The Student Room Group

My "white privilege"

DISCLAIMER: I am not saying that nobody has ever experienced "white privilege", rather that people do not necessarily experience "white privilege" simply because they are white, and that being white does not always elevate you above ethnic minorities in modern society. For this reason and the reasons that follow, I am sometimes bothered when people call me "privileged".

We've all heard how privileged we are for being white, and how much better our lives are because of this, so I thought I'd share some of my privileges with you guys to show how advantaged I really am, and how much power I have over my minority friends:

- I was born into a working class family in a small two-bedroom house in a working class suburb to parents struggling to pay their mortgage.

- I went to a mediocre public school and got relatively okay grades (but slightly lower than that of the East Asian and Indian students).

- I got into university on the minimum grades required and was funded entirely by the government for being poor.

- After working very hard, I graduated with slightly above average grades and went to an average grad school (that practices affirmative action) which I am currently paying my way through by undertaking teaching duties and additional part time work (interestingly, neither of my bosses are white)

- I have never been arrested or pulled over, but, then again, I don't drive, nor do I carry drugs, chill with the 'wrong' crowd, or get into fights with people.

This is why the term "white privilege" seems unfitting to me, at least on a personal level. It appears my life would have been no different whether I was coloured or white -- I had the same economic background as most ethnic minorities in my town, I had all the same educational opportunities, and I had no powers or recognisable advantages over my ethnic minority friends, classmates and colleagues. In fact, very few of the ethnic minority friends I had in school that I am still in contact with are any worse off than I am now. This holds true for a lot of people (there are in fact more white people in poverty in Canada and the UK than any other ethnic group). Am I missing something? Is there a cheque white people get in the mail that I wasn't delivered?

Feel free to share your privileges in a comment below, fellow white overlords.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It doesn't have to occur on an individual level for it to be true. What a stupid post :facepalm2:
Original post by Luminz
It doesn't have to occur on an individual level for it to be true. What a stupid post :facepalm2:

The premise of "white privilege" is that white individuals are inherently privileged beyond those in other ethnic groups. I demonstrated in my post that this is not necessarily true and that I, a white individual, do not exhibit much of the "privilege" and socio-economic superiority that pedlars of this concept claim. Most people who use the term "white privilege" wrongly apply it to all white individuals, regardless of their backgrounds -- this was the point I was making.
Obviously there's more white people in poverty, because there's a lot more of them in the first place, dumb dumb! However, the income poverty rate is lowest for white British at 20%.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You have white privilege
Original post by SharpenedPencils
Obviously there's more white people in poverty, because there's a lot more of them in the first place, dumb dumb! However, the income poverty rate is lowest for white British at 20%.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But they're still white, which supposedly makes them privileged oppressors in a position of power, remember? So why so many?
Reply 6
Original post by Dandaman1
The premise of "white privilege" is that white individuals are inherently privileged beyond those in other ethnic groups. I demonstrated in my post that this is not necessarily true and that I, a white individual, do not exhibit much of the "privilege" and socio-economic superiority that pedlars of this concept claim. Most people who use the term "white privilege" wrongly apply it to all white individuals, regardless of their backgrounds -- this was the point I was making.

Yeah, you've explained your post but I already got all that from it. My point still applies :sigh:
Reply 7
Original post by Dandaman1
We've all heard how privileged we are for being white, and how much better our lives are because of this, so I thought I'd share some of my privileges with you guys to so how advantaged I really am, and how much power I have over my minority friends:

- I was born into a working class family in a small two-bedroom house in a working class suburb to parents struggling to pay their mortgage.

- I went to a mediocre public school and got relatively okay grades (but slightly lower than that of the East Asian and Indian students).

- I got into university on the minimum grades required and was funded entirely by the government for being poor.

- After working very hard, I graduated with slightly above average grades and went to an average grad school (that practices affirmative action) which I am currently paying my way through by undertaking teaching duties and additional part time work (interestingly, neither of my bosses are white)

- I have never been arrested or pulled over, but, then again, I don't drive, nor do I carry drugs, chill with the 'wrong' crowd, or get into fights with people.

This is why the term "white privilege" seems unfitting to me, at least on a personal level. It appears my life would have been no different whether I was coloured or white -- I had the same economic background as most ethnic minorities in my town, I had all the same educational opportunities, and I had no powers or recognisable advantages over my ethnic minority friends, classmates and colleagues. In fact, very few of the ethnic minority friends I had in school that I am still in contact with are any worse off than I am now. This holds true for a lot of people (there are in fact more white people in poverty in Canada and the UK than any other ethnic group). Am I missing something? Is there a cheque white people get in the mail that I wasn't delivered?

Feel free to share your privileges in a comment below, fellow white overlords.

idk, you're unlikely to be rejected for a job for your skin colour. You also won't have to work twice as hard to keep your job over someone who is white.
Everyone can go through the things you've gone through regardless of race. But you'l never have to deal with the same level of racism minorities face. Being poor isn't exclusive to white families.

Thats what the 'white' privilege' thing is.

A minority person could go through all the same things as you AS WELL AS ****loads of racism and being beaten up or whatever.
(edited 9 years ago)
White working class, especially if you are poor living in a rich area, like myself, are forgotten and left to rot on a scrapheap unless you do something to break free and escape.

I think organisations might be slowly catching onto this and realising the above are just as disadvantaged as ethnic minorities (when it comes to opportunities) and will offer support soon. Let's hope.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by n64
idk, you're unlikely to be rejected for a job for your skin colour. You also won't have to work twice as hard to keep your job over someone who is white.

I live in Canada. Discrimination against non-whites by employers is closely monitored by government, and a lot of businesses operate 'positive discrimination' practices. In my university, jobs are allocated on a preferential basis to female and ethnic minority students, for example.
Original post by Luminz

If it doesn't occur for the entire group, it shouldn't be applied to the entire group.
Yeh, white privilege doesn't mean you're privileged in the way upper-middle class people are privileged. It doesn't mean that all white people do better than all black people. It simply refers to the privilege of rarely being judged based on your skin colour. No-one even thinks about your skin colour, because it's the normal colour.

(Obviously some 'reverse racism' does occur, but on a much lower scale).

That said, I do hate people using white privilege as a way to criticise white people (on an individual level), or to explain their problems.
(edited 9 years ago)
In the words of Paolo Nutini "I've got food in my belly and a license for my telly, ain't nothing gonna get me down".
Tbh if life was a game.

Being born into a white poor family would be second hardest difficulty.

Being born into an ethnic minority poor family would be maximum difficulty lol.
I think white privilege is more that as a white person you are less likely to experience racism on the same level as a minority may have to, you've effectively just compared lower classes to higher classes, I'd say you are privileged in a way
(edited 9 years ago)
I don't think you understand intersectionality.
Original post by PythianLegume
It simply refers to the privilege of rarely being judged based on your skin colour. No-one even thinks about your skin colour, because it's the normal colour.

The normal skin colour is whatever skin colour the majority of people within a particular group is. This isn't always white.

While it is true that most of the time a white persons skin colour comes into play, it's because they are "not not-white", people of all skin colours are judged based on their skin colour (as well as numerous other traits).

White privilege only really applies when amongst other white people. Skin colour privilege comes about when you share the skin colour with the individual you are interacting with, or the most common colour in the particular group.
Original post by Farm_Ecology
The normal skin colour is whatever skin colour the majority of people within a particular group is. This isn't always white.

While it is true that most of the time a white persons skin colour comes into play, it's because they are "not not-white", people of all skin colours are judged based on their skin colour (as well as numerous other traits).

White privilege only really applies when amongst other white people. Skin colour privilege comes about when you share the skin colour with the individual you are interacting with, or the most common colour in the particular group.

White privilege applies to this country.

If you're in Japan then it would be Japanese privilege
Original post by Farm_Ecology

It doesn't. I'd say you're right in general, but not always. Some authors do state that it is a worldwide thing. I'm unsure if I believe that, but I don't think it's only applies around other white people.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending