The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Michy0812
No I mean the one in June that was the real exam

I did maths early so I havent a clue how this June one went haha
Original post by PointDexter
I dont even know if you can resit anymore as they got rid of the Jan entries i thought?
But id still like to do well on result day so i can focus whole heartedly on the subjects I love at A levels...not to mention it'd look embarrassing considering people keep telling me they'll laugh at me if i get As in some subjects.

lol to laugh at a B is fair enough but to laugh at an A, your friends must be arrogant... Laughing at an A is like refusing a new TV in your room :O
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by PointDexter
I did maths early so I havent a clue how this June one went haha

Oh right. We did an exam round about the same time as you but we got entered again because our maths teachers didn't want us to only have one attempt. Not that it will make any difference to my end result anyway...
Surely I'm not the only one who cannot wait for results day? The only thing I'm worried about is the smugness some of my friends will have, but **** them, you can't change your results, even if you felt you deserved better, you can always bounce back. Work with what you've got, a hope a levels are a different story!
Reply 24
Original post by jabire3
Surely I'm not the only one who cannot wait for results day? The only thing I'm worried about is the smugness some of my friends will have, but **** them, you can't change your results, even if you felt you deserved better, you can always bounce back. Work with what you've got, a hope a levels are a different story!

Well, you kind of can change your results. You can resit the test. At least you can at my school. I'd never bounce back anyway. I'd just hit rock bottom and start digging. I have a feeling that I will never stop putting myself down and believing other people are better but c'est la vie
Just think of it this way: whether you worry or not your results won't change, so there's really no need to worry. Just look forward to working hard at A-Levels.
Reply 26
Original post by Kamakazi145
Just think of it this way: whether you worry or not your results won't change, so there's really no need to worry. Just look forward to working hard at A-Levels.

You can resit exams at my school. You have to pay. I'm sorry but I cannot help but worry. My sister went to Oxford. I will always feel like the daughter who couldn't make her parents proud. It makes me sad to say that but that's just how I feel...
I am really worried about what my results will be. I was in all the top groups at school but I have one problem...I start panicking when I do exams. It doesn't even have to be a real exam, I even panic when I do a mock.
The subjects I am particularly worried about are maths, biology, physics, chemistry, geography and for some unknown reason graphics.
Maths is a major worry for me. I am terrified that all I will get is a C. That's all I could ever achieve in a mock but in class I was really good and I knew how to do everything with little help. My teacher has told me that I make stupid mistakes on tests which I know because I panic. I am worried about being a huge disappointment to my family, my teacher but most of all to myself. My sister who is 26 is very clever. She went to oxford. I think I compare myself to my sister a lot and I feel like I am the let down child.
I am worried about all of the sciences because none of the teachers I had actually bothered to teach us. Chemistry was a nightmare exam because we hadn't been taught anything on the exam and even one of the other science teachers admitted that to my class. I'm no trying to blame the teachers but my teacher for chemistry and physics only talked about football and FIFA and my biology teacher couldn't control the class. I am worried about my geography because we spent the vast majority of out time on coursework and then we had to teach ourselves out of booklets. As for graphics. I hate the subject and I do not wish to do anything with it after gcse level but I want to do well in it because I spent so much time on the coursework. I managed to get and a* and full marks which took up the majority of my time and I even had to go in over half terms. I found the exam pretty hard as our teacher just dumped huge revision guides in front of us and didn't bother to help us at all. I got an a in the mock exam and if you got an a* in the course work you go into the exam with a C.
I have actually started having nightmares about results day and I already know that I will be retaking some of my exams because I can't bare to see anything lower than a C.
I know I am going to feel like a complete and utter failure on results day. I am worried that I will be so upset with my self that I may actually do something stupid.
I know a lot of my insecurities stem from the fact that my sister went to Oxford. I also suffer from really bad anxiety so that doesn't help either.
Is anyone else feeling this way and how so you stop it?
Sorry for writing so much and thankyou if you read it all:frown:

I've been worried sick about results day too, I use to be a reallllly good student, in gifted and talented and everything but then in year 9 i started to go downhill bc of issues till the point after the mocks I was one of the worst students in the year group. So after the mocks i started to pick myself up again and ignore everyone around me and just revise revise revise (my teachers were awful just like yours so i self taught myself everything again) and yeah, I'm just worried that my efforts won't be rewarded cause I had to learn everything in 3 months and I worked really hard on it too. I'm just worried about english cause we get assigned sets in year 10 and I was put in a lower set and therefore had a really really bad english teacher.

My mum told me that i'm silly worrying and i'll do fine but i'm not sure, it really depends on the grade boundaries to be honest, good luck on results day we should be fine x
Reply 28
Original post by a-spiringmedic
I've been worried sick about results day too, I use to be a reallllly good student, in gifted and talented and everything but then in year 9 i started to go downhill bc of issues till the point after the mocks I was one of the worst students in the year group. So after the mocks i started to pick myself up again and ignore everyone around me and just revise revise revise (my teachers were awful just like yours so i self taught myself everything again) and yeah, I'm just worried that my efforts won't be rewarded cause I had to learn everything in 3 months and I worked really hard on it too. I'm just worried about english cause we get assigned sets in year 10 and I was put in a lower set and therefore had a really really bad english teacher.

My mum told me that i'm silly worrying and i'll do fine but i'm not sure, it really depends on the grade boundaries to be honest, good luck on results day we should be fine x

I really hope so. My mum tells me this too but I just find it too hard to believe her. I'm pretty sure I've a C in maths which I think will make me feel borderline suicidal no joke. I've got a U in chemistry because all my teacher talked about was football and FIFA.
I'm just going to have to work my butt off for the resits. I'm determined to do well in them. I know I will always be harsh on myself because my sister went to Oxford so I will always think my academic efforts will be invalid compared to hers.
I had a lot of anxiety problems during my exams. I was constantly worried about my dad who has nearly passed away three times which has also lead me to worry about my own health. I tried to push that aside for all my exams but I feel that I had spent too much time worrying than studying :frown:
You can resit exams at my school. You have to pay. I'm sorry but I cannot help but worry. My sister went to Oxford. I will always feel like the daughter who couldn't make her parents proud. It makes me sad to say that but that's just how I feel...

Oh are you in Year 10? Even so, worrying now won't change your results. If you do well, great! But if you do badly, so be it, accept it and just make sure you work harder in the resit. Also, I know what it's like having a rubbish science teacher, mine didn't have a clue what was in the exam. Lucky I noticed early and then taught myself everything using the internet and revision guides. Never depend on your teachers, always take your own notes because teachers rarely teach the full syllabus. They can miss out a few vital details that you'll pick up on during your individual note-taking/revision.

You are an individual. You are not your sister. Be proud of your results as long as you tried your best.
GCSE's require absolutely no effort. You could turn up to the exam hall and snooze for an A*. I did, I know.
Reply 31
Oh are you in Year 10? Even so, worrying now won't change your results. If you do well, great! But if you do badly, so be it, accept it and just make sure you work harder in the resit. Also, I know what it's like having a rubbish science teacher, mine didn't have a clue what was in the exam. Lucky I noticed early and then taught myself everything using the internet and revision guides. Never depend on your teachers, always take your own notes because teachers rarely teach the full syllabus. They can miss out a few vital details that you'll pick up on during your individual note-taking/revision.

You are an individual. You are not your sister. Be proud of your results as long as you tried your best.

No I'm a year 11. I just worry about disappointing my parents, my sister and myself. So many students at my school had complained about the science department but the teachers told us that it was our faults and that we were badly behaved. Some of the students weren't the best but for us in the top groups it wasn't exactly fair that we got lumped with the mediocre teachers
Reply 32
Original post by Harvey Dent
GCSE's require absolutely no effort. You could turn up to the exam hall and snooze for an A*. I did, I know.

Well, obviously your quite intelligent if you can do that but it isn't the same for all of us. No exam is easy and GCSEs do require effort. Maybe you were blessed with having teachers who could actually do their jobs but I wasn't.
No I'm a year 11. I just worry about disappointing my parents, my sister and myself. So many students at my school had complained about the science department but the teachers told us that it was our faults and that we were badly behaved. Some of the students weren't the best but for us in the top groups it wasn't exactly fair that we got lumped with the mediocre teachers

Then how are you able to resit exams? After you get your final subject grade, it's impossible to resit - unless you resit the entire course during college.
Reply 34
Then how are you able to resit exams? After you get your final subject grade, it's impossible to resit - unless you resit the entire course during college.

You pay to resit the exam. We have sixth form. You have to wait until the next June/July exams or you resit in November. I'm not sure which one
You have a bad anxiety problem. Just remember that what's done is done, so there's no need to worry now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 36
I am really worried about what my results will be. I was in all the top groups at school but I have one problem...I start panicking when I do exams. It doesn't even have to be a real exam, I even panic when I do a mock.
The subjects I am particularly worried about are maths, biology, physics, chemistry, geography and for some unknown reason graphics.
Maths is a major worry for me. I am terrified that all I will get is a C. That's all I could ever achieve in a mock but in class I was really good and I knew how to do everything with little help. My teacher has told me that I make stupid mistakes on tests which I know because I panic. I am worried about being a huge disappointment to my family, my teacher but most of all to myself. My sister who is 26 is very clever. She went to oxford. I think I compare myself to my sister a lot and I feel like I am the let down child.
I am worried about all of the sciences because none of the teachers I had actually bothered to teach us. Chemistry was a nightmare exam because we hadn't been taught anything on the exam and even one of the other science teachers admitted that to my class. I'm no trying to blame the teachers but my teacher for chemistry and physics only talked about football and FIFA and my biology teacher couldn't control the class. I am worried about my geography because we spent the vast majority of out time on coursework and then we had to teach ourselves out of booklets. As for graphics. I hate the subject and I do not wish to do anything with it after gcse level but I want to do well in it because I spent so much time on the coursework. I managed to get and a* and full marks which took up the majority of my time and I even had to go in over half terms. I found the exam pretty hard as our teacher just dumped huge revision guides in front of us and didn't bother to help us at all. I got an a in the mock exam and if you got an a* in the course work you go into the exam with a C.
I have actually started having nightmares about results day and I already know that I will be retaking some of my exams because I can't bare to see anything lower than a C.
I know I am going to feel like a complete and utter failure on results day. I am worried that I will be so upset with my self that I may actually do something stupid.
I know a lot of my insecurities stem from the fact that my sister went to Oxford. I also suffer from really bad anxiety so that doesn't help either.
Is anyone else feeling this way and how so you stop it?
Sorry for writing so much and thankyou if you read it all:frown:

:hugs: Don't worry, you're not your sister and you can only do your best. I was scared like you but I think you might be pleasantly surprised with your results! My results were 3 As 3 Bs 3 Cs and I'm still alive and have two university offers for September.

GCSE results really are not the end, depending what college you go to you can sometimes retake certain GCSE subjects along side your AS levels.

Most universities don't take GCSE results into account, even Oxford accept people who do well in A levels that didn't do so well in their GCSEs. When it comes to choosing universities, Oxford might not be the one for you.

Be your own person, accept that things can always be worse than a bad GCSE grade, a whole lot worse, and try to make the best out of your results whatever they are. Like I said, GCSE results certainly are NOT the be all and end all. Goodluck :h:
Reply 37
Original post by Zowidi
:hugs: Don't worry, you're not your sister and you can only do your best. I was scared like you but I think you might be pleasantly surprised with your results! My results were 3 As 3 Bs 3 Cs and I'm still alive and have two university offers for September.

GCSE results really are not the end, depending what college you go to you can sometimes retake certain GCSE subjects along side your AS levels.

Most universities don't take GCSE results into account, even Oxford accept people who do well in A levels that didn't do so well in their GCSEs. When it comes to choosing universities, Oxford might not be the one for you.

Be your own person, accept that things can always be worse than a bad GCSE grade, a whole lot worse, and try to make the best out of your results whatever they are. Like I said, GCSE results certainly are NOT the be all and end all. Goodluck :h:

Thanks. I never wanted to go to Oxford. Just a normal university will do. I want to become a philosophy or french teacher hence why I am choosing those at a level along with English lit and law
Reply 38
Thanks. I never wanted to go to Oxford. Just a normal university will do. I want to become a philosophy or french teacher hence why I am choosing those at a level along with English lit and law

You're welcome! I'm hoping to become a teacher too ^-^ I did English Lit for my A level, it's so good! You'll have to let us know how your results go.
Reply 39
Original post by Zowidi
You're welcome! I'm hoping to become a teacher too ^-^ I did English Lit for my A level, it's so good! You'll have to let us know how your results go.

I will when I get them :smile:

Latest