The Student Room Group

Should there be an upper TSR age limit?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Drewski
Why?

The only reason an opinion would annoy me is if it proved I was wrong about something. And as much as it might annoy, in the grand scheme of things it would be necessary otherwise I'd be about do to something wrong.

Because it's not up to them. They aren't the ones doing it. If I didn't ask for it, don't give it.

My parents are fine, they generally stay out of my business
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
Because it's not up to them. They aren't the ones doing it. If I didn't ask for it, don't give it.

I think that's a pretty petty way of looking at things, really. An outside opinion on things can often help clarify matters considerably.
Original post by louieee
but a beautician's opinion is worth the same as a doctor's in the real world too. At least in my eyes, anyway

This

You don't have to like what I've said, but the reality is that it's just way the world works.
Original post by pane123
You don't have to like what I've said, but the reality is that it's just way the world works.

Not really, unless you hang around with arrogant *****
Original post by SmallTownGirl
Soz (not soz) for ignoring. Too busy knitting to care.

Well you're annoying aren't you
Original post by pane123

Except it isn't.

If it's outside of that person's particular area of expertise, then no one opinion is valued any higher than an other. The vote of the political activist is worth no more than the vote of the apathetic apolitical voter.
Original post by Drewski
Except it isn't.

If it's outside of that person's particular area of expertise, then no one opinion is valued any higher than an other. The vote of the political activist is worth no more than the vote of the apathetic apolitical voter.

I reckon Barack Obama's opinion on basketball might be valued more highly than mine
Original post by Drewski
Except it isn't.

This is true to an extent, but when something is outside the area of expertise of two people, the chances are the opinion of the more educated person will be more valuable. This value will increase as the difference in educational achievement widens.

Obviously there are exceptions to this rule, but life would be much too complicated if we didn't generalise.
Original post by manchesterunited15
I reckon Barack Obama's opinion on basketball might be valued more highly than mine

Listened to/heard by more isn't the same as valued by more, though.
Original post by Drewski
Listened to/heard by more isn't the same as valued by more, though.

I know, but it would be valued higher as well.

People in more respected positions in society will generally have their opinions respected more. Whether that's right or not is a different matter, but that's how it currently is.
I think it's the degree they do it as to whether it's good or bad. Info is fine but when they start giving opinions it annoys me

My perspective, which I offer for clarity. It is also offered in the context of a parent who has done the college / uni / first bedsit / first job / first redundancy etc. merry-go-round.

There are those, and I think STG is an example, who see the student-parent model in very black and white terms. The parents are either micro-managing and controlling, which I think we all agree is a bad thing, or have nothing of value to offer or say and are therefore of little or no worth in the decision making process. I think that STG has edited one of her earlier posts, but I think she used the phrase "get the heck out of my life" or somesuch. This 'nil value' approach to her parents seems to be her ideal, however I think it is very sad (in the context of a parent who has gone to college / uni etc.).

There are others, myself included, who believe that there are shades of grey in between these two extremes. And that some of these shades of grey demonstrate a helpful and respectful relationship between student and parent. Let me be clear; my children's choices are theirs and not mine, and they will stand or fall by them. However my relationship is such that I am comfortable in offering relevant thoughts and opinions, and they are comfortable in either accepting or rejecting those thoughts and opinions.

I do not believe that my relationship is in any way "controlling", nor do I see why it should be considered "annoying". However other opinions, as evidenced on this thread, are clearly available.
Original post by manchesterunited15
I know, but it would be valued higher as well.

People in more respected positions in society will generally have their opinions respected more. Whether that's right or not is a different matter, but that's how it currently is.

Yep, difficult to argue with that.
Original post by Drewski
I think that's a pretty petty way of looking at things, really. An outside opinion on things can often help clarify matters considerably.

I agree.

I wonder if being 'parents' as opposed to, say, friends, colleagues, tutors etc. is a key factor. There will inevitably an emotional loading with family that, perhaps, some people find hard to compartmentalise.

If someone in business had some ideas that might be useful to you, would you rather they "stay out of your business" because you didn't ask for their input? Regardless of how valuable those ideas might be?

Just trying to get a handle on where you are coming from here.
Original post by just a dad
I agree.

I wonder if being 'parents' as opposed to, say, friends, colleagues, tutors etc. is a key factor. There will inevitably an emotional loading with family that, perhaps, some people find hard to compartmentalise.

Nope. If anyone tried to tell me what to do with my life they wouldn't be in it any longer. This is MY life and I'll make MY OWN decisions.
Original post by NathanW18
Probably been said already, but anybody asking if you're paedophile is a moron. What pre-pubescent children would be posting on a student forum? Don't let any idiots make you feel uncomfortable posting here. Clearly you're helping people and are far more useful to the site than many of the users here. Especially those that question your motives.

There should be no age limit and anybody should be able to post here. There is far more to this site than just educational discussion. Lots of the sub forums have nothing to do with education. You don't have to be a student to be here. I finished my education 2 years ago and haven't left. I don't intend to any time soon.

Thank you. I appreciate your reply.
Original post by just a dad
If someone in business had some ideas that might be useful to you, would you rather they "stay out of your business" because you didn't ask for their input? Regardless of how valuable those ideas might be?

Just trying to get a handle on where you are coming from here.

If I didn't ask for them, I dunno, I'd be a bit like O.O

I think it's rude to offer advice when it's not wanted, unless the person is in danger.
Nope. If anyone tried to tell me what to do with my life they wouldn't be in it any longer. This is MY life and I'll make MY OWN decisions.

It's a shame that you are choosing to willfully misunderstand and misrepresent my posts. I do wonder what back-story has led you to such resentment towards others, but it would be wrong of me to pry.

Either way I genuinely hope that it works out for you.

So you'll never accept anybody's input on your actions?
Original post by Drewski
So you'll never accept anybody's input on your actions?

Unless they're my boss. No. My life. My choices.

Quick Reply

Latest