The Student Room Group

OMG not another Rippetoes blog!

Scroll to see replies

Deadlift deadlift still!
Bad session tonight. Back felt bad, and in fact almost nothing felt not bad.

Front squats:

100 x 1

All I could be arsed to do.

Press:

60 x 6/6/6

Not hard, but not in the mood.

Then home.
Original post by Smack
Forgot to update last workout, so here is Part Ten:

(This was done on Wednesday, by the way.)

Squats: 122.5KGx5x3 - felt really hard on all the reps, last two reps on last set didn't feel parallel even. Whether this was because I was up until 2am last nite at the union or because I'm getting a bit more advanced, I don't know. I think I might stall on this lift soon, though...

Bench press: 65KGx5x3 - OK. Not excruiciatingly hard, but not piss easy either. Should still last a while before stalling on this one.

Deadlifts: 135KGx5x1 - Easier than I thought. But this time, rather than lifting dead off the floor, I lifted off of a weight plate. So 2 inches higher. Does this make a difference?

Hi, I have realised that I have reached more or less exactly the same point as you did here. Squat 122.5kg 3x5, Bench 65kg 3x5, Deadlift 127.5kg 3x5 130kg 1x4.

Got to admit, I am finding the programme really tough now. I lifted the squat 122.5kg 3x5 fine the other day but today I just could not manage it. I struggled to get 3 reps on the first set. I was just fatigued. I have upped calories to 500 cals above maintenance but today just felt staggered even though I progressed on my D.L. and OHP.

Should I wait a little bit before going onto Madcows? What would be the best way to progress?
Original post by Smack
Forgot to update last workout, so here is Part Ten:

(This was done on Wednesday, by the way.)

Squats: 122.5KGx5x3 - felt really hard on all the reps, last two reps on last set didn't feel parallel even. Whether this was because I was up until 2am last nite at the union or because I'm getting a bit more advanced, I don't know. I think I might stall on this lift soon, though...

Bench press: 65KGx5x3 - OK. Not excruiciatingly hard, but not piss easy either. Should still last a while before stalling on this one.

Deadlifts: 135KGx5x1 - Easier than I thought. But this time, rather than lifting dead off the floor, I lifted off of a weight plate. So 2 inches higher. Does this make a difference?

Hi, I have realised that I have reached more or less exactly the same point as you did here on 06-12-2008.

Squat 122.5kg 3x5, Bench 65kg 3x5, Deadlift 127.5kg 1x5 130kg 1x4.

Got to admit, I am finding the programme really tough now. I lifted the squat 122.5kg 3x5 fine the other day but today I just could not manage it. I struggled to get 3 reps on the first set. I was just fatigued. I have upped calories to 500 cals above maintenance but today just felt staggered even though I progressed on my D.L. and OHP.

Should I wait a little bit before going onto Madcows? What would be the best way to progress?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by C.Almasy
Hi, I have realised that I have reached more or less exactly the same point as you did here. Squat 122.5kg 3x5, Bench 65kg 3x5, Deadlift 127.5kg 3x5 130kg 1x4.

Why are you doing three sets of five on the deadlift?
Original post by Smack
Why are you doing three sets of five on the deadlift?

Oops typo. It's one set of five.
Oops typo. It's one set of five.

Okay.

Have you stalled yet?

And I also don't think that 500 calories above maintenance is enough.
Original post by Smack
Okay.

Have you stalled yet?

And I also don't think that 500 calories above maintenance is enough.

Yes, I have stalled twice on squat before. Once on bench. Once on deadlift. How much should I be eating? And, how much fat will I gain by doing so? I weigh 163 pounds at the moment. 5ft10.
Yes, I have stalled twice on squat before. Once on bench. Once on deadlift.

Okay. Why have you only just upped to 500 calories above maintenance?
Original post by Smack
Okay. Why have you only just upped to 500 calories above maintenance?

Sorry, read edit. I don't want to gain too much fat.
Sorry, read edit. I don't want to gain too much fat.

I think you need to eat more food. At your height and weight you must look pretty skinny, or at least the complete opposite of fat.
Original post by Smack
I think you need to eat more food. At your height and weight you must look pretty skinny, or at least the complete opposite of fat.

I'm not fat at all. I just would not want to become fat. How much more food should I eat? How many cals above maintenance?
I'm not fat at all. I just would not want to become fat. How much more food should I eat? How many cals above maintenance?

Just eat as much as you can before you visibly become fat.
Planning to start this soon and i was wondering if u could give me a bit of advice.

Does this routine add quite a bit of body fat?

Also, since the smallest increase i can make is 5kg on the bar, will it be hard to progress?
Reply 1574

i recommend 200-500 calories max above your maintenance calories (don't go above this), and keep it up for about a month be very careful and monitor yourself in the mirror like Smack said. 500 may not sound a lot (it is) but you will gain some fat and a little muscle pretty fast.

At first I went with the approach of eating whatever and lifting and I did get stronger but I got fat pretty fast, i kept it up for about 5 months though now i'm cutting but im never doing that again, monitor your calories(get the myfitnesspal app and just log in food its easy to use and does the work for you).
Original post by a10
i recommend 200-500 calories max above your maintenance calories (don't go above this), and keep it up for about a month be very careful and monitor yourself in the mirror like Smack said. 500 may not sound a lot (it is) but you will gain some fat and a little muscle pretty fast.

At first I went with the approach of eating whatever and lifting and I did get stronger but I got fat pretty fast, i kept it up for about 5 months though now i'm cutting but im never doing that again, monitor your calories(get the myfitnesspal app and just log in food its easy to use and does the work for you).

Thanks, I am using myplate on the livestrong website to track my calories. It's easy to keep a track of things with it.

500 calories is enough I think, I have just started eating this much 2 days ago. Overall though, I am just not really enjoying Rippetoes anymore (it's been 5 and a half months of continuously doing the same thing over and over). I am thinking of switching to another routine.
Reply 1576
Thanks, I am using myplate on the livestrong website to track my calories. It's easy to keep a track of things with it.

500 calories is enough I think, I have just started eating this much 2 days ago. Overall though, I am just not really enjoying Rippetoes anymore (it's been 5 and a half months of continuously doing the same thing over and over). I am thinking of switching to another routine.

perhaps look into variations of the same workout, I always swap my exercise routines after a while to keep it fresh(because as you say doing the same thing over and over gets dry after a while).
Original post by TheLionHearted
Does this routine add quite a bit of body fat?

It's the food you eat that may or may not cause you to gain fat. Exercising such as weightlifting burns calories which actually helps you lose fat.

Also, since the smallest increase i can make is 5kg on the bar, will it be hard to progress?

Yes, especially for the overhead press, and maybe the bench press too.

I would suggest looking at purchasing your own smaller plates for progression on the programme.
Original post by a10
perhaps look into variations of the same workout, I always swap my exercise routines after a while to keep it fresh(because as you say doing the same thing over and over gets dry after a while).

I am basically heavily considering Madcows. I like the fact that on deadlift day you have a lighter squat day.
i do 10 handstands, 5 cartwheels, 35 punches, 15 skips everyday

Quick Reply

Latest