The Student Room Group

Graduating with a 2.2 in Civil Engineering, What career options do I have?

I just graduated a few days ago with a 2.2 in BEng Civil Engineering from The University of Nottingham missing a 2.1 only by 1.4% due to extenuating circumstances that I had in my second year, which really brought my average down.

Now, my question is, what are my options for life? What are my chances of applying for a 2.2 or unspecified minimum degree requirements? Would employers still prefer 2.1 and first students over me for those jobs? I've done a lot of extra curriculars throughout my university and life and have also had relevant work experience (though in South Asia).

My preferred fields are renewable energy, transport engineering, railway engineering, or surveying.

Does anyone know any experiences of similar cases? How should I go on about this?
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

2:2 in engineering is fine. You might not get into graduate jobs at top/big eng firms, but loads of small based eng firms would take you on no problem. Also you don't necessarily need to apply for a graduate entry eng job, there are plenty of engineering jobs out there. Have a look, start applying start emailing for info to firms asking if 2:2 would be a hindrance.

What work experience do you have, the more the better. In fact with enough that 2:2 will be meaningless.
Reply 2
Original post by Last Day Lepers
2:2 in engineering is fine. You might not get into graduate jobs at top/big eng firms, but loads of small based eng firms would take you on no problem. Also you don't necessarily need to apply for a graduate entry eng job, there are plenty of engineering jobs out there. Have a look, start applying start emailing for info to firms asking if 2:2 would be a hindrance.

What work experience do you have, the more the better. In fact with enough that 2:2 will be meaningless.

Thanks. That's really comforting. I just really hope that's how it is in reality. I've got some experience working in GIS, Aerial Mapping and Ground Surveying.
Reply 3

Great advice. In Engineering it's fine,,

Get some work experience..
If you apply for internships then the companies might offer you a permanent position afterwards. That 2.2 shouldn't matter if you're good at what you do.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by muffingg
I just graduated a few days ago with a 2.2 in Civil Engineering from The University of Nottingham missing a 2.1 only by 1.4% due to extenuating circumstances that I had in my second year, which really brought my average down.

Now, my question is, what are my options for life? What are my chances of applying for a 2.2 or unspecified minimum degree requirements? Would employers still prefer 2.1 and first students over me for those jobs? I've done a lot of extra curriculars throughout my university and life and have also had relevant work experience (though in South Asia).

My preferred fields are renewable energy, transport engineering, railway engineering, or surveying.

Does anyone know any experiences of similar cases? How should I go on about this?

is this in your BEng or MEng?

you still have loads of options just apply for jobs abroad or here, as Lepers said a 2.2 in engineering isn't bad they are a lot of companies that recruit people with 2.2's in their engineering degrees (including Siemens, Jaguar etc. just to name a few).
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by a10

you still have loads of options just apply for jobs abroad or here, as Lepers said a 2.2 in engineering isn't bad they are a lot of companies that recruit people with 2.2's in their engineering degrees (including Siemens, Jaguar etc. just to name a few).

Why is it so relaxed in engineering?
Original post by fat_hobbit

Partly because believe it or not it's a f'ing hard degree (all disciplines) hence a 2:2 isn't all that bad, partly because there's hardly any engineers hence employers can't be picky and partly because exams in engineering don't really test your applied ability, it only really tests the theory part. The theory is of course important but some people perform far better when actually applying their learned knowledge to projects than they do explaining it on a piece of paper.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8

Probably because employers know that you would have gained a lot of applicable skills from the degree which if combined with a little work training will be very useful to industry. It's rigorous.

Let's just say when I asked my cousin how hard his mech eng course was, he started laughing then proceeded to cry. I'm assuming its not easy.
Reply 10
Original post by a10

It's BEng and if it matters, I just missed a 2:1 by 1.4%. And regarding the abroad thing, I'm originally from Germany but living in London now, so would that be helpful in finding work in a German speaking country? I honestly would prefer that over the UK.

Have any advice on how to apply abroad? Should I go straight to companies' websites or is there a website for finding jobs abroad? I might sound less knowledgeable in this regard, but any help would be highly appreciated!
(edited 9 years ago)
I wouldn't be so positive as everyone else, for engineering a 2:2 often means being in the bottom 10% of your class, so you'd need to have had quite a lot of work experience and extracurriculars to make up for that.

However now seeing that you only did a BEng you could do an MSc to try and make up for the 2:2.
(edited 9 years ago)
It's BEng and if it matters, I just missed a 2:1 by 1.4%. And regarding the abroad thing, I'm originally from Germany but living in London now, so would that be helpful in finding work in a German speaking country? I honestly would prefer that over the UK.

Have any advice on how to apply abroad? Should I go straight to companies' websites or is there a website for finding jobs abroad? I might sound less knowledgeable in this regard, but any help would be highly appreciated!

You won't have a problem applying for a job at all, I was looking into the German job market, the salaries are just bad. The main thing is you speak the language, there are some great grad schemes there though. From Telephone and Skype interviews all they cared about was practical application, rather then academic ability.
Reply 13
Original post by Helloworld_95
I wouldn't be so positive as everyone else, for engineering a 2:2 often means being in the bottom 10% of your class, so you'd need to have had quite a lot of work experience and extracurriculars to make up for that.

However now seeing that you only did a BEng you could do an MSc to try and make up for the 2:2.

Good to know another opinion on this as well. I don't think many would beat me on extra curriculars but I'm not fully sure on how much employers value it. In terms of work experience, I've got a 2 month internship that I did in South Asia in Mapping and Surveying.

Regarding the Masters, I'd love to, but the problem is the financing of the degree. Also a lot of employers don't think that a Masters would 'cancel' out the undergrad degree from what I've read and heard from career advisers.
Original post by Helloworld_95
I wouldn't be so positive as everyone else, for engineering a 2:2 often means being in the bottom 10% of your class, so you'd need to have had quite a lot of work experience and extracurriculars to make up for that

Bottom 10%, is that an official figure?

Why shouldn't we be positive. OP probably already feels disheartened by his grade, of course getting a higher grade would make things a lot easier but luckily in engineering a 2:2 isn't all that bad for the reasons stated earlier. My mate graduated last year with a 2:2 in mech eng and now has a graduate entry job with a eng firm in the midlands.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 15

You would be at an advantage as I would imagine you can speak German at a good level right? Also the pay abroad is better than it is here lol just depends where you fancy yourself being tbh.

You can use these as a starting point:

http://targetjobs.co.uk/career-sectors/engineering

http://www.gradcracker.com/

http://www.euroengineerjobs.com/jobs/germany
Reply 16
Original post by a10
You would be at an advantage as I would imagine you can speak German at a good level right? Also the pay abroad is better than it is here lol just depends where you fancy yourself being tbh.

You can use these as a starting point:

http://targetjobs.co.uk/career-sectors/engineering

http://www.gradcracker.com/

http://www.euroengineerjobs.com/jobs/germany

Thanks a lot. Really appreciate this. Will look into the links.

I'm not sure this is right. Most engineering firms require 2:1 these days. And on top of that quite a few require masters. There are some that accept 2:2s though and yes what's you've got the job, won't matter really your degree classification.

Undertaking a masters might be an advantage here OP.

Are these companies in South Asia international companies that operate in the UK? Because it's always a good bet asking companies for jobs that you have already done work experience for.

Going abroad to work for a bit might help, there's more engineering jobs outside of UK, and having got a good degree at a good uni would be attractive. Once you've done a bit of work and got the experience, then you could easily come back to the UK. Maybe work in South Asia for the companies you've done work experience for?

I've also heard unis bump up degree classifications if you're only a bit out? Have you talked to the uni about it?

Go back to Germany bud. You'll surely find way more opportunities there than here. Atleast you can blag your way into finance if German employers aren't aware of the degree classification system here. Just the word 'Engineering' carries significant kudos around Europe.
Original post by KrazyKoala
I'm not sure this is right. Most engineering firms require 2:1 these days. And on top of that quite a few require masters. There are some that accept 2:2s though and yes what's you've got the job, won't matter really your degree classification.

Undertaking a masters might be an advantage here OP.

Are these companies in South Asia international companies that operate in the UK? Because it's always a good bet asking companies for jobs that you have already done work experience for.

Going abroad to work for a bit might help, there's more engineering jobs outside of UK, and having got a good degree at a good uni would be attractive. Once you've done a bit of work and got the experience, then you could easily come back to the UK. Maybe work in South Asia for the companies you've done work experience for?

I've also heard unis bump up degree classifications if you're only a bit out? Have you talked to the uni about it?

What's not right? Most big firms require a 2:1 but there are plenty of smaller firms that don't, hence my mate got a job. The MEng is again a de facto for many of the bigger firms but it depends on the job. Pretty sure I saw edf energy advertising for beng, some jobs actually prefer beng grads, especially for more technical hands on jobs where they send you for further tech training.

I would even go as far to say that should someone with a 2:2 have the relevant work experience, if they apply to a job that requires a 2:1 there is a large possibility the 2:2 will be overlooked due to experience in a similar position and perhaps a good reference.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest