The Student Room Group

What kind of essay writer are you?

Poll

What kind of essay writer are you?

I did some research on what type of essay writers there are and I thought it would be interesting to see which ones people are because I'm weird and having nothing else to do with my summer :h: there are also some questions!

Swoopers
Swoopers write “higgledy piggledy” and write a first draft as quickly as possible, and then go back and “painstakingly” fix everything that’s wrong.

Bashers
Bashers, on the other hand, write very slowly and work on each sentence until it’s perfect. “And when they’re done, they’re done.”

Architects
Architects plan every little detail of the essay before they actually write it, they know how many paragraphs there will be and what will go into each paragraph.

Gardeners
They have a very basic idea of how their essay will be written, but no highly detailed plan, unlike the Architect. They start their essay on one point and see which direction their writing takes them, constantly developing their essay as they write.

You might be a combination of a few types or have no type at all. Either way I'd like to hear your opinion!

Is there a type you'd rather be?
Which do you think is the most effective for writing an essay?
What is your friend's type?
Does your type change?

Thank you :h:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zowidi
I did some research on what type of essay writers there are and I thought it would be interesting to see which ones people are because I'm weird and having nothing else to do with my summer :h: there are also some questions!

Swoopers
Swoopers write “higgledy piggledy” and write a first draft as quickly as possible, and then go back and “painstakingly” fix everything that’s wrong.

Bashers
Bashers, on the other hand, write very slowly and work on each sentence until it’s perfect. “And when they’re done, they’re done.”

Architects
Architects plan every little detail of the essay before they actually write it, they know how many paragraphs there will be and what will go into each paragraph.

Gardeners
They have a very basic idea of how their essay will be written, but no highly detailed plan, unlike the Architect. They start their essay on one point and see which direction their writing takes them, constantly developing their essay as they write.

You might be a combination of a few types or have no type at all. Either way I'd like to hear your opinion!

Does your type change?

I would say I am a combo of the swooper and gardener.... I have a rough idea for an essay, which I then draft and redraft until it's perfect.
I think the most effective is probably the architect
My friends are probably gardeners
Nope, I stick to the same type as it works for me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Zowidi

Swoopers

Bashers

Architects

Gardeners

Does your type change?

Oohhh interesting topic

I am definitely a gardener. I write plans but never stick to them, I will plan what I say roughly, however my inspiration for essays usually come while I'm writing them. So I'll write something and think "oohh I could like that to this" and write a paragraph on that.

However for English I would say I am a bit of an architect. Especially when you're writing an essay about a book, it's very hard to remember everything you need to include. In this case I plan every paragraph from the points I will make to the quotes I will use.

I think the best method is a combination or architect and basher imo
Reply 3
Original post by WriterOfWrongs
I would say I am a combo of the swooper and gardener.... I have a rough idea for an essay, which I then draft and redraft until it's perfect.
I think the most effective is probably the architect
My friends are probably gardeners
Nope, I stick to the same type as it works for me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wish I was a swooper, I'm a basher so I always leave my essays until the last minute because I know once it's done, it's done! Which is obviously super stressful :cry:
Reply 4
I used to be a swooper, but have now changed to a gardener style. I like to have a general idea about what I'll be writing about, but once I start doing my research my essay will take a number of turns.

I'm not sure what's the best type.. I guess it depends on what a person feels comfortable with.
Suarez type

When I am working on my essay I put a lot of bite into it
(edited 9 years ago)
Somewhere between architect and gardener.
Original post by Zowidi

Swoopers

Bashers

Architects

Gardeners

Does your type change?

I'm a an occasional architect but a frequent gardener. I like being a bit of the two and I don't think one is better than another though I'd imagine being a basher and swooper would be awfully time consuming if you had to write an essay in time conditions which is what I'm basing this on since I do only essay based subjects. And that's all about being able to write an essay and a plan in like 35 mins to a good standard.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
I'm a combination of the gardener and the architect. I start off with a plan, but as the essay goes along I change and add things.
Reply 9
Original post by LostGear
Suarez type

When I am working on my essay I put a lot of bite into it

:giggle:
Reply 10
Original post by gleestuck
I'm a combination of the gardener and the architect. I start off with a plan, but as the essay goes along I change and add things.

That's exactly like me :five:
Architect/Basher - I'll have everything planned out, what I'm going to cover and find appropriate papers, but then work one chapter at a time and have one chapter finished before I start the next.
Architect/Gardener- I write a really detailed plan on what I want to write, however there is room for flexibility depending on how I word things. I occasionally add several paragraphs to my plan whilst writing it. (I'm an A level student actually- so I don't write really long essays yet)
(edited 9 years ago)
A mixture of swooper/gardener I think

Posted from TSR Mobile
Definitely gardener!
Definitely a gardener and it seems to be working quite well for me as I generally get very good marks in essays.
Mix of swooper and gardener, I'll write my draft starting with a basic plan but letting it flow naturally, then I go back through developing points where necessary till I'm happy with it's quality.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am a 'Nick Clegg'.

I have no idea, no hope, no plan, and most of what I say is utter BS.
I tend to just wait until 1 in the morning and see what happens :smile:
I feel like its "gardener or architect" and "swooper or basher" is that how its meant to be? Because I feel like a gardener who bashes.

Quick Reply

Latest