The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

Electrical And Electronic Engineering At Queen Mary

What is this course like at queen mary?, how many females actually take the course? Do these engineers have a good social life?
What are the hours on avg for first year undergraduates.
Original post by showaali
What is this course like at queen mary?, how many females actually take the course? Do these engineers have a good social life?
What are the hours on avg for first year undergraduates.

Honestly speaking, I think its terrible...........I know people after second year who actually left and went to westminister for the same course, except they considered the work from 2nd year they do isn't good enough, so they got to take entry exams and retake the 2nd year at Westminister. Reason why, is because they did their foundation there originally and stated that it is much better than whats on offer at QM.

QM is far too much taught modules, barely any practical work, you get one module where you do a group project in 2nd year and a project for the final year. But honestly its not enough, you go into these projects with absolutely no help and or any previous learning to how to do the work.

I did make a thread a while back, but didn't finish, frankly I lost motivation after the first year, they've changed the modules, though cut down or remodelled them slightly, but made the exams harder. Except the teaching is dreadful in some modules, and some of these modules are very important , you need to do some serious indepedent study, some were so bad that they would have a low turnout and even no one showed up cos the teaching was so bad for a module.

Thats my honest view point, the degree itself won't get you far if you plan on going into this field, after 2nd year, or 1st year take a year out and try to get a year placement in the field, it would get you a job and you'll far better off than your peers.
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Reply 2
Original post by Iqbal007
Honestly speaking, I think its terrible...........I know people after second year who actually left and went to westminister for the same course, except they considered the work from 2nd year they do isn't good enough, so they got to take entry exams and retake the 2nd year at Westminister. Reason why, is because they did their foundation there originally and stated that it is much better than whats on offer at QM.

QM is far too much taught modules, barely any practical work, you get one module where you do a group project in 2nd year and a project for the final year. But honestly its not enough, you go into these projects with absolutely no help and or any previous learning to how to do the work.

I did make a thread a while back, but didn't finish, frankly I lost motivation after the first year, they've changed the modules, though cut down or remodelled them slightly, but made the exams harder. Except the teaching is dreadful in some modules, and some of these modules are very important , you need to do some serious indepedent study, some were so bad that they would have a low turnout and even no one showed up cos the teaching was so bad for a module.

Thats my honest view point, the degree itself won't get you far if you plan on going into this field, after 2nd year, or 1st year take a year out and try to get a year placement in the field, it would get you a job and you'll far better off than your peers.

Ah wow, I'm thinking about moving from Westminster to do that course at Queen Mary. Here's my thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2793895
Original post by KKole
Ah wow, I'm thinking about moving from Westminster to do that course at Queen Mary. Here's my thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2793895

I would say you'll see the difference since you did your foundation at westminister.
From what I hear you guys have a dedicated labs building, about 3 floors, we really don't.
A 3 floor building dedicated to IT for our department as it includes comp sci, and 2 large rooms in another building, one with computers/work statons for elec eng and the other room mainly work stations.

Not enough practicals to be honest, have to learn things yourself, particularly C if you wanna use arduino uno, etc
Reply 4
Original post by Iqbal007
I would say you'll see the difference since you did your foundation at westminister.
From what I hear you guys have a dedicated labs building, about 3 floors, we really don't.
A 3 floor building dedicated to IT for our department as it includes comp sci, and 2 large rooms in another building, one with computers/work statons for elec eng and the other room mainly work stations.

Not enough practicals to be honest, have to learn things yourself, particularly C if you wanna use arduino uno, etc

Hmm I see. Thanks. It's still a tough decision for me; I know what westminster is like and I know I can manage the BSc course, BEng might be a tad more difficult for me. Uni isn't meant to be easy I know but of course I don't want to finish with a bad result. Do you know what kind of things we have to do and learn in the course?
Reply 5
any updates from you guys? did you go to queen mary then? i just applied to do EEE there this september?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending