The Student Room Group

How much money will you have at your disposal?

Scroll to see replies

3100 from student loan. None from parents. I'm living at home.
Original post by donutaud15
Probably about 1400 pm if I get this certain job. Otherwise about 300 pm

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's a huge difference. Must be full time job.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by donutaud15
Is your husband earning a fairly high amount? Because if so, I don't know how you're getting 11k.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is being calculated off financial year 2012-2013 in which i worked to support to my husband, who earned £3940 total in that tax year (employed april-september) as he was studying at uni, which left him no taxable income. I get a special support grant, and an Adult Dependant Grant as he is technically a dependant. If you would like a complete breakdown I'm happy to provide one.
Original post by Hitashami
That's a huge difference. Must be full time job.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's basically the salary after tax (yes it's full time) so it's a fair bit. Actually the figure was wrong, it would be about 1700 as the 300 now is from my husband's wage.

Original post by Pippa1992
It is being calculated off financial year 2012-2013 in which i worked to support to my husband, who earned £3940 total in that tax year (employed april-september) as he was studying at uni, which left him no taxable income. I get a special support grant, and an Adult Dependant Grant as he is technically a dependant. If you would like a complete breakdown I'm happy to provide one.

Nah not bothered about the complete breakdown. I just found it a bit unusual as when my husband and me were both students we got about 6k each (loan, grant and bursary) in Swansea. My last SF was 9k but that's London SF and he didn't count as adult dependant as he's working. Your circumstances probably won't apply to a lot of students though.
Nah not bothered about the complete breakdown. I just found it a bit unusual as when my husband and me were both students we got about 6k each (loan, grant and bursary) in Swansea. My last SF was 9k but that's London SF and he didn't count as adult dependant as he's working. Your circumstances probably won't apply to a lot of students though.

We couldn't afford to both study at the same time, so now he has finished it is my turn thank god! (no employment yet… he is still waiting to be registered with the HPC. We did look into both being at uni at the same time, but we wouldn't have been able to survive on the money. We can't live at home with our parents, and claiming benefits to supplement didn't seem viable (or at all possible…) so this solution works best, frankly i was expecting around £6k a year, however as the majority of the total i will get is grants, i am not saying no to the financial stability.
I've got 3k of my own money (not from parents) and the minimum amount from all the loans/grants you're allowed.
-£1600 (overdraft)
And
-£500 on a credit card.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just wanna compare, this seems like the right category. Anyways, I'll be getting 3200 from loan and 2000 from parents. Hbu?

6500k from loan and grant
1k from bursary

Rent is 2200 from Oct to June.

I'm going to try limit my outgoings to 200 per month so that adds to 4k.

I want to be out of my 500 overdraft.

In theory I shall be leaving with savings but it depend how much I restrain myself.
£750 savings
£4198 Maintenance Loan
£3387 Grant.
Original post by Rakas21
6500k from loan and grant
1k from bursary

Rent is 2200 from Oct to June.

I'm going to try limit my outgoings to 200 per month so that adds to 4k.

I want to be out of my 500 overdraft.

In theory I shall be leaving with savings but it depend how much I restrain myself.

How'd you find out about bursary?
How'd you find out about bursary?

Automatic if you get the grant.
the beauties of coming from a poor family :biggrin:
£7249 from loan and grant.
If i get my firm then 3k university "poor people's bursary" (I call it that, it has a name) if insurance, then 2.5k
accomodation payments aside it works out to between £60 (firm catered) or £100 (insurance, uncatered) either with en suite :biggrin:
good times...
Original post by tearteto
the beauties of coming from a poor family :biggrin:
£7249 from loan and grant.
If i get my firm then 3k university "poor people's bursary" (I call it that, it has a name) if insurance, then 2.5k
accomodation payments aside it works out to between £60 (firm catered) or £100 (insurance, uncatered) either with en suite :biggrin:
good times...

And you deserve it.
About £10k ready to go from savings
5500 from student loan. None from parents, should have 4000 saved up at the end of summer from working.
Original post by shahbaz
And you deserve it.

I'd like to think so, but still getting a part time job.
Original post by Zürich
About £10k ready to go from savings

Are you a mature student?
Original post by shahbaz
Are you a mature student?

I'm 22, did a few very well paid internships while at Uni
Original post by tearteto
I'd like to think so, but still getting a part time job.

If you get a job in the union take it, but it can be difficult when your just settling in.
Original post by Zürich
I'm 22, did a few very well paid internships while at Uni

Nice, Im guessing the internships were in finance.

Quick Reply

Latest