The Student Room Group

I am an ex Muslim. Ask me anything.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by krazy prince
Francis Bacon, the famous philosopher, has rightly said that a little knowledge of science makes man an atheist, but an in-depth study of science makes him a believer in God. Scientists today are eliminating models of god, but they are not eliminating God. If you translate this into Arabic, it is La illaha illal la, There is no god, (god with a small ‘g’ that is fake god) but God (with a capital ‘G’).
Surah Fussilat:
"Soon We will show them our signs in the (farthest) regions (of the earth), and in their own souls, until it becomes manifest to them that this is the Truth. Is it not enough that thy Lord doth witness all things?"
[Al-Quran 41:53]

Actually, the more you study both science and the bible/quran, the more glaring the inaccuracies in the latter are.

Why doesn't allah/thor/vishnu/god/etc make a 10 minute appearance on camera and reduce the number of sceptics by 100 percent?
I too went through the exact situation when I was around 16 but then started to research on the real thing and was really obsessed with some questions but thing is now I am a Muslim by choice not just inheritance. U and everybody definitely needs to search on this topic and watch Dr Zakir Naik's videos on the topic , even if u were to stay an atheist. I respect Ur thoughts but just wanted to give a bit more food for thought.
After writing this much I think I should also state something about myself too. I am a Muslim (by choice) and student at king's.
Original post by Infinity_4652
can you give some examples? :biggrin:

the bit of Islam I find most disgusting is where men who will enter heaven get 72 virgins to have sex with

That's not true, there is no evidence of this in the Qur'an. In heaven you can have servants, but it's not just men who can have them but women too.

And regarding leaving Islam, I think many make it into a big issue because many see it as the true religion and find it hard to accept when someone turns away from it. As a Muslim myself I'm sad to hear that you lost faith, but it's up to you how you want to live your life. I'm very happy to be a Muslim and I hope you are happy too with your decision.
Original post by ronmack
Quran clearly says you CAN'T marry someone who has not yet reached maturity in three different places. .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuAqoKrtLcY

Your sources were wikipedia and stuff.

Use some common sense. until someone is around 18-22 years of age,a their pre-frontal cortex isn't fully developed and they are not capable of future planning etc. to their best ability. Mohammed had sex with a minor. If I had sex with a minor, I'm pretty sure I'd get arrested. It's sick what he did, as are a lot of parts of the Qoran. And please don't give it that "in those days it was normal". If Islam believes morals aren't subjective, then they cannot change from 1400 years ago, so by extension, your god condones paedophilia.
Original post by ExMus
If you are not interested, then leave...

@Ex Mus I will sooner, yes I do not like to discuss it but gaining some information might help :smile:. So please could you just answer the earlier questions?
Original post by HashimKF
Use some common sense. until someone is around 18-22 years of age,a their pre-frontal cortex isn't fully developed and they are not capable of future planning etc. to their best ability. Mohammed had sex with a minor. If I had sex with a minor, I'm pretty sure I'd get arrested. It's sick what he did, as are a lot of parts of the Qoran. And please don't give it that "in those days it was normal". If Islam believes morals aren't subjective, then they cannot change from 1400 years ago, so by extension, your god condones paedophilia.

Read previous posts, your the one who is not using common sense or watch the video
Original post by TheAnusFiles
Actually, the more you study both science and the bible/quran, the more glaring the inaccuracies in the latter are.

Why doesn't allah/thor/vishnu/god/etc make a 10 minute appearance on camera and reduce the number of sceptics by 100 percent?

As stated earlier , the not-so-sufficient depth of knowledge in science leads us to refuse Islam as science is still growing but still u find more than 1000 proves for Allah.
In respect to Ur second question why doesn't just Allah shows himself and makes it crystal clear to everyone that He is actually there?? Then brother for that u need to understand why we came to this earth ? Just to hangout with bunch of friends and earn some dimes and feed our families and then finish off from the face of the earth ??? I really dun like this idea that from the life of more than billion years this earth had we only live for 60,70,80 or so years ? And verily that isn't the case. I feel there is definitely something that doesn't look like to die any soon and that is our soul which is IMMORTAL. if u want me to prove that then I'll do upon request. So for a creator who has created our milky way galaxy which is 100,000 light years in diameter and contains 200 billion stars in it (I hope u understand how much is just a single light year) and furthermore who owns a universe of 93 billion light years (only known up til now which is still growing) , an owner of such things would just bother to show up Himself for just not even a handful of the creations that He owns. But still for some reasons Quran tells us that Allah did show Himself , just a very short glance, but this ground couldn't bear the NOOR of God and the mountain got destroyed. now if this doesn't really sound scientific then just think that if u cannot even watch the sun with naked eyes then how can u imagine to watch its Creator ( though Sun is only a tiny star and there are much much much greater stars than it around the universe). It just needs unbiased thinking to opt the right religion as I did in the past and now I am a Muslim by choice
Original post by Hassan20
@Ex Mus I will sooner, yes I do not like to discuss it but gaining some information might help :smile:. So please could you just answer the earlier questions?

Which?
Original post by ExMus
Which?

I would just like to know about your family's acceptance to this? From what I heard the mullah will declare you whatever they wish but the main thing is family. So your family members are fine with it? Coz seriously if I generalize this thing, For Muslim families I guess it is a very serious matter specially south Asians like seriously people would even disown their child. How well is it received or is it acceptable on your side? I would add one more: How did you actually convert or leave the religion? Like did you go to some priest or something?
Normally, when I meet an atheist, the first thing I like to do is to congratulate him and say, " My special congratulations to you", because most of the people who believe in God are doing blind belief - he is a Christian, because his father is a Christian; he is a Hindu, because his father is a Hindu; the majority of the people in the world are blindly following the religion of their fathers. An atheist, on the other hand, even though he may belong to a religious family, uses his intellect to deny the existence of God.

n mathematics there is a theory known as ‘Theory of Probability’. If you have two options, out of which one is right, and one is wrong, the chances that you will chose the right one is half, i.e. one out of the two will be correct. You have 50% chances of being correct. Similarly if you toss a coin the chances that your guess will be correct is 50% (1 out of 2) i.e. 1/2. If you toss a coin the second time, the chances that you will be correct in the second toss is again 50% i.e. half. But the chances that you will be correct in both the tosses is half multiplied by half (1/2 x 1/2) which is equal to 1/4 i.e. 50% of 50% which is equal to 25%. If you toss a coin the third time, chances that you will be correct all three times is (1/2 x 1/2 x 1/2) that is 1/8 or 50% of 50% of 50% that is 12½%.
A dice has got six sides. If you throw a dice and guess any number between 1 to 6, the chances that your guess will be correct is 1/6. If you throw the dice the second time, the chances that your guess will be correct in both the throws is (1/6 x 1/6) which is equal to 1/36. If you throw the dice the third time, the chances that all your three guesses are correct is (1/6 x 1/6 x 1/6) is equal to 1/216 that is less than 0.5 %.
Let us apply this theory of probability to the Qur’an, and assume that a person has guessed all the information that is mentioned in the Qur’an which was unknown at that time. Let us discuss the probability of all the guesses being simultaneously correct.
At the time when the Qur’an was revealed, people thought the world was flat, there are several other options for the shape of the earth. It could be triangular, it could be quadrangular, pentagonal, hexagonal, heptagonal, octagonal, spherical, etc. Lets assume there are about 30 different options for the shape of the earth. The Qur’an rightly says it is spherical, if it was a guess the chances of the guess being correct is 1/30.
The light of the moon can be its own light or a reflected light. The Qur’an rightly says it is a reflected light. If it is a guess, the chances that it will be correct is 1/2 and the probability that both the guesses i.e the earth is spherical and the light of the moon is reflected light is 1/30 x 1/2 = 1/60.
Further, the Qur’an also mentions every living thing is made of water. Every living thing can be made up of either wood, stone, copper, aluminum, steel, silver, gold, oxygen, nitrogen, hydrogen, oil, water, cement, concrete, etc. The options are say about 10,000. The Qur’an rightly says that everything is made up of water. If it is a guess, the chances that it will be correct is 1/10,000 and the probability of all the three guesses i.e. the earth is spherical, light of moon is reflected light and everything is created from water being correct is 1/30 x 1/2 x 1/10,000 = 1/60,000 which is equal to about .0017%.
The Qur’an speaks about hundreds of things that were not known to men at the time of its revelation. Only in three options the result is .0017%. I leave it upto you, to work out the probability if all the hundreds of the unknown facts were guesses, the chances of all of them being correct guesses simultaneously and there being not a single wrong guess. It is beyond human capacity to make all correct guesses without a single mistake, which itself is sufficient to prove to a logical person that the origin of the Qur’an is Divine.

Can you give the verses from the Quran which say the earth was round and that the moon reflects light? Can you give the name of the translator as well?

Look at these verses: 15:19, 20:53, 43:10, 50:7, 51:48, 71:19, 78:6, 79:30, 88:20 and 91:6
What do you think of them?

edit: aristotle said the earth was spherical and the moon reflected light. Does that mean he is a divine figure?

edit 2: read this http://www.answering-islam.org/Quran/Science/moonlight_wc.html
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Hassan20
I would just like to know about your family's acceptance to this? From what I heard the mullah will declare you whatever they wish but the main thing is family. So your family members are fine with it? Coz seriously if I generalize this thing, For Muslim families I guess it is a very serious matter specially south Asians like seriously people would even disown their child. How well is it received or is it acceptable on your side? I would add one more: How did you actually convert or leave the religion? Like did you go to some priest or something?

I did not tell my parents because I fear the response. And, no, I just left without doing anything.
Original post by ExMus
I did not tell my parents because I fear the response. And, no, I just left without doing anything.

Yep the right thing as it is very hard for any muslim family to accept this anyways I think you would be knowing better and yea thank you for the reply!
Original post by ExMus
Can you give the verses from the Quran which say the earth was round and that the moon reflects light? Can you give the name of the translator as well?

Look at these verses: 15:19, 20:53, 43:10, 50:7, 51:48, 71:19, 78:6, 79:30, 88:20 and 91:6

edit: aristotle said the earth was spherical and the moon reflected light. Does that mean he is a divine figure?

edit 2: read this http://www.answering-islam.org/Quran/Science/moonlight_wc.html

As a Muslim I see no problem at all with the verses you mentioned.

No Aristotle made a lot of mistakes and errors too. The Quran on the other hand gets everything right, AFAIK

No problem

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do you believe in freewill? If you don't what does that make you?
Original post by ExMus

Aristotle was not completely right on the things and Quran stands right on every single scientific thing it states. And I just mentioned four or five scientific theories explained in Quran but there are over 1000 verses which only and only speak about science and interesting thing is NOT EVEN ONE CONTRADICTS with what is already discovered by scientists. So it is not possible for anybody to write such a script 1400 years ago when even the simplest concepts were unknown e.g how a child is born or hydrological cycle but Quran explains this all plus explain few things that just the modern science discovered recently like Sun also revolves on its own axis :
"Each one is traveling in an orbit with its own motion” (Quran, 21:33; 36:40).
And another
V38- And the Sun moves on to its destination. That is the ordinance of the Mighty, the Knower.*
36-Ya-Seen, V38*[36-Sura Ya-Seen, V38]
And yet another
He created the heavens and the Earth with truth. He wraps the night around the day and wraps the day around the night, and has made the Sun and Moon subservient, each one running for a specified term. Is He not indeed the Almighty, the Endlessly Forgiving? ( Surat az-Zumar, 5)

And this only the sun. just go and watch the videos of Dr zakir naik . He is a great speaker on this topic.
As stated earlier , the not-so-sufficient depth of knowledge in science leads us to refuse Islam as science is still growing but still u find more than 1000 proves for Allah.
In respect to Ur second question why doesn't just Allah shows himself and makes it crystal clear to everyone that He is actually there?? Then brother for that u need to understand why we came to this earth ? Just to hangout with bunch of friends and earn some dimes and feed our families and then finish off from the face of the earth ??? I really dun like this idea that from the life of more than billion years this earth had we only live for 60,70,80 or so years ? And verily that isn't the case. I feel there is definitely something that doesn't look like to die any soon and that is our soul which is IMMORTAL. if u want me to prove that then I'll do upon request. So for a creator who has created our milky way galaxy which is 100,000 light years in diameter and contains 200 billion stars in it (I hope u understand how much is just a single light year) and furthermore who owns a universe of 93 billion light years (only known up til now which is still growing) , an owner of such things would just bother to show up Himself for just not even a handful of the creations that He owns. But still for some reasons Quran tells us that Allah did show Himself , just a very short glance, but this ground couldn't bear the NOOR of God and the mountain got destroyed. now if this doesn't really sound scientific then just think that if u cannot even watch the sun with naked eyes then how can u imagine to watch its Creator ( though Sun is only a tiny star and there are much much much greater stars than it around the universe). It just needs unbiased thinking to opt the right religion as I did in the past and now I am a Muslim by choice

But you don't have any evidence that 'allah' made that any more than Zeus did. Your logic is completely circular

Allah is the creator because the Qu'ran says so
The Qu'ran is correct because it's Allahs book
Allah is correct because he is the creator

You attempt to dress it up with some meaningless facts in an attempt to blind me with science but really it is all rather irrelevant.

You are presumably from a Muslim family and so have been indoctrinated with this rubbish from early on

My challenge: give me one piece of evidence for 'allah' existing that couldn't also be used for the Norse Gods being real
actually the thing is that Quran is a book of ALLAH and we cannot know ALLAH until we read the book through which He tells us everything, so in that way ALLAH is correct bcz Quran says so and Quran is the book of ALLAH so eventually both become correct when we measure it on the scientific basis. and no brother m not a muslim bcz of my family, there came a time on me like the creator of this thread and then i read different religions as well as islam and eventually ended up becoming a Muslim by choice bcz it clearly is right if u wish to really judge it on an unbiased basis. and for the evidence of ALLAH i already stated four to five proofs but i know they may be insufficient for many that is the reason i am constantly referring u to watch Dr Zakir Naik's videos and u will definitely know the truth. he compares different religions, proves the existence of God and tells why Islam stands out from the others.
(edited 9 years ago)
I am no Islamic scholar that is the reason i direct you to the Islamic scholar as he gives out the references for all the quotes he makes and talks much better and provides a good comparison between the religions. i am just an ordinary student like all but as i have searched on this topic back in time so after reading this thread i thought it might be some help.here is the link for a better guide.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2s14T6x5AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xC51Yn4hgQ
Original post by ExMus
Surah 21:33 actually says the sun is in an orbital as well as the moon. The sun isn't in an orbital

The sun actually orbits around the centre of the Milky Way galaxy. It takes over 200 million years for the sun to complete one orbit.

Quick Reply

Latest