The Student Room Group

Really embarrssed myself at uni..dropped out now have to go back.Help!

Anon for obvious reasons..TSR is a small place..

Anyway Last year I missed my grades to get into my firm and was offered my insurance instead. Gutted I accepted it and was genuinely excited for uni. I would say I was naturally an out going person and really friendly. However I completely embarrassed myself and just worried that people still remember all the ****ty things that I did and said.I would go into detail about some of the stories but it wold become obvious who this is. For example, I had a toilet accident, got into a fight with some girl can't really remember what happened ,got into trouble with the warden etc . On top of that I was getting bullied by people in halls of residence. For some reason I didn't warm too people like I expected, in all fairness it was great to begin with but went down hill. After fresher's people just kind of turned on me.One girl in particular managed to turn people against me. Arrgh TSR I just don't know what to do. I know they will be in second year but I'm still feeling incredibly nervous about returning.
Hey! The most important question to ask yourself is whether you enjoy the course you are doing. Having a bad social life especially if you're young can make your uni experience horrid, now top that off with not enjoying your course!
If you are enjoying your course then you can get past this because at the end of the day that is what matters the most. When you finish university, everyone vanishes! These so called "friendships" mean nothing as everyone leaves to start a new chapter in their lives. You already got through the whole of first year so I'm sure you can handle going into second year. Perhaps you can do freshers again, get new accommodation and join clubs or societies to meet new friends.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Anon for obvious reasons..TSR is a small place..

Anyway Last year I missed my grades to get into my firm and was offered my insurance instead. Gutted I accepted it and was genuinely excited for uni. I would say I was naturally an out going person and really friendly. However I completely embarrassed myself and just worried that people still remember all the ****ty things that I did and said.I would go into detail about some of the stories but it wold become obvious who this is. For example, I had a toilet accident, got into a fight with some girl can't really remember what happened ,got into trouble with the warden etc . On top of that I was getting bullied by people in halls of residence. For some reason I didn't warm too people like I expected, in all fairness it was great to begin with but went down hill. After fresher's people just kind of turned on me.One girl in particular managed to turn people against me. Arrgh TSR I just don't know what to do. I know they will be in second year but I'm still feeling incredibly nervous about returning.

All you can do is hold your head high and start again.. The first few months were a nightmare for me tbh, I got kicked out of my first flat, had no real friends, girl problems, grades were slipping etc. etc. but I moved into a new flat after Xmas and everything fell into place, I also started chatting to a lot of different people on my course outside of the silly clique that I was in before and I now feel really positive now going into my second year.
It doesn't matter.

if anything this is a good thing , you will attract non judgemental, kind, tolerant people in your life instead of social climbers and narcissists.
There is only one way to improve your reputation.

Behave better. Learn this and things will be fine : don't and you'll have repeat performance.

Time's going on. It's very important you grow up , work hard and do well on your course. Especially this next year. Think - references for jobs, courses you apply for at the end of your third year, let alone vac schemes, will be based on your reputation this next year . Some one some where may well have logged your spat with the warden, add another event and you're in real trouble.

You need to distance yourself from the unfortunate happenings of the first year. And no, blaming others, saying you were bullied is just another way of not taking responsibility. You need some really good things to block out the bad.

Volunteer, take a post of responsibility in a club, get work experience. You'll need something good on your CV. Start mixing with the crowd who know where they're going , have goals in life , have plans. ( Cut down on the drinking, partying maybe.) You'll learn a lot.
Reply 5
Trust me, you couldn't have made a bigger dick out of yourself than I did.
I nearly got arrested for trying to fight one of my boyfriends flatmates etc etc.
I've just moved into my own flat. No more halls for me. I don't give a **** about anyone at uni. I've got no friends, I'm not there to make friends, I'm there to get a 1st class Business degree.
ef them

they do not own the university

don't be scared/ nervous if they still care/ remember all this stuff that says more about them than it does about you i.e. they do not have a life.

Go back with confidence

its your life not theres and if you decide to go back who are they to make you feel bad about a decision which you've made.

Yes, you embarased yourslef a bit in the past and you'll proably embarass yourself again but no one is perfect and we all do stuff we are ashamed of/ regret.

Life is too short you should be enjoying yourself not worrying about what people may or may not say

ef them. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending