming the company and without affecting my chances of good references. I just said that although this wasn't in plan, I was just offered a place at uni and I think that's the right way for me.

Second time at Lidl I did it between my second and 3rd year at uni. I told them I graduated and started work on the 30th July, so you're a little better off. I told them around 3 weeks before going back to uni that they offered me a Masters and are sponsoring me, so I am having to take that for a year and would then consider coming back to Lidl.

Basically, make sure not to leave it for too late if you want to get a good reference for future jobs. I that doesn't matter, just leave the day you wish to.
Reply 10
Original post by muffingg
I've done that twice (McDonalds and Lidl) and knew from the beginning that I'd be starting a job in September but never mentioned any oft that. McDonalds was in 2011 before starting uni. I just never mentioned any of that and around 4 weeks before uni I told them that I'll be leaving. I found a really trusting friend at work and he told me how to go on about it without harming the company and without affecting my chances of good references. I just said that although this wasn't in plan, I was just offered a place at uni and I think that's the right way for me.

Second time at Lidl I did it between my second and 3rd year at uni. I told them I graduated and started work on the 30th July, so you're a little better off. I told them around 3 weeks before going back to uni that they offered me a Masters and are sponsoring me, so I am having to take that for a year and would then consider coming back to Lidl.

Basically, make sure not to leave it for too late if you want to get a good reference for future jobs. I that doesn't matter, just leave the day you wish to.

Aye sounds about right.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending