The Student Room Group

Should there be an upper TSR age limit?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
I guess it depends how it's done

Going back to the student-parent dynamic, this is a non-issue if the relationship is healthy.
Original post by Drewski
The irony is the stereotype is normally the polar opposite. Everybody knows the asking for directions stereotype...

I don't :s-smilie:
Original post by manchesterunited15
Yes, men look at it as a helpful way to come to the best conclusion, while women see it as a threat to their independence. But I'm just speculating.

Interesting...
Original post by the bear
tenofthem is a cougar :wink:

I'm sure she is

:smile:
Original post by just a dad
Going back to the student-parent dynamic, this is a non-issue if the relationship is healthy.

Maybe. I think it really depends.

Men are too proud to ask for directions.

That, when driving and lost, a man will never pull over for directions, while a woman would be only too happy to do so.

And, you might have missed my edit:

Genuine question and honestly don't mean to offend, but out of curiousity, does your opinion on the advice vary depending on whether it's being offered by a man or woman?
Original post by Tabris
lol'd. I feel bad for you. Would probably help if there were more post-grad or over X age forums, perhaps.

Just be glad that it's only online and not in the real world. The accusation, alone, in real life, would be more than enough to get the ball rolling for you to lose your job, children, etc.

I completely forgot this forum was all ages recently and made a joke about dropping my nuts into somebody's dessert.

Cheers.

Maybe I should have asked about a lower age limit as well :biggrin:
Exactly.

I'm really quite staggered by some of the replies on here.

It's a standard response when kids are backed into a corner. Later, they will look back and cringe.
Original post by the bear
tenofthem is a cougar :wink:

:cry2:
Original post by pane123
Men are too proud to ask for directions.

Original post by Drewski
That, when driving and lost, a man will never pull over for directions, while a woman would be only too happy to do so.

And, you might have missed my edit:

Genuine question and honestly don't mean to offend, but out of curiousity, does your opinion on the advice vary depending on whether it's being offered by a man or woman?

Yeah didn't see your edit. No, my opinion doesn't change whether the gender of the advice giver does. I just prefer to do things my own way.
Maybe. I think it really depends.

If the relationship is healthy then I would argue there is no "maybe" about it. Thoughts and opinions are offered in good spirit, and are accepted or rejected in the same spirit.

Now, if the relationship is not healthy then I do see where there might be difficulties.
Original post by carnationlilyrose
It's a standard response when kids are backed into a corner. Later, they will look back and cringe.

Thanks, it's been a bit of an eye-opener.
Yeah didn't see your edit. No, my opinion doesn't change whether the gender of the advice giver does. I just prefer to do things my own way.

But that's simply not true. You might think it is, but it's not really. You base your fashion sense on things that people have done, you look to them for inspiration and then copy, albeit with adaptations. With your make up business you'll have researched and seen what other people do and learnt to do it yourself based on what's available to you.

Whether consciously or not, you do look to others for validation, advice, information. Nobody truly goes solo.
If the relationship is healthy then I would argue there is no "maybe" about it. Thoughts and opinions are offered in good spirit, and are accepted or rejected in the same spirit.

Now, if the relationship is not healthy then I do see where there might be difficulties.

What are you defining as a healthy and unhealthy relationship? I used to have a conflicted relationship with my dad when I was younger, and I'd just flat out ignore any advice he gave me because he was very authoritarian and in my opinion rude about it. I guess you could argue we didn't have a "healthy" relationship?
Original post by Drewski
But that's simply not true. You might think it is, but it's not really. You base your fashion sense on things that people have done, you look to them for inspiration and then copy, albeit with adaptations. With your make up business you'll have researched and seen what other people do and learnt to do it yourself based on what's available to you.

Whether consciously or not, you do look to others for validation, advice, information. Nobody truly goes solo.

There's a difference between me seeking advice and people giving it to me unsolicited though
There's a difference between me seeking advice and people giving it to me unsolicited though

The only difference is in your reaction.
Maybe I should have asked about a lower age limit as well :biggrin:

Ha, tell me about it. I didn't realise until I saw the profile of somebody who quoted me after making that joke and then it all came back to me.

Original post by carnationlilyrose
Later, they will look back and cringe.

This happens to me whenever I look at my post history, especially from when I was a teenager. I try to live in ignorant bliss nowadays, because I know I'm going to look back on posts made now in a couple of years and would react the same if I didn't.
What are you defining as a healthy and unhealthy relationship? I used to have a conflicted relationship with my dad when I was younger, and I'd just flat out ignore any advice he gave me because he was very authoritarian and in my opinion rude about it. I guess you could argue we didn't have a "healthy" relationship?

I should preface any answer by saying that I don't know you or your father, so please accept that huge caveat. Please do not take any offence.

Yes, it is possible that your relationship with your father was in some respect damaged. And that this will, in some way, have affected your outlook on receiving advice.
Original post by Drewski
The only difference is in your reaction.

No. If I choose to go out and find something that's fine, whereas someone pushing their opinions on me is annoying.
No. If I choose to go out and find something that's fine, whereas someone pushing their opinions on me is annoying.

Giving good advice =/= pushing their opinions on you.

However it is at this point where I accept that we are going around in circles.

Quick Reply

Latest