The Student Room Group

Should there be an upper TSR age limit?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
If I didn't ask for them, I dunno, I'd be a bit like O.O

I think it's rude to offer advice when it's not wanted, unless the person is in danger.

Really? Goodness, that's a bit of a stopper. So, and leaving physical danger aside, pretty much all unsolicited advice is abhorrent to you, regardless of how helpful it might be? Wow.
Original post by SmallTownGirl
Unless they're my boss. No. My life. My choices.

So a doctor says "change x about your life or you'll get diabetes" and you laugh them out of the room?

Sounds perfectly sensible, that... :rolleyes:

Cringe. It's as if you're trying so hard to prove you're an independant adult, that you just come off immature and petty.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by just a dad
Really? Goodness, that's a bit of a stopper. So, and leaving physical danger aside, pretty much all unsolicited advice is abhorrent to you, regardless of how helpful it might be? Wow.

Not abhorrent, but unless there's any real danger (not just physical) I find it a bit annoying. I dunno, like sometimes it's okay, but I don't really like people telling me what to do.

Just A Dad wasn't talking about anyone telling you what to do, he was talking about opinions and advice.

Are you telling us that you really never look for the advice or opinions of other people before making certain decisions?
Not abhorrent, but unless there's any real danger (not just physical) I find it a bit annoying. I dunno, like sometimes it's okay, but I don't really like people telling me what to do.

Offering advice =/= telling you what to do.

I don't understand why people are confusing the two.

I don't know whether it's deliberate or not on your part, but are you really saying that to you there's absolutely no difference between someone offering an opinion and someone ordering you to do something?

Someone offering you advice does not mean they are telling you what to do. Life would be very difficult without considering the advice and opinions of people who might know better.
Original post by pane123
Just A Dad wasn't talking about anyone telling you what to do, he was talking about opinions and advice.

Are you telling us that you really never look for the advice or opinions of other people before making certain decisions?

Exactly.

I'm really quite staggered by some of the replies on here.
There's 4 males saying advice is good, and 2 females saying it's bad and they don't want it. I feel like that tells us something.
Offering advice =/= telling you what to do.

I don't understand why people are confusing the two.

I guess it depends how it's done
My understanding was that TSR was open to anyone connected to student life ... however I have been directly asked if I am "a paedo" for posting on this site.

lol'd. I feel bad for you. Would probably help if there were more post-grad or over X age forums, perhaps.

Just be glad that it's only online and not in the real world. The accusation, alone, in real life, would be more than enough to get the ball rolling for you to lose your job, children, etc.

I completely forgot this forum was all ages recently and made a joke about dropping my nuts into somebody's dessert.
(edited 9 years ago)
Exactly.

I'm really quite staggered by some of the replies on here.

I am, too. I do not understand how people can see an opinion and a command as the same thing - it's almost confusing!
Original post by C-Rooney
To be honest, I would take the advice from someone who is a lot older with greater life experience and knowledge over egotistical students my age, any day of the week.
Like many have said, "student" isn't a term for those who are between 17-25. Young students are far more impetuous than those who are much older.

Again, thank you. Although it's interesting that your views are far from universal.
Original post by manchesterunited15
There's 4 males saying advice is good, and 2 females saying it's bad and they don't want it. I feel like that tells us something.

PRSOM

What? Men and women look at advice differently?

That's terrible ... however I am embarrassed to say that I did laugh out at that.

I will now give myself a damn good ticking off!

Yes, men look at it as a helpful way to come to the best conclusion, while women see it as a threat to their independence. But I'm just speculating.

The irony is the stereotype is normally the polar opposite. Everybody knows the asking for directions stereotype...

Genuine question and honestly don't mean to offend, but out of curiousity, does your opinion on the advice vary depending on whether it's being offered by a man or woman?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by yo radical one
To be fair, tenofthem (who if I am not mistaken is a mathematics teacher) is probably one of the most helpful members here, and by her own admission, is older than most of us.

tenofthem is a cougar :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest