The Student Room Group

Irish People & People of Irish Descent

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Annie72
I'm 3rd generation, working class and a home owner. I've never had any serious abuse because of my ancestry, naturally I do get the obvious "spud basher" or "bog trotter"but they are meant in jest.

lol spud basher? points for creativity.

thanks for the contribution.
Reply 21
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
Around 2008/9. The guy was from an area where a bomb had happened so that was his beef.

ah ok. yea i think some people forget it wasnt all that long ago. there are still people walking around without parents because of all the crazyness that went on.

thanks for your contribution still.
I'm half Irish, have a second house in Ireland and have loads of family there who we visit regularly BUT no, I have never had stick for being Irish.
Reply 23
Original post by JayJay-C19
I'm half Irish, have a second house in Ireland and have loads of family there who we visit regularly BUT no, I have never had stick for being Irish.

second house? nice.
glad to hear.
thanks for the input.
I am 1/12th Irish and no you can't tell :P strangely enough I have an Irish name meaning "champion", I guess it's also a name amongst the Indian community to though
Original post by fojodef
second house? nice.
glad to hear.
thanks for the input.

yes, second house :smile:!
Reply 26
Original post by neal95
I am 1/12th Irish and no you can't tell :P strangely enough I have an Irish name meaning "champion", I guess it's also a name amongst the Indian community to though

yea theres a few irish names that are similar to indian names.

shea is an irish name, i know theres an indian name that sounds the same but i can't remember how its spelt.

and Tara. i think is another name shared by both indian and irish. exact same spelling too.
A lot British loyalist families (particularly in Scotland and NI) will frown on their sounds or daughters dating an Irish person, or someone of Irish descent or even partially of Irish descent.

Mixed marriages are still frowned upon by many in Northern Ireland (on both sides). Both group want to keep their sides 'pure' so their cultural and ethnic heritage is retained, its the reason why we have only 5% of NI schools integrated ffs.

I would saying being of Irish descent on the mainland could be a bother for some people (not most however), but I would say some English families would prefer their sons & daughters to date a ethnic Englishman/brit rather than a paddy.
They tend to like us across the water :biggrin: That's what I've found anyway.
Original post by TheWorldEndsWithMe
I'm Northern Irish, which to most English people is the same thing as just being 'regular' Irish (the number of times I had to explain the difference at uni... Obviously not everyone assumed they were the same, but a significant number did :s)

The worst I've had is people telling me they can't understand me tbh. My accent's thick, I say some words differently and I talk quickly.
There was a couple of terrorist jokes too (from people who knew the difference), and jokes about potatoes, but it's all in good humor so I really couldn't call it abuse or discrimination.

Not sure how helpful that is tbh. But it's at a point where I basically just go 'yeah I'm Irish' if I cba explaining the whole North/Republic thing. And I haven't had any trouble.

Sorry to hear you did have issues though :frown: that's not cool.

haha the more often you tell that story the wider my smile gets :biggrin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4V3Mo61fJM
Reply 30
I was born in Ireland, grew up here, live here but not of Irish heritage so don't consider myself particularly Irish.
I've never had stick for being Irish, though I'm sure I don't seem particularly Irish either (my name isn't Irish, my accent is much more diluted and anglicized compared to my siblings etc). When abroad people seem to like that I'm Irish.
The only time I had any sort of grief was when talking to a Scotsman who assumed I was Catholic (I'm not) when I said I was from Ireland. He was of the very religious, anti-catholic sort though so I think it was more a form of sectarianism/of religious routes rather than because I was from Ireland.
Original post by chl0eellen
I'm Irish and all my family is Irish, I've never known of anyone to be discriminated for being Irish :s ... but then again I still live in Ireland...

colleens a lovely name too or however yeh spell it
it helps
I'm 3rd generation. upper middle class and I have nobody really knows I'm half Irish. The only give away is my name. That said I have never even seen or heard of any dislike towards the Irish in my lifetime. My Uni is a pretty massive Irish Society and nobody cares about their heritage or upbringing. As far as we are concerned they are just like everyone else apart from a funny accent.

Actually the only thing I have seen is people asking some of the Irish to say 33 and a 1/3. But I think that is pretty justifiable. It is hilarious.
Original post by fojodef
obviously I'm aware I'm asking a certain audience here. (mainly middle class, safe background etc.)

but I'm curious

Have any of you had any sh*t for being Irish? (that your aware of)

Optionally
I'd be interested to know.

also if you respond I'd appreciate it if you leave your
if you are 1st, 2nd, 3rd generation / mixed descent
and possibly what class you are.

(living in a hostel, council flat/house, flat share, flat rent, house rent, house mortgage, house paid for. ruff area, nice area. blue collar/white collar family.)

No but my dad was.
Original post by Sharpshooter
A lot British loyalist families (particularly in Scotland and NI) will frown on their sounds or daughters dating an Irish person, or someone of Irish descent or even partially of Irish descent.

Mixed marriages are still frowned upon by many in Northern Ireland (on both sides). Both group want to keep their sides 'pure' so their cultural and ethnic heritage is retained, its the reason why we have only 5% of NI schools integrated ffs.

I would saying being of Irish descent on the mainland could be a bother for some people (not most however), but I would say some English families would prefer their sons & daughters to date a ethnic Englishman/brit rather than a paddy.

So if I'm English with an Irish surname, would I be barred from nailing some hot orange proddy babe by her dad?
Reply 35
Original post by TheAnusFiles
So if I'm English with an Irish surname, would I be barred from nailing some hot orange proddy babe by her dad?

yea u would.
Original post by fojodef
yea u would.

Even if all my grandparents were English too?
Reply 37
Original post by TheAnusFiles
Even if all my grandparents were English too?

maybe yea.
Original post by fojodef
maybe yea.

Thats not fair!
2nd Gen
Had some trouble. but uno. white. so i cant complain lol

Quick Reply

Latest